kissing barbara.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

kissing barbara.

Post by Zygomorph » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:39 am

http://members.cox.net/cellofellow/kbmusic.mp3

so for the past 2 weeks, i've been composing and recording this 3.5 minute musical for the middle part of a friend's 10 minute film about a man who falls in love with a bowl of oatmeal. will be filmed this summer.

this was totally a shoestring engineering project, since i was home for the winter. my carry-on lugguage consisted mainly of microphones! and yes, the bluetube preamp is one noisy pigfuck... i think it mainly needs a new tube, or none at all.

VS-880ex, w00+!@#

Me on Rhodes and Cello, Kurt Norby / David vox, Pat Seick on percussion. Libretto by Steven Coy, whose independent media co. you can find at http://www.betternonsequitur.com.

reactions welcome!

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: kissing barbara.

Post by Rigsby » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:30 am

Yeah, i enjoyed that, listened to it twice. I like the ambience of the recording, that the rhodes has a room sound for instance. Somewhere along the way the tracks aren't all quite sharing the same context in that way. The rhodes and cello are, but i'm not sure about the drums and vocal. Good stuff though, i'd be interesting in seeing the film when it's done too.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:44 pm

the fantastical (thus absurd) soundscape which changes from section to section is (mostly) intentional. that the ambient sound has no correspondence to anything objective (i.e. the space in which might see the characters singing the songs), and is instead indicative of the general subjective mood of the moment, makes it vaguely resemble german expressionist opera.

Velvetfreddy
audio school

Post by Velvetfreddy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:26 am

From time to time I go through a Kurt Weill jag, and this definitely has elements of Weill. Really enjoyed it. I thought the vocal was perfectly hilarious considering the context. I was a little concerned about the drums when they first made their entrance, but quickly grew to dig the "vaudevillian" aspects. They could have maybe been mic'ed a little more ambient, but that's just my opinion after hearing it 1 time. Liked the cello alot. Those Blue Tubes aren't really that cool, I like em for bass drum sometimes though. Seems like they have a mushy low end bump that is usable from time to time. I don't know how you used it for this stuff though. Keep up the good work--

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:35 pm

love the singer..sounds like that guy Dudley that sang some of SM's 69Love Songs..perfectly perfect for what its for..