crazy tongue pain that is making it hard to swallow...

wing
on a wing and a prayer

crazy tongue pain that is making it hard to swallow...

Post by wing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:51 pm

i don't really know how to describe this. but on the back of my tongue, there is this pimple looking white thing that is swollen and in some pain. it's not too noticable though when i just sit there not doing anything with my mouth. but the moment I have to use my tongue, particularly for eating, it's so painful it makes me not even want to bother. I was even eating soft foods earlier and it just keeps rubbing that area of the tongue up and down against my teeth, creating this really annoying pain. To describe it, it basically feels like biting your tongue. We all know how crappy that feels. Now imagine that pain every time I chew and you might understand why I've barely eaten within the past two days.

But it's not just in chewing... also just simply drinking and swallowing and brushing my teeth. Every time I have a glass of water is just painful.

Argh. I'm sure it'll go away, so I'm not worried enough to go to a doctor just yet (that and the fact I'm in too much debt to afford that unless it were to get really serious). But has anyone had anything like this? Are there any home remedies I should be aware of, or ways of helping it to heal?

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Re: crazy tongue pain that is making it hard to swallow...

Post by sonikbliss » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:56 pm

sometimes a tastebud will get irritated and swell up and it can be quite painful. usually goes away in a couple days though. you might want to check TongueOp.com for a better answer though.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:14 pm

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:24 pm

actually i had sore ankle too. but only for like 5 min.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

Bad Halen
gettin' sounds

Post by Bad Halen » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:58 pm

Wing.

What you've probably got there is an inflamed taste bud. There are other things it could be but let's assume the least threatening.

Go get yourself some canning/pickling salt (non-iodized) and mix a teaspoon or so with some warm water. Rinse your mouth out with this 3-4 times a day. Maybe after bfast, lunch and dinner and before bed.

It'll go away soon and the saltwater rinse will relieve the discomfort some. If you start having other symptoms (i.e. fever, jaw-pain, or spreading of this sore) go see a doc.

Mouth woes are usually due to stress. When you're stressed you usually eat faster, etc. Also, to go a little deeper......a sore on your tongue making it difficult to talk could be a sign that you have something you want to say to someone but are feeling like you cannot do it. In fact, it's PAINFUL for you to say it........just a thought.

Also, (this next one is easier said than done), resist the urge to go down on strange beaver. Believe me, I know, it's hard cuz in the heat of the moment the shit seems like the best idea in the world. However, sometimes one has to "acclimate" one's pH and shit to the girl before the beav and the tongue should meet.

-Dr. Spotty

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:36 pm

I don't know man, I have had tonsilitis a few times, and I got bumps all over the place back there. Although I did have a fever and could barely move...And still did a show i might add. Anyway...
Spotty wrote:
Mouth woes are usually due to stress.
-Dr. Spotty
I always seem to get sores in my mouth when i'm stressed...I thought I just made that up.

Mike
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:50 pm

Is it a blister maybe?

Per Dr. Spotty, the saltwater rinse should help. At least, it helped for me after a wicked bad wisdom teeth surgery. oy, that smarted.

andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

Adversity
audio school

Post by Adversity » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:05 pm

too much suckin' dick. muahahahahahaha. lol just kidding.

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:13 pm

Could it be a cold sore?? I dont know if they can get back there, but mayybe, i dunno.

-chris

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:34 pm

I'll get those on the sides of my tongue when I eat lots of sunflower seeds. All the moving and opening takes it's toll and a tastebud goes apeshit.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:57 pm

i haven't been terribly stressed... nothing to worry about really. but i was eating a lot of different foods this weekend when i went out of town, so i wonder if that had a part of it.

drmorbius
gettin' sounds

Post by drmorbius » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:30 am

Sounds like your standard canker sore, only on your tongue. Should go away in 7-10 days. Anbesol works wonders for managing the pain. Stick out your tongue and and dry it off with something, especially around the sore. Then apply some Anbesol with a Q tip. This will hurt like a bitch. Let it sink in for a few seconds and wipe away the excess so it doesn't float around your mouth numbing everything else. Makes the pain disappear. There's another kind of medicine that in addition to numbing the sore make a little waxy cover over it. That kind really is magic, but if you get some on your teeth, they might get stained so beware.

I used to get these sores a lot, and I know the excruciating pain you're in. Certain candies like M&Ms and Butterfinger bars create really sharp edges when crunched that make little cuts in my mouth. I think these cuts might get infected and contribute to the sores, so I quit eating that crap altogether and get those way way less often. I quit eating potato chips, too, which I think also helped. For the record, however, let me remind you that I'm not a real doctor, just a drmorbius.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:34 am

If I eat too many sweet things then my tongue gets inflamed taste buds. They suck sometimes. But this sounds more like a kanker sore to me because it's on the side of the tongue- Wing, when you swallow does it just hurt on the surface or is your tongue muscle sore?
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:27 am

andrew embassy wrote:Wing, when you swallow does it just hurt on the surface or is your tongue muscle sore?
Just on the surface in one exact spot. The muscle feels fine...

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:33 am

Herpes, clearly herpes. All hope is lost. Scald your tongue immediately with boiling head cleaner. Better yet, just try to bite down on that sucker and see if it pops and anything cool comes out.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini