Give this a listen

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Give this a listen

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:09 pm

Hey folks,
Can you tell me what you think of this mix?
Do you like the vocal level?
How about the vocal double later on in the song.
I got the chance to write the string score for this, so tell me what you think of that as well.
Cheers,
Raymond

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Give this a listen

Post by djdrake13 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:32 pm

I like the song as a whole. I think the vocals are a lil low.. but if you're going for that mazzy star sound, you found it. Her voice is beautiful and I'd bring it forward a bit more. The strings are a nice change to the track. I'm not sure how much I like the crashes.. they seem weak. Maybe overdub some more percussion there.

There seems to be some distortion on the later vocals?? Is that just my player??
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:36 pm

djdrake13 wrote:I like the song as a whole. I think the vocals are a lil low.. but if you're going for that mazzy star sound, you found it. Her voice is beautiful and I'd bring it forward a bit more.
...thanks man, we aren't going for that for sure, I'll bring them up a bit more.
The strings are a nice change to the track. I'm not sure how much I like the crashes.. they seem weak. Maybe overdub some more percussion there.
thanks! You might be right, I'm thinking of either pulling them back in the mix or adding a bit of verb.
There seems to be some distortion on the later vocals?? Is that just my player??
...no I think you're right, I think the mix is right near line of distortion, I need to tame that for sure!

THanks for your comments, they are totally what we were hoping to hear.

audioez
audio school graduate

HOT MIC

Post by audioez » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:48 pm

I didn't listen to the mixes yet...but in reading your reply to the first gentlemans comments. "that's what we were hoping to hear" ??? I'd say if you already know you have distortion somewhere, don't wait for a guy from New Hampshire to tell you your vocal is low, distortion, etc.

We all must do our best, with excellence in mind. Believe me I don't want you to think I'm a hard ace, but just think about all the other shmoes makin crappy sounding records. Why bother if you're not going make the best possible sounding recording within the means that are presented to you as the engineer....ok enough I'll go listen now, :x ez :P

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:23 pm

There's nothing wrong with asking outside opinions of your work, even if you think there is something wrong with a certain point. I'm always demo'ing my music to friends to see what they think, even if the song isn't finished or if I plan on changing something. It always helps to get another voice on the matter. It's too easy to over look things when you are constantly working on the same song, and you may find out that someone else likes something that you planned on changing.

Anyways, I think the vocals could come up a little bit as said before, but not the vocals toward the end of the song. I like the string part.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Re: HOT MIC

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 am

ezraudio wrote:I didn't listen to the mixes yet...but in reading your reply to the first gentlemans comments. "that's what we were hoping to hear" ??? I'd say if you already know you have distortion somewhere, don't wait for a guy from New Hampshire to tell you your vocal is low, distortion, etc.

We all must do our best, with excellence in mind. Believe me I don't want you to think I'm a hard ace, but just think about all the other shmoes makin crappy sounding records. Why bother if you're not going make the best possible sounding recording within the means that are presented to you as the engineer....ok enough I'll go listen now, :x ez :P
See...I wan't sure if it was just my imagination or not, the distortion is very slight, and the vocal level is such a subjective thing I wanted an outside opinion. You might know that if you'd listened to the track before posting.
If I wasn't trying to make the best sounding record possible, why would I even post here...ace.
Maybe you'll listen and post.