stuck in a rut and need ideas for a track

llllllllllllllllllllllll
ass engineer

stuck in a rut and need ideas for a track

Post by llllllllllllllllllllllll » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:35 pm

http://www.geocities.com/himynameisjamey/index.html

Okay, I've tried to approach this song as if Kevin Shields were a drummer, and I think I've done okay as far as that goes. However, nothing else seems to fit. I've tried to create parts for live instruments, but the best thing I've come up with so far is one guitar part with an infinite delay on it... kinda cool, but there's enough drone going on.

This was all done on a Fruity Loops and is a very rough demo---once I get it together, I'm going to enter the studio with it.

So anyways, I'm pretty new at this and I could use any and all ideas or critiques---I think the track has potential, it just needs lots of work. Oh, and geocities is horrible to work with, so don't be suprised if it doesn't let you access the page. :x
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Abe
audio school graduate

Re: stuck in a rut and need ideas for a track

Post by Abe » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:57 am

More drums! :)

misturpurfekt
audio school

Post by misturpurfekt » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:47 pm

Honestly, I agree with you that it has something there, potential-wise. But the drums are too repetitive, I think there need to be spots where they break into a simpler pattern, maybe almost a mellower, trippy, loose vibe. Since you've got an almost organ-like sound going on there, I think it would fit well. Then, of course, by all mean, go and slam home the drums again.

I hope this helps. I've been in a musical rut for about a month now. Hard to be creative when there's too much going on. But THAT'S another thread altogether... Good luck... :)
"90% of the time you're waiting for God to walk in the room. The other 10% is skill."
--Quincy Jones

Lostboy
gettin' sounds

Post by Lostboy » Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:23 pm

damn, i really, really like this. a lot. what a great idea! i definitely see the my bloody valentine comparison. i like the drones, i like the repetitive rhythms (to disagree respectfully with the above post). i like how the song builds with the slowly cascading organ tones. kind of feels like you're in a washing machine or something, getting tossed around while music is playing outside.

as far as another (live) instrument goes, i would add a guitar that comes in after the bass (which i'm assuming is synth?) that chimes over most of the mix, mirroring the descending bassline with a few slightly different notes to make it interesting. i don't think you would have to run the guitar through a delay (that would be too much!), but nice clean, trebly, ringing guitar notes would really open things up. then after the first rhythmic break (at 2:37) i would add something really distorted and huge sounding to make it all climax (as in, a wall of distortion).

i'm impressed with things how they are, though. these are just suggestions. i'd like to see how this turns out.

llllllllllllllllllllllll
ass engineer

Post by llllllllllllllllllllllll » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:26 am

More drums!
My computer would explode. :)
Honestly, I agree with you that it has something there, potential-wise. But the drums are too repetitive, I think there need to be spots where they break into a simpler pattern, maybe almost a mellower, trippy, loose vibe. Since you've got an almost organ-like sound going on there, I think it would fit well. Then, of course, by all mean, go and slam home the drums again.
I agree. Whenever I do something on fruity loops, I can't help but be repetitive. I'm going to run this by some friends and see if we can get a live version worked out, which should help establish more of a groove (which is difficult with programs drums) and more feel. I'm not trying to go for a cold Joy Division thing---I want to use technology to do what can't be done reasonably (i.e. playing with 5 or 6 percussionists), but not at the expense of dynamics. (All my dad would teach me when I started playing guitar [I'm 18] is blues, so I kind of have a soft spot for a nice vibe!)
I hope this helps. I've been in a musical rut for about a month now. Hard to be creative when there's too much going on. But THAT'S another thread altogether... Good luck...
Thanks a lot!
damn, i really, really like this. a lot. what a great idea! i definitely see the my bloody valentine comparison. i like the drones, i like the repetitive rhythms (to disagree respectfully with the above post). i like how the song builds with the slowly cascading organ tones. kind of feels like you're in a washing machine or something, getting tossed around while music is playing outside.

as far as another (live) instrument goes, i would add a guitar that comes in after the bass (which i'm assuming is synth?) that chimes over most of the mix, mirroring the descending bassline with a few slightly different notes to make it interesting. i don't think you would have to run the guitar through a delay (that would be too much!), but nice clean, trebly, ringing guitar notes would really open things up. then after the first rhythmic break (at 2:37) i would add something really distorted and huge sounding to make it all climax (as in, a wall of distortion).

i'm impressed with things how they are, though. these are just suggestions. i'd like to see how this turns out.
Yeah, I'm having a problem adding dynamics to this, especially with so much going on. I'm thinking of having a flutist or maybe a trumpet player recreate the droning synth parts for a Phil Elvrum type of thing. The clean guitar thing is a great idea. I think I'll use the infinite delay thing live to keep some of the drone going, but have another guitarist (hopefully me) do sort of an edge impression.

And yeah, the bass is a synth. I was going to try to add a bassline, but I just love the way the bass is holding everything together---its acting as more of an anchor than the drums are.

I kind of like the drums how they are, though. The whole idea was to have the drums sound like some huge machine, and then have some nice sounding synths and everything kind of balance it out. And seeing as the drums are being used more for texture, I'm having trouble coming up with a different part. Maybe a quiet/loud sort thing would work. Or maybe I'll just take away different drum parts and certain points.... who knows?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:52 pm

a real trupet part would be nice. kind of all over the place but really slow.

maybe a crazy change in tempo with the drums.

who knows. no rules apply to this song. have fun.. just add some realness... like a trumpet and it will sound great.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Lostboy
gettin' sounds

Post by Lostboy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:20 pm

i had this song in my head all day, came back and listened again, and realized that i want it to be twice as long!

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Post by cyrusjulian » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:25 am

Wow, I really dig your song. I'd like to suggest some sort of hypnotic vocal part coming in. Something that you can really make out the words too but that just loops like your drum part. I think depending on what that part ends up sounding like, could dictate where you go from there. Just my opinion. Must admit I never thought much of Fruity Loops until I heard your piece. Great idea!

Cyrus

cyrusjulian
takin' a dinner break

Whoops.. sorry, meant "can't make the words out"

Post by cyrusjulian » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:26 am

Whoops.. sorry, meant "CAN'T make the words out"