ex-girlfriends' band rocks. fuck!!!

scott f.
ass engineer

ex-girlfriends' band rocks. fuck!!!

Post by scott f. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:52 am

i just obtained a copy of a friends home recording for her band The Red Coats Are Coming. they recorded it with the fucking mic built into the computer and used some bare-bones DAW that i cant remember... anyway, the damn thing rules and im pissed! thousands of dollars and hours into this recording thing and im blown away by 3 gals hunched over a keyboard in a brooklyn apartment. i guess every once in a while its good to have things put in perspective like this. nonetheless, the shame spiral has begun.

probably just need to write better music myself and record more inspiring bands... damn.
angel crusher

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: ex-girlfriends' band rocks. fuck!!!

Post by Rigsby » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:45 am

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. The lesson here is probably that for a lot of people it's more about the performance and feel than the recording quality, otherwise no-one would be listening to old jazz, blues, location recordings etc etc or modern lo-fi stuff. I think some things lend themselves better to a less-pristine quality; me, i really liked Sebadoh's stuff until it got into a studio, prefer weather report's live record 8.30 to most of the studio cuts due to the less-tamed performances and the list probably goes on and on. Saying that may be easy for me though, all of my ex-girlfriends who have had bands have been musically appauling.

Would you want to make this music? If it's not what you do then why worry?
Last edited by Rigsby on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

nipsy
pushin' record

Post by nipsy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:22 am

next time you see her, punch her....

(just joshin')

loosegravel
gettin' sounds

Post by loosegravel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 am

oh man, my ex started a band. If it rules I'm gonna have to start stabbin' people.
"Oh MANNN, MY MOTU"

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:12 am

So......let's hear it!

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:37 am

that's why I was sure to keep my ex as a friend and now she sings for my music. Worked out great!!

Sorry to brag....
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:45 am

Catoogie wrote:So......let's hear it!
Word.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:21 am

loosegravel wrote:oh man, my ex started a band. If it rules I'm gonna have to start stabbin' people.
Why do people hate their ex's so much?

I've never understood that - unless they did something really horrible....
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

oobedoob
alignin' 24-trk

Post by oobedoob » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:33 am

bombastique wrote:
loosegravel wrote:oh man, my ex started a band. If it rules I'm gonna have to start stabbin' people.
Why do people hate their ex's so much?

I've never understood that - unless they did something really horrible....
many exes are exes precisely because they did something really horrible...
"Revolution is not a dinner party." -Sun Yat-Sen

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:51 am

heh. I have sort of the reverse problem. My gf doesn't play any instruments (I've tried to teach her guitar and bass at different points but she doesn't stick with it) and I think it puts a strain on us because I play a bunch instruments and I'm in a couple bands and put out records and all that dreck and I think she feels like she doesn't do anything. I wish to God she'd start doing something that she considered something. She makes up great songs all the time and just sort of blows it off. I'd love to be dating a musical genius, or even have dated one.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

thirdworldlover
studio intern

Post by thirdworldlover » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:13 pm

Try having an ex-gf in Scrotum Grinder.

Actually, she's great, but its still funny.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:17 pm

Ha. That's like dating the lead singer from Cannibal Corpse.

brokenchairs
takin' a dinner break

Post by brokenchairs » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:30 pm

jeddypoo wrote:heh. I have sort of the reverse problem. My gf doesn't play any instruments (I've tried to teach her guitar and bass at different points but she doesn't stick with it) and I think it puts a strain on us because I play a bunch instruments and I'm in a couple bands and put out records and all that dreck and I think she feels like she doesn't do anything. I wish to God she'd start doing something that she considered something. She makes up great songs all the time and just sort of blows it off. I'd love to be dating a musical genius, or even have dated one.
Man, I definitely know how you feel. I just broke up with this girl about 2 months ago. We had dated for about a year and half, and she was always complaining about how she wasn't good at anything. She was a wonderful drummer, especially for someone who had only been behind a drumset about 5 times in her life. But she never wanted to play or try to do anything at all really. All she ever did was sleep and go shopping. Nice girl, but I just couldn't relate to her anymore. All I do is work on stuff, or read books, or paint or draw, or record music, or play etc. Basically the exact opposite of her. She never did anything, and it was sucking my soul away. I feel much better now though, and i've been insanely productive here in the last 2 months...

scott f.
ass engineer

Post by scott f. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:35 pm

i didnt say i hated anybody. just got put in my place is all. its an ancient g-f anyway.. like 2 g-f's ago. that wasnt the main point.. just a funny header.
angel crusher

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

Post by jeddypoo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:40 pm

It's difficult because she IS creative, and very funny and smart and all that, but she won't committ to anything that she feels she can be judged on. I think her family sort of quashed a lot of her creative ambition by the virtue of being a bunch of nuerotic malcontents who never gave any positive reenforcement. I, on the other hand, thrive on creative activity, and can hardly stand to do anything but that- I mean to the detriment of my financial situation and my job security. So we're very different in our attitudes. Because of this, the amount of alone time I need as opposed to the amount she needs are really different- but I know that if she could just be a little more confident in her imaginitive facilities, she'd be as active as I am.

I have a feeling it's hard to be a girl. They get even more programming than we do.