The return of ME

mofolotopo
audio school graduate

The return of ME

Post by mofolotopo » Wed May 07, 2003 5:22 am

Wouldn't ya know it? The day after I post my link, they change the forums. Here we go again, then:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/danwarrenmusic.htm

I do a lot of sampling-based music that sounds nothing like this, but Soundclick won't let me upload it. This particular song is a mishmash of quiet folky song and vintage electronica with a nice, loud, rock and roll passage in the middle. It's a very atypical song for me...hopefully I'll get some of my more cheerful and silly music recorded this summer (a lot of which borders on bluegrass), and I'll upload that as well.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Re: The return of ME

Post by eeldip » Wed May 07, 2003 9:39 am

hey, that song is pretty good.

better than well, actually it is up there with the best i have heard posted to this board.

no comments really other than that. sorry for being sort of paula abdulish here.
interested in hearing your other stuff...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 07, 2003 11:47 am

really nice song, i'd love to hear more. i think the guitar sounds especially cool, and i like how the lyrics were recorded. the drums as well, they have a nice distant feel that kinda adds to the overall i dunno, texture? was that an overhead? it sounds cool. can't wait to hear more!

mofolotopo
audio school graduate

Post by mofolotopo » Wed May 07, 2003 5:01 pm

Wow, thank you both! Since this is a recording forum, I'll now proceed tell you more than you probably care to know about how I recorded it.

I was trying for the vocal atmosphere of the old Brazillian music I like so much; that incredibly intimate sound like someone whispering into your ear. The vocals were actually recorded in a Nissan Pulsar parked in my garage, stuffed with pillows. It's the best iso booth I can afford. I used an FMR Really Nice Compressor and the preamps on my Seasound Solo.

The drums were recorded with two mics placed at opposite ends of the house. All I've got at the moment is a two track DAW, so I had to do the best I could with those two mics. After a lot of experimentation, I came to realize that my room sounds like crap and the best I could do was to try and fake a better one. All in all, "nice distant feel" is very perceptive!

The cheesy drum machine was a Memphis Blue Beat, one of the silliest drum machines ever made. It looks like a guitar pedal, and sounds like...well, you've heard it. As a matter of fact, you've now heard every drum sound it makes, pretty much. Only the rhythm changes.

The guitar was done several ways. The distorted guitar is going through a Peavey Classic 50 in the bedroom. The clean electric sound was direct through a Boss GT-6 using an amp sim. The "acoustic" was a simulator also, since I can't afford a good acoustic right now. I'm hoping to get one after I relocate this summer; if so I may try rerecording that part.

The keyboards, strings (so quiet you may not have noticed them), and such were all just DXi's in Sonar. Not much to add to that, it was all pretty cut and dried.

As I said, probably more than you ever wanted to know. Thanks again for your kind words, I really do appreciate it!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sat May 10, 2003 5:03 pm

no way, i love hearing about all this sorta stuff. i'm actually amazed, what you can afford sounds great! keep using what you can, i'd love to hear more of this!