My new band "The Paper Sound"...

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

My new band "The Paper Sound"...

Post by pedrohead » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:10 am

howdy, so i'm in a new band. i'm not writing the stuff, pretty much just doing lead guitar, arranging, producing, engineering stuff. curious what people thought of it. follow the link below if you want to give it a listen. thanks in advance.

http://www.helstab.com/creot/fhs/the_paper_sound

theposterkid
gettin' sounds

Re: My new band "The Paper Sound"...

Post by theposterkid » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:30 am

I went ahead and listened to "Raise A Glass."

Pretty fun song. At first I didn't like the vocalist, but the music kept going to different places, so I was able to stay interested. And dang, the end sure does get overdriven. How did you go about doing that in terms of what the instruments were doing? I think I could hear some synths in there somewhere.

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:37 am

hey there,
yeah, the vocalist is pretty new at all this. he's getting better as he goes along though. he's the songwriter, so it's really his vehicle.

um, as far as the end, like you said, it's pretty overdriven and fried on purpose. it's mostly the regular recorded tracks, but the drums are duplicated, 1176'd to death, distorted, and then run through some alesis modfx units (the bitrman and philtre i believe is what i used). manually turning some of the effect knobs create the synth like sound.

the little guitar lead of mine at the end is just the guitar plugged into a big muff on one side, and a turbo rat on the other, but plugged straight into the preamp instead of the guitar amp. just for that ratatat kind of fuzz sound. the bass is doubled with a big muff, and i think i duped the vox and ran them through some alesis stuff, but that's about it.

thanks for the listen. i'd be curious to hear what you think about the other tracks.

Zoltar
gettin' sounds

Post by Zoltar » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:46 am

boy, you compressed those cymbals so much they sound backwards sometimes. I like the sound of compressed drums, but this is at time confusing.

I like the mix, it has a Trial of the Dead feel to it. That said, maybe there is too much low end in the vocals? I don't know. The vocals need something. distortion?

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:52 am

Zoltar wrote:boy, you compressed those cymbals so much they sound backwards sometimes. I like the sound of compressed drums, but this is at time confusing.
i'm guessing you're just talking about the end of that first song "raise a glass"? if so, yeah it's supposed to be chaotic..."confusing" will work just as well :)

ataraxia
takin' a dinner break

Post by ataraxia » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:11 pm

oh my god does the vocalist not sound exactly like j robbins? i love the vocals.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:46 am

Listened to all 5 songs and I think they sound really great. Love the mix, the sounds, guitar tones and even the vocals. I have to agree with the J Robbins comparison.

I think I have to agree with the compression on the end of "raise a glass," in that it's actually klnd of disorienting. I think I got dizzy!

At any rate, this sounds like the kind of music I'd purposely go out and buy, so great work.

I'd really like to see what you used to record it -- how you mic'ed the drums, what amps/guitars were used, pre's for the different stuff, compressors, etc. Probably more info than you have time to provide, but for someone who is still learning, like myself, it would be cool to see. I love the drum sound.

-Bret

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:58 am

workshed wrote: I'd really like to see what you used to record it -- how you mic'ed the drums, what amps/guitars were used, pre's for the different stuff, compressors, etc. Probably more info than you have time to provide, but for someone who is still learning, like myself, it would be cool to see. I love the drum sound.

-Bret
hey there,

roughly for drums:
OH > 2xAT4047 > GRMP2NV > RNC > Mytek AD
SN top > SM57 > UA6176 > 001 AD
SN shell > SM57 > RNP > 001 AD
KICK in > Senn E602 > Joe Meek VC1 > 001 AD
KICK out > AT4033 > RNP > 001 AD
TOM 1&2 > Audix D2 > Octopre > Octopre AD
Hi Hat > Octava Mk012 > Octopre > Octopre AD
Closet > Octava Mk012 > Octopre > Octopre AD

guitars:
PRS custom 22, fender american standard tele, fender 1978 tele deluxe, fender american P-bass, gibson LP standard, gibson LP recording, gibson SG, rickenbacker 360, epiphone supernova, G&L asat bluesboy.

amps:
1960's ampeg J12, 1966 fender blackface deluxe, 1978 fender silverface super reverb, 1990's fender evil twin, mesa trem-o-verb, orange ad30r, vox pathfinder.

guitars recorded with SM57/SM7 for distorted sounds, sometimes an AT4033 for clean. all through the GRMP2NV > Mytek.

vocals were AT4047, SM7, Rode NTK all through the GRMP2NV i believe, using the 1176 side of the 6176 or the RNP for comp, into the Mytek.

hope that helps.

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:20 pm

hey there,

roughly for drums:
OH > 2xAT4047 > GRMP2NV > RNC > Mytek AD
SN top > SM57 > UA6176 > 001 AD
SN shell > SM57 > RNP > 001 AD
KICK in > Senn E602 > Joe Meek VC1 > 001 AD
KICK out > AT4033 > RNP > 001 AD
TOM 1&2 > Audix D2 > Octopre > Octopre AD
Hi Hat > Octava Mk012 > Octopre > Octopre AD
Closet > Octava Mk012 > Octopre > Octopre AD

hope that helps.
Damn, thanks a ton for posting all that info. You have some great gear. It's really helpful for me to see what gear gets what sounds, so thanks again for all of the detail.

-Bret
Last edited by workshed on Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pedrohead
steve albini likes it

Post by pedrohead » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:49 pm

no problem. i'm still pretty novice with it all, so i'm sure there is much better sounds to be had from the equipment i've got :)

i'm a pretty lazy engineer, i hook it up and if it works, it works.