my solo project...(shoegazer stuff)

bert
gettin' sounds

my solo project...(shoegazer stuff)

Post by bert » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:19 am

so I moved to Los Angeles for 2 months with the intention of recording my own music full time. I lived in a littel cottage in the hollywood hills and slept till 1pm everyday, ate in n' out and starbucks all the time and didn't have a job. This is what came out of it. If you like MBV or Kinski or Mogwai I'd be interested to hear what you think of the one song i posted so far.
go to chuckbeat.com and click on the project called "they were burning"
Hope you all are doing well.
thanks
-bert

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: my solo project...(shoegazer stuff)

Post by bobbydj » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:49 am

Couldn't hear the mp3 cos fucking dial up shit fucker piss.

But if the music's anything like that photo it must fucking rule. Is that infra red?? How'd you get that effect. Awesome.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:59 am

I thought it sounded real good. How many guitars?

What's the deal with chuckbeat, is it just a little collective? I like that personnel page with all the random block letters flying around.

Tom

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:04 am

thanks for the props guys, and to answer your questions:
-The photo on the mp3 page is actually 2 photos that I fucked with. the pic of the road and all the trees and foliage was the road out in front of the house I was living in inLA. That was taken in the daytime that's why the trees and road are illuminated, and the view of the downtown skyline was taken at night and that's houw it naturally looks, I guess it's all the pollution. I just cut out the daytime sky and threw it over that nightime pic. and I put some light filter things on it.

-chuckbeat is a collective of artists and misicians that just want to put their music and art out there for ppl, ALot of us are in sf, but thhere's a buncha ppl all over the country and a few in eurpope who are contributing now.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:16 am

bert wrote:thanks for the props guys, and to answer your questions:
-The photo on the mp3 page is actually 2 photos that I fucked with. the pic of the road and all the trees and foliage was the road out in front of the house I was living in inLA. That was taken in the daytime that's why the trees and road are illuminated, and the view of the downtown skyline was taken at night and that's houw it naturally looks, I guess it's all the pollution. I just cut out the daytime sky and threw it over that nightime pic. and I put some light filter things on it.
Wow - is that how it was done?!? That's ace. Love it. I'm gonna go back and have another look. Nice one.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:02 am

i love those bands, and really enjoy this song. nicely done, the guitars sound nice (though could be a little fuller), and that's an interesting drum sound. is there bass guitar in this song? if so, i'm not hearing or feeling it much... perhaps turn it up?

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:04 am

I can see myself driving through LA at 3 am stoned listening to this..

not a big fan of the snare though. I love the guitars. You compressed the whole song and had a really slow release which makes the song wierd to listen to.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:23 am

This is really good. If you want me to nit-pick, I'm not crazy about the snare sound, but the guitars sound great and the length of the song was just right.

And that photo is awesome, too.
I am wangtacular.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:31 am

Hey Bert,

I don't know if you remember me (Justin...bass player) but I am in Yellowdancer w/Paul Miller of new left right fame. Anywhoo good stuff man, I really like it. If you are planning any shows (up here) let me know I will totally go.

justin

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:07 am

so, the song is going to be remixed and I'll post that once it's done. it'll no doubt sound alot better.
I can't wait!

-bert