live looping

JES
tinnitus

live looping

Post by JES » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:26 am

Hi All,

This is OT for sure, and I don't want to subscribe to loopers' delight, so I'll post here first.

I'm looking for a live looping device that would allow me to play multiple loops at once -- you know, lay down a basic track, lay down harmonics, lay down a melody and then bring them all in and out. Can this be done live?

Thanks.

--JES

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Re: live looping

Post by the velour fog » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:47 am

just about all loop pedals allow for stacking...but i don't know about bringing them in and out like you talk about. for something like that you could either get samplers...or if you have a computer you can drag around use ableton live. i've been eyeing a loop pedal for a long while. i would love to get a boomerang...but it's too spendy for me...thinking about the boss rc-20. 5 1/2 minutes of loop time!
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:17 am

I know a great great guitar player who had both the Line Six echo, the green one Larry did a review on, and a Boomerang. He had some of the most complicated live captured sample/loop I've heard from a guitar.
boobs are life's fountain

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:26 pm

Id say the Lexicon JamMan is the most versatile live looping device out there. You can sometimes pick them up used for about 3-$400.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:31 pm

ott?kbre wrote:I know a great great guitar player who had both the Line Six echo, the green one Larry did a review on, and a Boomerang. He had some of the most complicated live captured sample/loop I've heard from a guitar.
was it Keller Williams?

Do some research on him, I heard he does mad live looping, one-man band type stuff.

http://www.kellerwilliams.net/internal. ... .gear.html
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:45 pm

deharmonic wrote:
ott?kbre wrote:I know a great great guitar player who had both the Line Six echo, the green one Larry did a review on, and a Boomerang. He had some of the most complicated live captured sample/loop I've heard from a guitar.
was it Keller Williams?

Do some research on him, I heard he does mad live looping, one-man band type stuff.

http://www.kellerwilliams.net/internal. ... .gear.html
no, but it's funny, 'cus he did some one-off one man shows.
name is Tim.....just Tim.
boobs are life's fountain

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:43 am

Thanks for the replies. I've thought about dragging around Live on a laptop with that cheap midiman kbd, but somehow that just sounds like a recipe for onstage disaster. Plus, my only laptop for now is a 475mhz AMD from the 20th century.

--JES

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:39 am

swingdoc wrote:Id say the Lexicon JamMan is the most versatile live looping device out there. You can sometimes pick them up used for about 3-$400.
just curious...why do you feel the lexicon jamman is the most versatile? only 32 sec. (and that's if it's upgraded) it's rackmounted, so most of the controls you have to go to the rack and twist them knobs.

the boomerang is 4.5 minutes of time...all foot controlled...a/b loops so your songs don't have to just build and recede and about the same price.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CabreeToe » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:02 pm

I've been using LIVE for about 4 months. Mostly for getting some arrangements down quickly. None the less absolutely no errors, crashes, etc. none. And I've really tried. loading 90+ loops about 10secs each and it still played. Video got a little phreaky but...

although I am using a P4 1.8ghz

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:18 pm

I've done lots of live looping in the past (mostly solo guitar, but some keyboards, and misc. contact mic'ed noise), and I think the Boomerang is really the way to go ... I'd get myself one before doing that kind of thing again. I've used the Line 6 DL4 a lot (sometimes two of 'em), and while it's very good (and gives you lots of additional delay options), it's NOT sturdy at all ... I've had switches break on me, and just stop working in the middle of shows ... and it's difficult to use in a mono setup. It benefits from being in an effects loop, run with the outputs completely wet to seperate amp(s). For example, I'd run my guitar signal through all kinds of stuff, to my amp, then mic the amp, and send that into a small mixer, and to the two DL4's on two different effects loops (to be able to independently control the signal coming to & from them). Then send the mixer's outs to the P.A., or to two seperate amps. A lot of gear to tote around, but it worked.
get up with it

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:20 pm

JES wrote:I'm looking for a live looping device that would allow me to play multiple loops at once -- you know, lay down a basic track, lay down harmonics, lay down a melody and then bring them all in and out. Can this be done live?
I think the only hardware looper that allows you to do multiple, independant, is the noe-discontinued Electrix Repeater. It has limitations, you can do 4 loops at once, but they all have to be the same length. But you can fade them in and out, overdub, etc. I love mine, it's a cool box.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:50 am

Thanks all. I've come to the same conclusion, though LIVE might possibly be an alternative to the Repeater. That's a cool little device -- can you also use a Repeater as a 4-track? Just trying to find a way to justify paying the absurd used prices for one of those things. . . .

--JES