Liquorice Quartet rough mix

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Liquorice Quartet rough mix

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 am

advice on mix is appreciated.
i think my 1st solo (after 1st verse) is way too loud. i also think rythem guitar should come up during keyboard solo (after 2nd guitar solo). what do you think?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/gabesbandsmusic.htm

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Re: Liquorice Quartet rough mix

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:22 pm

nothing? =(

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:43 pm

I'd like to hear it but don't want to sign up, can you post a link that gets me past that whole part?
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:16 pm

Agreed there Gabe. I would still keep the first solo a bit loud. Give it that old Iggy obnoxious effect. Definitely kick up the level on the second solo behind the keys. Also maybe eq the gtr differently during that part. Besides that the sounds are great.

Also if people can't get to the song try copying the link of the actual download to this messageboard I tried it and it worked.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3 ... 75357&q=Hi

See if Rigsby can get the song from the above stream link.

Doug
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:35 pm

I can't stream, i have to download.

rigsbysmith.com

dougo
pushin' record

Post by dougo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Rigsby,

Try this one.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/Download ... ID=1975357

Cheers,
dougo
"To live on the land, one must learn from the sea." Jacques-Yves Cousteau
1910-1997

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:36 pm

Cheers Dougo, but it just takes me to the sign-up page, and i don't want tons of e-mails from them and i can't be bothered with the whole getting a new e-mail account just so i can hear a song or two right now. Maybe i will tomorrow, i think it's bedtime. Thanks for your efforts though.

rigsbysmith.com

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:41 pm

i haven't gotten any emails from it yet, i just made sure to click all the right boxes, but i understand, cause it's a pain in the ass.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:05 am

For my money all the guitar tracks up to the hammond solo are a little loud, nice tone though, i'd just turn them down a little, leave a little more space for the drums and vocals. The snare's bit dull, might be nice to brighten it up or present it a little closer in the mix, it really does get lost at times. The hammond sound in the solo sounds a bit straight for the style of music i think, how about getting some sort of leslie sound in there?

The tune cut off after the hammond solo, don't know if the connection was cut or if that's the whole MP3 so far, but yeah, i think it's a good tune.

rigsbysmith.com

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:06 pm

Rigsby wrote:For my money all the guitar tracks up to the hammond solo are a little loud, nice tone though, i'd just turn them down a little, leave a little more space for the drums and vocals. The snare's bit dull, might be nice to brighten it up or present it a little closer in the mix, it really does get lost at times. The hammond sound in the solo sounds a bit straight for the style of music i think, how about getting some sort of leslie sound in there?

The tune cut off after the hammond solo, don't know if the connection was cut or if that's the whole MP3 so far, but yeah, i think it's a good tune.
yeah it cut off at the end. not sure why. i think to save space. the ending after that is rad vocal wise.

anyhoo, great advice on guitar stuff. the organ is a farfisa. we could prolly fuck with it a bit, but farfisas have that weird tendency to go from peircing to inaudible. i agree about the snares. think eq would suffice?

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:23 pm

I love it. I think the vocals could be slightly louder, though tame the S's. The song is great. I'd love to hear music from this band. Right up my style.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:45 am

gabewheel2000 wrote:i agree about the snares. think eq would suffice?
I think it might help. I don't think it needs to be really clear and present as the tune has a slightly dark feel to it anyway, but there are points when you get the feeling the drummer is giving it a fair whack and you can't really hear it.

rigsbysmith.com

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:18 am

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ wrote:I love it. I think the vocals could be slightly louder, though tame the S's. The song is great. I'd love to hear music from this band. Right up my style.
thanks, i'll post some more. vox are gonna go up. can you do anything about s's after tracking?

rigsby: do you think we could smooth it out if we just ride the faders a bit?

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:23 am

gabewheel2000 wrote:rigsby: do you think we could smooth it out if we just ride the faders a bit?
I guess it would depend on how closely miced the snare was, if there's loads of bleed then that's going to affected by fader movements too and might sound a little unnatural. I think i'd turn the snare up a little and give it a little more treble, if you wanted to be creative you might want to try the thing where you play the snare track into a speaker, place a snare next to the speaker which moves the snares at the bottom and record that, that might give you a little more natural treble than eq might.

rigsbysmith.com

MusicallyMrM
audio school graduate

Post by MusicallyMrM » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:26 am

:D Great Musical content. This sounds as though at has heavy Pink Floyd leanings. (Needs a dark ominous vocal) The instrumental balance is really hot(levels) but works well together; the vocals are too low in the mix. Some voice placement in the sound field could be tweaked just a bit for clarity. (panning) There were a few tuning problems (guitar) at the beginning of the song that seemed to clear themself up as the song went along.

What did you use to record this song? Was this digital or tape? It has a nice warm feel to it. I like that a lot.

Great song though. I really liked it. 8)

Listen To The Sounds Of Musically Mr M @ SoundClick
"Life Is Just A Game and they're many ways to play; All you do Is choose.........." Stanley Clarke