The Beat Union - Beat of the Week #002 (2/12-2/19)

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: The Beat Union - Beat of the Week #002 (2/12-2/19)

Post by joeysimms » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:46 am

My usual technique for recording handclaps -if the song is based on loops or played to a click track (like this one)- is as follows. I set up Logic Audio to record one measure looping over and over again. I usually use one of my DIY omni's because I like the way it picks up the room (although I think I used by SP B1 on this track because it was up). So then I record - either to a loop or a click - and Logic Audio is just staking up these little bars of handclaps. After about 3 minutes of clapping I have like 92 measures; sometimes I stop and move mics or myself around to get a different sound and do it again. Then I take all those measures and move them- I like to make a loop of the handclaps that's an odd number of bars - 7 or 13, say- so that if there's any irregulars, the listener won't hear them in the same place everytime (and so, presumably, won't notice them.) I usually stack 7 or 8 tracks of handclaps panned variously, and then I bouce down and voila! a stereo track of handclaps. On this song I added some sample delay to the left, just to spread it apart a bit. I think I added a bit of reverb, too, but I can't remember.

Anyway, that's how I usually (and quite often) record handclaps.
Wow.. I just get 2 or 3 people around a mic, run 3 passes, and bounce them to one track..

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:52 am

joeysimms wrote:
My usual technique for recording handclaps -if the song is based on loops or played to a click track (like this one)- is as follows. I set up Logic Audio to record one measure looping over and over again. I usually use one of my DIY omni's because I like the way it picks up the room (although I think I used by SP B1 on this track because it was up). So then I record - either to a loop or a click - and Logic Audio is just staking up these little bars of handclaps. After about 3 minutes of clapping I have like 92 measures; sometimes I stop and move mics or myself around to get a different sound and do it again. Then I take all those measures and move them- I like to make a loop of the handclaps that's an odd number of bars - 7 or 13, say- so that if there's any irregulars, the listener won't hear them in the same place everytime (and so, presumably, won't notice them.) I usually stack 7 or 8 tracks of handclaps panned variously, and then I bouce down and voila! a stereo track of handclaps. On this song I added some sample delay to the left, just to spread it apart a bit. I think I added a bit of reverb, too, but I can't remember.

Anyway, that's how I usually (and quite often) record handclaps.
Wow.. I just get 2 or 3 people around a mic, run 3 passes, and bounce them to one track..
hehe, me too... after reading that my mind was boggled over its complexity. but hey trashy, if you're comfortable with taking this long route, and like how it sounds, more power to ya! :D

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:00 am

Funny, it really isn't as complex as I make it sound. When I don't have 2 or three people to record this is what I do. It makes it sound like there's 28 people in the room all clapping away. It takes maybe 3 minutes, total...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:04 am

trashy wrote:Funny, it really isn't as complex as I make it sound. When I don't have 2 or three people to record this is what I do. It makes it sound like there's 28 people in the room all clapping away. It takes maybe 3 minutes, total...
well then i guess i'll have to try it!

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:26 pm

Trashy, the part that bust in after teh break is really brilliant.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:59 am

jajjguy wrote:Trashy, the part that bust in after teh break is really brilliant.
Thanks!!

Wow, brilliant, eh? I always thought I was a little on the bright side, despite what my teachers, parents, employers, co-workers, friends, girlfriends, and various random people said.

Here's how I did it: first, I circumnavigated the globe on my fingertips. Then I built my own guitars (which I always do for every new recording). I didn't build my own amps, of course, because by this point I had gone back in time and there were no such things as amps. So I did most of the important research and experimentation needed to invent the science of physics, and then I worked from there. I didn't use any mics; instead I imported an technology from an extra-terrestrial civilization- an optical technology which deduces air pressure readings from the Brownian motion of minute light-scattering particles called Dutons. I recorded each guitar part (there are 200) exactly 56 times, moved the Duton meters and record another 56 times. Towards the end, I had to fight of an invading army of giant flesh-eating robots (and that's the sound I used for the bass), but I think it came out okay.

It's really much less complex than I make it sound...

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:13 am

Hey Guys! I have finished my beat #2, but it's 21 MB and my yahoo briefcase only allows 15 MB transfers.

Anybody have some place I can post this song???

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:34 am

You can't make it an mp3?!? Or is it like 25 minutes long?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:52 pm

i could mp3 it tonight, I guess....

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:58 pm

Electricide wrote:i could mp3 it tonight, I guess....
yea man, don't worry so much about super quality.. this is supposed to be a really fun, open thing we have going, so by using wav you'd reduce the likelyhood people would be willing to download and listen...

can't wait to hear it! :)

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:30 am

ok, so here it is. As you can tell I don't care for lyrics so much. This is all direct through stock sound card into Nero Soundtrax, some bogus multitrack that comes with the cd burning software.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/cman548

hooray!

PS I can't listen to this file at work, so let me know if it works, and how it sounds.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:50 am

Electricide wrote:ok, so here it is. As you can tell I don't care for lyrics so much. This is all direct through stock sound card into Nero Soundtrax, some bogus multitrack that comes with the cd burning software.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/cman548

hooray!

PS I can't listen to this file at work, so let me know if it works, and how it sounds.
man, you are the king of creating anthem music! i like this... i like the feedbacky wall of guitars/synths in the background.. very cool. what did you use?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:05 am

anthem!? ah crap.

I used my Epiphone LP Standard Plus through a Yamaha magic stomp for the high "melody" and low drone up the middle.

I borrowed the girl's old Yamaha consumer keyboard, put it on pipe organ, and ran that into the magicstomp's "Rotarian" for that leslie thing. The other keyboard parts were keyboard bass patches through the stomp for effect. That keyboard really has nothing usuable by itself.

I'd love to mic the amp..it's a perfectly good pathfinder going to waste. Just need some cables and stuff.

When i was 'mixing', all i could say was "crap, what happened to the high end?" Hopefully upgrading parts soon.

HEY! NEXT BEAT IN 7/8, okay?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:24 am

come on you punks, say something about my song. Don't let the love fest known as Beat Union die after number two.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:48 am

Electricide wrote:HEY! NEXT BEAT IN 7/8, okay?
seriously? hmmm... alright, but i'm afraid not as many would want to play to it... the beat union seems to be losing popularity already :( only one song for #003... :( :cry: