Tapeop Song Creation PARTY! Song BATTLE!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Tapeop Song Creation PARTY! Song BATTLE!

Post by wing » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:20 am

Ok, here's the idea. I hope we can do a series of these. I'm going to give you an MP3 of a drum beat I just recorded. Import into your audio programs or whatever, and do what you want with it. Cut off the beginning, chop up the beat, add effects, play guitar or bass on top of it, add vocals, track some piano or keys over it, do whatever you want.

The idea is to see how many different songs can be created out of this one beat. I want this thread to grow. I hope as many of you as possible will take a moment out of your time any chance you get to just lay ideas down on top of the beat.

It's ok to create a song, upload it, and have others play off of it... but I want this to be more or less like a contest. Who will come up with the best song? Of course, that's all subjective to opinions, but it'd be neat to see what kind of creative ideas can float around. I've always wondered how many different sounding songs can be made with one beat. Now, this contest has no deadline (at least not for now), and now real judging of a winner. This is just a fun way to see what kind of songs we can all come up with.

But also, do feel free to work off other's songs. Like, if you only play bass guitar, feel free to add bass to this song and upload it, and others can pick up where you left off and add guitar or keys or vocals or whatever, etc etc.

Here's the beat:
http://www.headexplosion.com/jonathan/a ... /drum1.mp3

I know mp3 quality is worse than wav... but come on, we don't have that kind of space and time... just work with mp3 and have fun.

Note about the beat: First of all, The beginning was just be doing some tests and getting ready to play. I kept it in the recording in case any of you may find something interesting to do with it. Second of all, sorry if I'm off tempo, I just sorta did this improv this real quick and I'm too lazy right now to redo it. Also, I hope you like the wacky stereo image! Right channel is really compressed, the other not so much... it made for some crazy sounding shifts in the sound, so I hope you enjoy it and I hope it will provide you with some creative inspiration and ideas.

Hope you guys find the beat to sound good... sorry the cymbals are sooo loud, i know, it's cause of the mic'ing and compression. Three mics... two overheads and one room mic. Had I a mic on snare and kick, it probably would have sounded much better. But who cares? Just make songs and have fun with it!! :rockin:

This is what TapeOp was meant for. I'd be sad and ashamed of all of you if no one bites this.
Last edited by wing on Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Re: Tapeop Song Creation PARTY! Song BATTLE!

Post by jebjerome » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:23 am

The link is broken.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:25 am

jebjerome wrote:The link is broken.
sorry, try again, i was still uploading the file ;)

Current Resistance
gettin' sounds

Post by Current Resistance » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:32 am

fantastic idea...i'll give it a whirl tonight! lets keep this going for a while though...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:53 am

ok, some are telling me the snare sounds terrible. what do you guys think? if all of you agree, i'll redo it with a freshly tuned and better mic'ed snare. but right now i'm feelin kinda lazy... is it really THAT bad?

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:00 pm

I cant wait to go home and mess around with this. I havent even heard it yet but its a real cool idea...

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:37 pm

Sheesh! I go through all the trouble of explaining stereo compressor linking, and you go and abuse it!

Actually, it pretty cool when you stop playing and the tom ring slides over to the right side.
******If you had hella compressors, you could run the hi tom to one pair, compressed hard on the left, and the low tom to a stereo pair, compressed on the right as you have now. Then, when you hit the hi tom, it rings over to the left, and the floor tom rings over to the right. Like the drums go from center to wide as it rings out.
Somebody do that some day!

I don't have the capability to help with this idea though. No computer at home!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:48 pm

Electricide wrote:Sheesh! I go through all the trouble of explaining stereo compressor linking, and you go and abuse it!
these things are meant to be abused! i think it sounds crazy and i like it ;)

my favorite thing about it is how the drums and cymbals mostly attack on the left, and release the sound on the right. it sounds really weird and really cool.

well have fun everyone!

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:54 pm

I have not heard it yet as my work computer has no speakers, but I will give it a go tonight Jonathan.

ahmed

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:00 pm

I'm in.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:44 pm

do we have a time limit? I'm driving myself nuts from my own band recordings, but I'll d/l the track and see if I can do anything with it...

might take me a few days, though..
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:50 pm

housepig wrote:do we have a time limit? I'm driving myself nuts from my own band recordings, but I'll d/l the track and see if I can do anything with it...

might take me a few days, though..
no no, of course not, no time limit... it'd even be cool if this thing went on for weeks, months, that'd be all the more fun!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:56 pm

oh yuck, i realized how off-beat i was half way through the song... how terrible. i apologize for the poor tempo, i promise i'm usually not that bad when it comes to timing... and i hope you guys are still able to work around it.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:49 pm

Cool post. lurked these boards for a while, only just joined. Lets see what I can mess with on your track.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:09 pm

Hey, sounds like fun, supposed to be doing homework now so will be doing it in a bit.