long time listener, first time contributer

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

long time listener, first time contributer

Post by kristopher612 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:33 am

hey check out my mp3s. they're here
you'll have to sign in as kristopher612
with the password fender. thanks for you time, now give me an honest opinion please.

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Re: long time listener, first time contributer

Post by kristopher612 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:52 pm

is no one replying cos of the lack of webspace? i can't help it if i'm poor. please, someone, or someones check this stuff out. i'd like an opinion or two on the songs/recording. thanks for everything.
kris

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:09 pm

I tried to listen to the songs, but once I logged in under the specified names and clicked on the songs, nothing happened. I waited half an hour, but still no go. Wasn't sure why it was taking so long, especially since I'm using broadband. I'll try again though.
I am wangtacular.

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:49 am

kristopher612 wrote:is no one replying cos of the lack of webspace?
No one is replying because it's impossible to access your files. Make it possible, and they will.

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:06 pm

okay, sorry...i'll get it fixed.

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:18 pm

okay, it should work this time. i'm really sorry about messing up before. so let me know what you think. here they are.

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:55 pm

are the files still not working. it would really help if someone would say something.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:22 am

I actually downloaded from the Yahoo thing, no problem if a little slow. Normally I don't comment on these things 'cause all I've got to listen to them on are some particularly crappy laptop speakers, but here goes. Recording: the electric guitars sound reasonably good but the vocals are a little hard on my ears (could be in the delivery, not recording. Most likely a combination of the two). The drums are distorting in an unflattering way. All in all the recordings aren't too bad, though. Sounds like (whether it is or not) a budget vocal mic / cheap computer recording setup situation. Now, of a little more concern: the performances. The first and last tracks invoked some midway point between a particularly erratic Jandek (speak of the devil) and early Sonic Youth (especially the vocals). If the Jandek comparison horrifies you then I would recommend tightening up the playing considerably, especially the drums (those cymbals!). It all depends on what you're going for. On good days I have been known to enjoy Jandek albums. So what are you recording with? I'm curious.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:55 am

No one is responding because everyone is trying to be nice. I'll break it down. poop. Is this a solo project? If so CLICK TRACK ,CLICK TRACK ,CLICK TRACK. If not get that drummer some lessons.

The drum sound would probably work if played better...WAY better. But those cymbals are bad.

Guitar doesn't sound bad at all. It would work if the drums were played better.

Bass isn't really defined. It's hard to hear. mushy. But would sound ok if the drums were played better.

Vocals hurt at low volume. Sounds like you are singing while taking a shit.

I'm not trying to be a dick. Im just being honest.

-matt
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Abe
audio school graduate

Post by Abe » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:28 am

:wink:
I didnt think the vocals were that bad but the drums do stick out like a sore thumb. If the guitar was just recorded worse it might have all worked as a quirky Oly-rock type thing.
How was it recorded (4track/PC?) I’m assuming the drums were the only thing mic-ed & everything else went direct and that’s why they stick out like that (and the drum fills are slowing poor Ringo down). I’d say play with the drum mic-ing, compress, drop the drum fills and maybe tune the drums

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:28 pm

okay. thanks for being honest. i would much rather have that than no responses at all. the drums probably stick out like they do cos they're cheap, and even though i tune them and tune them, they won't stay that way...and one tom has the original cheap head. i don't have the money to replace these things right now. . the guitars were recorded with an mxl v57m. the bass was direct, and done in a hurry. and yes it's a 4 track/pc setup. very cheap, very utilitarian, very not all that great. and the cymbals were some cheapo solar cymbals that the kit came with when i bought it. the vocals are delivered as i saw fit at the time. i mean, how would you change them if you had the chance to? i have nothing but time, and these were exactly what i said...demos.
although i got plenty of comments on the first and third song, i got nothing on the second one...plan i think it was. i'd like some kind of something on that too. and yes i know it wasn't played all that well. i could not get my playing in time with a metronome on that one. i'm still working on that aspect of the song. and i think i get the point...play the drums better. okay, okay. i think part of the reason the vocals and cymbals are harsh is that there are some peaks in the highs on these mics. okay. thanks for the input. i'll get crackin' hjere in a couple of days.

Abe
audio school graduate

Post by Abe » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:49 pm

I’m a big fan of embracing limitation and using them as a tool. Necessity is the mother of invention. Embrace you shitty drums and figure out how to make them interesting. This message board is full of people saying, “how did you get that great weird bass sound” and things like that. I’m a big fan of lo-fi crap like Beat Happening, Half Japanese, The Vaselines the early Clean stuff. All that stuff is about crappy equipment or 1 or 2 chord songs and even bad recordings. But something shines though. Your songs could be re recoded with your same junk, a little creativity and some confidence and they could be great. A Great song recoded bad is 100 times better than a bad song recorded well. A good song that was never recoded is the worst.
I’m rambling.
Good luck.

Abe

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:00 pm

thatnks abe. i just did a ckicl/scratch guitar track to the third song i posted, and right after...the batteries in my metronome died. ahh! must have batteries to do a click, yes? yes. i think the way to do it with these drums may be to just tune them up before every take. what a pain. but it'll be worth it. and i tried repositioning the mics some, nd it sounds better just listening while i play through headphones. maybe it'll work out this time.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:19 pm

Alrighty. I'm all for home-recordings, and as Abe mentioned, I like a lot of music like the early Beck and Calvin Johnson sessions that were recorded with very little gear. But I have some suggestions.

For the time being, I'd advise that you hold back on *any* drum fills in your songs. You're performance on them simply isn't up to snuff yet, and whenever a fill slides in, the entire song slows to a halt, then starts up again. Very distracting. Fills are there for variation, but if it becomes a distraction, it hurts a hell of a lot more than it helps. So basically, keep your drumming very simple until you've got more practice under your belt (either that, or pick up a simple drum program like fruity loops). And don't worry about being too dull on the drums. Drums can work just fine as something that keeps beat and no more.

Also, when you hit the cymbals, don't stop playing the rest of the set. Again, it's really distracting. Crashes almost always sound best when accompanied by a strike of the bass drum. Work on making those more seamless or cut them.

As for the sound of the drums, I love the sound of trashy, poorly tuned drums. I wouldn't worry about the sound of them so much as your performance.

The rest of the song isn't bad. I wouldn't say it sounds great, but it isn't bad either. The drumming is bar far the weakest link. I'd advise starting over and re-recording this with stronger performance in mind.
I am wangtacular.

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:18 am

thanks.