Explain your User Name

Dr. Sausage
gettin' sounds

Re: Explain your User Name

Post by Dr. Sausage » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:20 pm

Stratocaster + Telecaster = The guitars I own. It has been my aim handle for a few years, and since stratotele with an o was taken I used a 0. Kept the 0 for consistancy.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:50 pm

trodden wrote:Trodden is short for Downtrodden.. the first band i was in... and when this internet thing started a few years after that... i picked trodden for my email address... 10 years later (fuck its been ten years?) i still use it for all of my online personalities.
is it possible to be uptrodden? just wondering...

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:28 pm

I have three favorite guitarists.

One of the three says he thinks of or approaches his guitar as an
"aural paintbrush".

an "aural paintbrush" would paint a "sonic hue"

perhaps :wink:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:12 pm

who are your three fav guitarists?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:44 pm

everybodys doin' it..

www.beardofbees.com

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:47 pm

You forgot about the obligatory Simpsons reference.

"I wore a 15 pound beard of bees for that woman"...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:51 pm

she fell in with that guiness book of records crowd..

i love it !

LOL..

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:40 pm

I'm fascinated by the Donald's hair. It's the hugest comb-over, ever.

heynow
audio school

Post by heynow » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:20 pm

Yes, I realize this is a really old topic with no posts for a really long time, but I'm a nube to this board and feel like sharing.

My user name is based on the Dead version of "Aiko Aiko" (heynow! heynow! etc etc). Back in the geek-taper days before Jerry was dead (no pun intended) and DOS was the operating system, it was my cursor decoration "C:\>heynow!>" because it made me smile every time I saw it, which was daily.

It made me smile daily.

Then, I used it as my first "user name" in a BBS... which was cool... and then some TV show started having a character who said it all the time, and then Howard Stern started saying it, and well, that sort of made it less smile-inducing (not that I have anything against either, per se, but it had nothing to do with why I picked it).

So, to make a long story short... what was I talking about again?

Postscript: So, it appears this board's datestamp is off... so maybe this isn't such a late post after all. Whatever.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:32 pm

heynow wrote:Yes, I realize this is a really old topic with no posts for a really long time, but I'm a nube to this board and feel like sharing.

My user name is based on the Dead version of "Aiko Aiko" (heynow! heynow! etc etc). Back in the geek-taper days before Jerry was dead (no pun intended) and DOS was the operating system, it was my cursor decoration "C:\>heynow!>" because it made me smile every time I saw it, which was daily.

It made me smile daily.

Then, I used it as my first "user name" in a BBS... which was cool... and then some TV show started having a character who said it all the time, and then Howard Stern started saying it, and well, that sort of made it less smile-inducing (not that I have anything against either, per se, but it had nothing to do with why I picked it).

So, to make a long story short... what was I talking about again?

Postscript: So, it appears this board's datestamp is off... so maybe this isn't such a late post after all. Whatever.
Welcome to the board.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:11 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:who are your three fav guitarists?
Daniel Ash
Robert Smith
Johnny Marr

The aural paintbrush guy is Ash. I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if Ash played lead and Smith played rhythm on a song sung by Ash with words written by Smith and music and production by Marr.

They'd probably just get in each other's way, but it sounds good. :)

texlop
pushin' record

Post by texlop » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:14 pm

Mine came from the frustration of trying to create an email account. As the page that says I need to choose another name came up I reached into my pocket and grabbed a guitar pick. With Dunlop orange pics being my favorite pick, I took Tortex and Dunlop and got texlop.

I was desperate, but the good thing is I can go to any website type that in and get an account on my first try, unless I forget I already have an account there he he :oops:

I hate it though because people always assume I'm from Texas. Trust me, I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of wranglers with boots, I'm not rugged enough. 20 years and all I got to show is a whisker on me chin. Maybe I should were a beard of bees.
everybodys doin' it..
Geez, I'm always behind with fashion trends.
For some good new music check out The Medusas

listen to some of their Mp3's at Pure Volume

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:25 pm

sonichue wrote:
The aural paintbrush guy is Ash. I sometimes wonder what it'd be like if Ash played lead and Smith played rhythm on a song sung by Ash with words written by Smith and music and production by Marr.

No! NO, NO NO. You have BACKWARDS!

Ash on rhythm, Smith on lead. Ash can't write a damn lead to save his life, ("Hey guys, check out this pentatonic noodling. Pretty cool, huh?") but his rhythm tracks are awesome. And Smith is great, but I wish he's shut his damn trap and just play that guitar. Maybe Marr could sing...? Couldn't be any worse than the other two.

I love Daniel Ash. He was one of the people with whom I went through a "wanting to be" phase as a teenager.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:27 pm

apropos of nothing wrote:
sonichue wrote:

No! NO, NO NO. You have BACKWARDS!

Ash on rhythm, Smith on lead. Ash can't write a damn lead to save his life, ("Hey guys, check out this pentatonic noodling. Pretty cool, huh?") but his rhythm tracks are awesome. And Smith is great, but I wish he's shut his damn trap and just play that guitar. Maybe Marr could sing...? Couldn't be any worse than the other two.

I love Daniel Ash. He was one of the people with whom I went through a "wanting to be" phase as a teenager.
Interesting perspective. Of all the things I wrote, who plays lead is probably the most open because they all can do it. You're right, Ash is a pentatonic noodler from hell, and sometimes his triad arpeggios put me to sleep. But sometimes he comes up with really direct, upfront leads that are the shit of all shit. They're probably more "hooks" than leads. For some reason I think they would sound good with Smith's rhythmic playing. I also count Ash's atmospheric playing as a lead. He could just be wailing on a couple notes.

If you ever have the chance to watch Smith's hands, you'll notice that even when he's playing a lead bit, he plays it rhythmically. That's just his style, he a rhythm player.

And yeah, a lot of Smith's playing is incredable beyond incredable, making you wish he'd play more and sing less. One of my favorites is when he just goes off in the middle of "A Forest". It's like he owns the notion of playing a guitar. Awesome.

Who do you like to sing? I think Ash is a great singer. First-rate crooner-type.

Hate to break the news, but Marr can't sing.