AllMusic vs Tom Petty

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

AllMusic vs Tom Petty

Post by Girl Toes » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:54 pm

I don't know if its political or what. I do tend to trust AMG's reviews a lot when I am thinking about picking up records by a band I don't know yet, and don't know what to get. I am completely bugged by them giving just 1 1/2 stars to Tom Petty's "The Last DJ," his most recent album that came out in late 2002.

I picked this album up almost a year ago, and it turned out to be a sharp and wonderful attack on the current state of the music business. I think it is one of his best albums, turning into more of a protest album than a standard Tom Petty album. But still wonderfully done with nice great hooks and wonderful music. I think this is one of the best new albums I've heard in years, no doubt attributed to the many of the things Petty complains about.

I just want to make sure that this album gets a good review, I am do not understand how this album falls in to the 1 1/2 star catagory. Even if you disagree with the lyrics, the music still is great, and it is a strong record. Who is behind those album reviews?

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Re: AllMusic vs Tom Petty

Post by jamoo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:01 pm

That's the problem with music reviews, they're just opinions. I haven't heard the latest, but most Petty I've heard is classic, IMO.

HypCo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by HypCo » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:10 am

I personally consult the amazon.com reviews. You get an overall rating from general listeners instead of just one guy. BTW, the album gets 4 out of 5 stars over there.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 3-7941631?

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:06 pm

You know, I think ALLMUSIC was prob'ly sold to some label. They were just this cool homespun idea - and now the new format, the email registration... leads me to believe that somebody is pulling the strings. Is it any surprise that an artist who dared question the state of the industry gets a bad review??? That said, I'd love to take bets on whether TP stays awake at night worrying about that review... Shit I'll give good odds!

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:14 pm

T.P.'s last album got slated in the press over here in the u.k. as well.
I haven't heard it, so i can't comment.

All i can say is "Echos" was a big disappointment for me.

Oh well, still got Wildflowers to listen to.

Al

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Post by stillafool » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:07 pm

I think one and a half stars is too good for that idiot.

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:20 pm

I love the last album. Couple good rockers on there (Lost Children, When A Kid Goes Bad, and the end of Cant Stop The Sun).
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:06 pm

stillafool wrote:I think one and a half stars is too good for that idiot.
Bite it pal

Al

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:12 am

I love Tom Petty, but I gotta say, that last album pretty much blows. It was weak musically, and the lyrics were about as adroit as the ones written by your local 14 year-old punk band railing on the government.

That said, "Wildflowers" is one of my favorite albums of all time. And his older stuff is good as well. Hell, "She's the One" is pretty great.

If you think that Tom Petty getting slammed is a bad thing, it's a real crime that Anal Cunt doesn't get any respect from Allmusic. Those guys are totally bomb.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:25 am

I just want to add what a waste of time those Amazon reviews are, especially if you're looking to get into a new band. Music should never be reviewed by fans of the band, they pick really dumb shit to like.