TapeOp's Rain Dogs

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Re: TapeOp's Rain Dogs

Post by Shabbadoo » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:29 pm

madpie wrote:yers is very cool too and about a gazillion times bigger & cleaner. With headphones especially you hear the space and the scale of the whole thing.
A big part of that space is from using lots of Altiverb.
madpie wrote:It's nice how when you have a good song as the backbone and you don't feel too personally invested in it you can try different approaches and just see what comes together.
yeah I agree, it makes you feel a bit freer to try weird stuff you might not normally.
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:43 pm

madpie wrote:okay, back up with ye! It was hard to get that fast guitar thing at the start to sit right with the way the vocal came in. Now it seems to work a little better...

http://www.skullphonic.com/hangdown.mp3
This is rad. The recording sounds awesome, and the performance is totally there. Is your voice clipping when it gets loud? Whatever that is, keep it. It sounds sweet. The acoustic sounds excellent (what did you record it with?), and another good accordian. Damn. I'm gonna have to get my shit together.
I am wangtacular.

madpie
pushin' record

Post by madpie » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:01 am

I think it's just that the vocal and backups have distortion on them and are mixed too prominently. I'm always having hot vocals, but I like to hear the vocal so, y'know, that's how it comes out.

I was just realizing this weekend (I'm a little slow) that the sound of indie rock, in general, is characterized by relatively buried vocals. Or maybe it's just that it's risky to put the vocal way out there b/c a voice can be so off-putting. .... Anyway I bought an old Mary Wells record this weekend, and her performance on "Bye Bye Baby" is totally distorted and fantastic, apparently just because she was singing really fucking loud and doing about 100 takes of the song.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the RIAA, here's the last 20 seconds of "Bye Bye Baby," which will rock you hard if you have not already encountered this song.

That acoustic guitar on my track is just an AKG D790 (which is the only mic I own) into my crappy little Tascam US122 converter with the level turned all the way up. And the accordian is a Casio! Strictly lo-fi, but whatever. Thanks for yer kind words.
With my Les paul, I know I'm small.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:14 am

Your song is great madpie. And fuck yes on the mary wells. Bye Bye Baby is awesome.
beware bee wear

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:04 pm

this thread is great... good job guys! :)

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:58 pm

Dammit... things happen fast around here, don't they? I really do need to check this forum more often, or I'll end up missing out on something like this again.

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:32 pm

excellent job shabbadoo. Madpie I'm dwnloading yours now.

Finally tracked some instruments last night. I'm 90% there.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:01 pm

wow, madpie, great job man. very well done.

shab, i'll get on your's tomarrow...
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:10 pm

i'm writing out the banjo part for my track... :-D
that devil bastard protools

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:03 am

I got a pretty decent rough mix of Ninth and Hennepin done last night. Had the durnedest time with the panning. I think the thumb piano is still a touch too loud, and the vocal needs some frequencies shaved out, so I will pr'y do another mix and put it in place of this one, but I wanted to get this posted.

http://www.unc.edu/~jkidder/samples/nin ... nnepin.mp3

Feedback?

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:29 am

apropos of nothing wrote:I got a pretty decent rough mix of Ninth and Hennepin done last night. Had the durnedest time with the panning. I think the thumb piano is still a touch too loud, and the vocal needs some frequencies shaved out, so I will pr'y do another mix and put it in place of this one, but I wanted to get this posted.

Feedback?
Awesome, the bass and percussion is perfect. You're right, just shave some of the vocal frequencies.
Werd.

madpie
pushin' record

Post by madpie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:29 am

apropos of nothing wrote:I got a pretty decent rough mix of Ninth and Hennepin done last night. Had the durnedest time with the panning. I think the thumb piano is still a touch too loud, and the vocal needs some frequencies shaved out, so I will pr'y do another mix and put it in place of this one, but I wanted to get this posted.

Feedback?
Fuck, this is cool. If you do change the EQ on the vocal, will you do me a favor and list the changes you're making (like 6db at 1k or whatever) and why you're changing them? Are you just trying to get it to sit better? It already sounds great to my ears, but I don't have that good a sense of how these things should go.

That thumb piano sounds like a loop. Is it the real thing or a sample?
With my Les paul, I know I'm small.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:55 am

madpie wrote:Fuck, this is cool. If you do change the EQ on the vocal, will you do me a favor and list the changes you're making (like 6db at 1k or whatever) and why you're changing them? Are you just trying to get it to sit better? It already sounds great to my ears, but I don't have that good a sense of how these things should go.
Um. Seems like there's a couple resonant frequency humps that feel a little grating on the ear through headphone.
That thumb piano sounds like a loop. Is it the real thing or a sample?
Yes. That is to say: Yes.

Heheh.

Okay, I listened to the Tom Waits version and tuned my thumb piano to it, and then used some stereo omnis to sample the individual "hits" of the TP, and dropped those into a VSTi sampler and triggered them from my Kat DK-10. So the sound was originally from an honest-to-god thumb piano, which I then midi sequenced but did not quantize.

If y'r interested in the samples, dig here:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sarend ... 41468.html

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:09 pm

Feedback?
This is fucking awesome. Really awesome. Great recording, cool performances, excellent sounds, and thick with atmosphere. The only thing I can think to bitch about would be to bring the vocals up some. Unless you don't mind that it isn't all intelligable. Either way, great work.

And I've always loved the line: "There's nothing wrong with her that a hundred dollars won't fix."
I am wangtacular.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:58 am

Bear wrote:This is fucking awesome. Really awesome. Great recording, cool performances, excellent sounds, and thick with atmosphere. The only thing I can think to bitch about would be to bring the vocals up some. Unless you don't mind that it isn't all intelligable. Either way, great work.
Thanks for the compliment.

Vox too low. That is a problem. I hope that bringing down the thumb-piano will solve that. Hmmm. If it still isn't working thereafter, mebbe I'll assign everything besides the vox to a group and bring that down.
Bear wrote:And I've always loved the line: "There's nothing wrong with her that a hundred dollars won't fix."
Yeah, me too.
Last edited by apropos of nothing on Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.