Deerhoof

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Re: Deerhoof

Post by Isolation » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:28 am

deerhoof is the shiz-whizzle, i regret not getting more into the local scene than i did when i lived out in san fran...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:22 pm

On that milkman song it sounds as tho it's stitched together from 4 or 5 different classic rock song parts. Like, that was the 'formula'.
beware bee wear

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:46 am

I enjoyed the Deerhoof stuff I heard (and saw), but while listening to them I keep thinking of one word: college.
-GABE

black ark
takin' a dinner break

Post by black ark » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:08 am

so, how do we petition Tape-Op to do an article on their (or whoever engineers the albums) approach to recording?
tape op always welcomes submissions from readers. maybe one of the T'Oppers in frisco could talk to them after a show about an interview?

-paul m.
"the future's gonna be...
maintenance free."

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:57 pm

Funny story: Once I was dating a speed freak. We were working on a website at the time, and we arranged to interview Deerhoof (i'm in sf). Unfortunately, I was tied up in the studio that night, so I sent her to do it. She brought back the tape and as I transcribed it my jaw just dropped. She was completely wasted, and was a blathering idiot....asking them inane questions and getting laughed at by the band. Laughed at a lot. One memorable exchange was:

Her: Would you guys call yourselves experimental?
them (greg?): (somewhat offended/angry) Didn't you just watch our show? Does it fucking LOOK like we're experimenting up there? We know exactly what we're doing, and I've got the sweat the prove it (?!).....

I was unable to doctor the interview to make her look less like an idiot and make them seem less badgering, so I just shit canned it. And her.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:38 pm

i would like to meet deerhoof.
RefD wrote:
A.L. wrote:
inverseroom wrote:That is insane. I love the tambourine taped to the kick. The guitarists just stand there, the singer can't sing, and the drummer is writhing like he's in hell.
If I start driving now, I can be there by the weekend...
Their recent albums have been very, very good. Do yourself a favor...
indeed, 'Apple-O' and 'Milk Man' both sound pretty darned polished and the performances are vastly improved over the earlier stuff without losing the best parts of their sound.
and the singer/bassist is getting much better! :D

so, how do we petition Tape-Op to do an article on their (or whoever engineers the albums) approach to recording?

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:49 pm

ampguy wrote:i would like to meet deerhoof.
RefD wrote:
A.L. wrote:
inverseroom wrote:That is insane. I love the tambourine taped to the kick. The guitarists just stand there, the singer can't sing, and the drummer is writhing like he's in hell.
indeed, 'Apple-O' and 'Milk Man' both sound pretty darned polished and the performances are vastly improved over the earlier stuff without losing the best parts of their sound.

Ampguy, if you could do the interview I would crap my pants. It would be like Elvis doing an interview for the beatles. Well, you get what I mean.

ampguy
buyin' a studio

Post by ampguy » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:55 pm

well, somebody hook me up. i'll even play lead guitar for some of their local shows if they're up for that. [no cameras or recording devices]
Rick Hunter wrote:
ampguy wrote:i would like to meet deerhoof.
RefD wrote:
A.L. wrote:

Ampguy, if you could do the interview I would crap my pants. It would be like Elvis doing an interview for the beatles. Well, you get what I mean.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:59 pm

twitchmonitor wrote:Funny story: Once I was dating a speed freak. We were working on a website at the time, and we arranged to interview Deerhoof (i'm in sf). Unfortunately, I was tied up in the studio that night, so I sent her to do it. She brought back the tape and as I transcribed it my jaw just dropped. She was completely wasted, and was a blathering idiot....asking them inane questions and getting laughed at by the band. Laughed at a lot. One memorable exchange was:

them (greg?): (somewhat offended/angry) Didn't you just watch our show? Does it fucking LOOK like we're experimenting up there? We know exactly what we're doing, and I've got the sweat the prove it (?!).....

I was unable to doctor the interview to make her look less like an idiot and make them seem less badgering, so I just shit canned it. And her.
sounds like a job for Trogdor!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:16 pm

RefD wrote:
twitchmonitor wrote:Funny story: Once I was dating a speed freak. We were working on a website at the time, and we arranged to interview Deerhoof (i'm in sf). Unfortunately, I was tied up in the studio that night, so I sent her to do it. She brought back the tape and as I transcribed it my jaw just dropped. She was completely wasted, and was a blathering idiot....asking them inane questions and getting laughed at by the band. Laughed at a lot. One memorable exchange was:

I turned up these 2 definitions of trogdor that seem appropriate...I assume this is what you meant, no?

(2) Any foolish and absurd individual who is highly destructive and hot-tempered.

(3) Someone who wants to be taken seriously, but comes across as ludicrous and irritating.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:22 pm

twitchmonitor wrote:
RefD wrote:

I turned up these 2 definitions of trogdor that seem appropriate...I assume this is what you meant, no?

(2) Any foolish and absurd individual who is highly destructive and hot-tempered.

(3) Someone who wants to be taken seriously, but comes across as ludicrous and irritating.
you were right with the first one.
was her name Trogdor?
:D
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:35 am

RefD wrote: you were right with the first one.
was her name Trogdor?
:D
No. Her name was Evil.

But that might have been just another lie of hers. Her real name might have been Trogdor for all I know.

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:53 am

A.L. wrote:Oh, Comets on Fire. They were pretty great when I saw them but I didnt really care for their album.
All right, Comets on Fire! Incessant guitar soloing and running the vocals through an Echoplex so they are completely unintelligible are both really great ideas. I wish more hard rock bands did these things.

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:06 am

I like the first song on milk man when the guitar comes in and does that little downward scale. It sounds a lot like the McGyver theme. And that is a great thing.