Green Day confusion

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Re: Green Day confusion

Post by greenmeansjoe » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:59 am

I'm not a huge Green Day fan either, although I think they've recorded some catchy, solid tunes. The riff in the title track off that Warning record was a total rip off of the riff in The Kinks' "Picture Book." There are worse hooks to rip off.

Anyway, not sure what my point is. Green Day's no worse than Franz Ferdinand.

Joe

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:15 pm

I'm a big GD fan, not as big compared to a couple years ago, though. I heard the new single a few times now. I like it. One of the radio stations put a bunch of Bush snippets in between lyrics which made it a bit better. The main site has it up for download, btw. GreenDayAuthority.com has the better new song, "Favorite Son," available from the 2nd Rock Against Bush album.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

BigCats
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by BigCats » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:05 pm

The Wiggles - priceless.

These guys should send 50% of all of their royalties directly to Johnny Ramone. The rest should have gone to Joey and DeeDee. Oofah..

K

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:50 pm

I don't listen to them anymore, but I have to say that when I was in 8th grade I thought they were awesome and AND AND, they definatly exposed me to much cooler stuff (opivy, fugazi, minor threat, blah blah blah) so yeah, they suck and they are dumb and stuff, but still, they were good for something.

Oh and If I hear anysong off of Dookie on the radio, I sing along.

fuckers.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:39 pm

My kids like the wiggles. I think green day is maybe over. Any one who doesn't like my rant can eat ME! Wire was a good band 123 album, that's the real shit, Ramones, of course, I remember minor threat when they were pushin their own stuff, Black Flag was it, and does anyone remember,,,,,FLIPPER, the WORST fuckin band of junkies of AAAALLL TIME.
They'de show up just to fall over in front of you.
Who's good now,,the Moony Suzuki. Hate me , but I like em.
EAT ME!!
Harumph!

theistheman
pushin' record

Post by theistheman » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:37 pm

I like Green Day.

I mean, it's better than anything else on the radio, not that that's saying much.

Plus, I'd rather listen to a band that rips off the clash and the replacements and the who and all those other greats than the other mall punk bands that rip off...Jimmy Eat World.

I believe that every band that sucks hasn't heard Led Zeppelin. I think that would apply to all these mall punk screamo bands.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:30 am

what was that 'time of your life' shit. Oh my god. That stupid song was everywhere. They played it at my sisters high school graduation for frickssakes. The go-to 'sentimental' pop tune for every one of life's touching moments. Oops, I meant 'tv' not 'life'.

lame. It may as well be 'my heart will go on' , what a clich?d piece of pop snot. Total garbage.

As I was wrapping up high school they had hit it big and suddenly every kid was in a 'punk' band playing greenday covers. And it was the rich kids and jocks that got into it. Swear to god shortly after dude peeling out of the parking lot in the Lexus his parents bought him blasting Pennywise blaghgh

Yessir I've got an axe to grind.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:33 am

Meanwhile I'll cuddle up to crazy Nick Blinko or somethin

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:07 am

Reality fucks with people like us. It's the ones with the wearwithall to survive lifes economic setbacks that make it through, the jocks, that sucks, so, us non-jocks have to use our wits. I know a jock that didn't come from privilige, he's having a hard time in life too.
A lot of jocks feel bad about the people that got fucked over in their rise and fuck it up too, only a small % go pro and make it work, then they fuckit up after retirement. I bet less than 1% die happy, what a ruse!
Harumph!

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:04 am

Well I see your point and I knew a lot of cool jocks, etc., I guess I just used jock as a synonym for 'meathead', you know? Certainly not all high school athletes are meatheads, far from it. That was unfair I suppose.

Anyway that doesn't keep Green Day from being the rotten carcass end of the stick, how aboot that?

small sound
alignin' 24-trk

Post by small sound » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:14 am

I never even read the off topic threads, but for some reason I decided to this morning. I can't say I've followed Green Day's career over the last several years, but my band used to play a lot with them circa 1990-1992 or so. They definitely came from the easy bay punk scene, playing Gilman, playing smelly wharehouse shows, touring in a van. You have to give them credit for being so young and playing well and going out and doing it. I give them props for their success. They certainly have more of a background in "punk" than a lot of sol called "punk" bands. As for where they are at now, I can't say. Usually money and success changes a person and a band. How could it not? You're life if now different and I'd expect that to rub off on your songwriting.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:30 am

small sound wrote:I never even read the off topic threads, but for some reason I decided to this morning. I can't say I've followed Green Day's career over the last several years, but my band used to play a lot with them circa 1990-1992 or so.
What was your band's name? Anyone we've heard of? I followed Lookout! Records pretty faithfully in the 90s.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:32 am

I agree TOTALLY!! CARCASS! I said it like I was a pirate! CaRRRkus!
Harumph!