What records are you really pleased to own (vinyl, I mean)

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Re: What records are you really pleased to own (vinyl, I mea

Post by A.L. » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:10 pm

littlebrothersclothes wrote:... which reminds me, one of the coolest records I own is the Sun City Girls 78 (10"). Fortunately my tt will play that speed ...
Nice. It drives me crazy how out of print a lot of their stuff is, though they've been re-issuing their old skrony tapes on double LP lately. I've got the 30,000 Crossdressers... triple LP which is pretty sweet.

littlebrothersclothes
pushin' record

Post by littlebrothersclothes » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:49 pm

<gloat>I have all three Placebo LP's and (if not all) about 8 of the LP's on Majora (including Torch of the Mystics). And a couple of their cassettes.</gloat>

Haven't been the completist I used to be for about 10 years, though ...

Doug

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:49 pm

littlebrothersclothes wrote:<gloat>I have all three Placebo LP's and (if not all) about 8 of the LP's on Majora (including Torch of the Mystics). And a couple of their cassettes.</gloat>
SOOOOOO wanna send me some tapes? Mailing address at my WWW link. heh heh. I've got TOTM on CD but those Placebo LPs... wow I'd like to hear those.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:00 pm

OK. so I've been really into picture discs lately. I just picked up Dawn of the Dickies and The Incredible Shrinking Dickies and the first Damned (ST) all on pic disc. OK, I know, they're all modern iossues, but cool nonetheless. I'll never play 'em.

Yep, there's one born every minuite.

S/H
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:03 pm

Sissy --

I have two picture discs in my entire record collection. One is a souvenir record from the 1984 World's Fair. The other is the picture disc of Stryper's "To Hell With The Devil" LP. I dare you to top that.

-- Pine

EDIT: The World's Fair picture disc is apparently quite rare because when the merchandising for the Fair tanked, a large number of them were made into wall clocks. So I'm told.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:15 pm

Iris Dement played at a college radio and then they released it on vinyl, only pressing a few dozen. I have one.

I'm glad I own Langley Music Project on vinyl. That and Beth Gibbons' Out Of Season.

I have Ah Via Musicon on Vinyl, which is really rare and much appreciated. Pretty much any Phil Collins stuff on vinyl. I own most of the Bis 7 inchers. Nico's Camera Obscura.

I don't have much vinyl or music, but what I have I'm really happy with.
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:26 pm

pine wrote:The other is the picture disc of Stryper's "To Hell With The Devil" LP. I dare you to top that.
Oh my god no effing way. I can't. I just can't. I'm gonna go burn the house down now. I am so not worthy... :cry:

S/H
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

the woodbee
ass engineer

Post by the woodbee » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:09 am

Each One Teach One by oneida, some of the finest psychedelic music to be made in recent years and only 500 in print all silkscreened by hand and im lucky enough to own a copy even though most people dont even know or care to know who they are

littlebrothersclothes
pushin' record

Post by littlebrothersclothes » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:20 pm

A.L. wrote:
littlebrothersclothes wrote:<gloat>I have all three Placebo LP's and (if not all) about 8 of the LP's on Majora (including Torch of the Mystics). And a couple of their cassettes.</gloat>
SOOOOOO wanna send me some tapes? Mailing address at my WWW link. heh heh. I've got TOTM on CD but those Placebo LPs... wow I'd like to hear those.
Well, it looks like we're both in Oakland, so it wouldn't be too difficult for you to hear them ... (feel free to send me a PM).

Doug

mtw
gettin' sounds

Post by mtw » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:11 pm

Sealed copy of Einstein on the Beach, Tomato Records pressing.

The version on Tomato/Sony is so great... it's cool to hear the musicians stop to take a breath or give their hand a short rest. The new recording is awesome for completely different reasons... but that original has so much character.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Post by Kyle Motor » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:44 am

This is fun.

Kinda rare:
Little Richard's first LP on Specialty, unforturneately without the cover.
Everly Brothers "Escpecially For You" EP on Warner, NM.
The Charades "Make Me Happy/Shang Lang A Ding Dong" on United Artists, promo copy, b-side great doo-wop with strange mid-east flavor, a-side uptempo doo-wop with free-jazz sax solo (!)
Temptations 45 on Miracle, way before Motown took off.
Orphan Egg, rare psych LP by a high-schoolers that won a battle of the bands, so they got a record deal! It's actually very good, has a great/weird cover of the Everly's "Bird Dog" with lotsa fuzz guitar.

Not really rare, just cool:
The Snakes "I Won't Love You Till You're More Like Me" on Dischord
The Human Beinz "Nobody But Me" LP, I got it still sealed, I'm glad I opened it.
Green "Elaine MacKenzie", great Chicago power-pop.
Isley Brothers "It's Our Thing", why this hasn't been reissued is beyond me, the greatest funk party album ever.

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:44 pm

I just pulled it out and discovered that my copy of Captain Beefheart's "Clear Spot" on clear vinyl that I mentioned back on page 5 of this thread is also a white label promo. :shock:

You know what's a great album to have on vinyl? Meat Puppets "Up On The Sun."
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:57 pm

I have the Beatles' Christmas Album, a fan club-only compilation of all their Christmas greetings records, worth something like 70 pounds. I have one of the originals (1967? can't recall the exact year) printed on Flexidisc.

I also have a bootleg copy ("Lemon Records") of Let It Be called "Get Back".

In other news, I have Springsteen's Nebraska.