Best new group you've found or been turned on to lately...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Best new group you've found or been turned on to lately.

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:45 pm

The music out of DeKalb Il. is awesome check them out :

http://www.scratchandsniffrecords.com/

just played with these guys last Sunday they were great!! :

http://www.themalarkies.com/

jp76
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jp76 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:52 am

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs!

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:38 am

Rick Hunter wrote:Yeah Sondre Lerche is awesome. I love faces down.

Last night I heard the band, "HUM" I have heard the name forever but never checked out there music. I really like it. Alot.
Oh yeah hum are awesome. I have all there albums. They should have been way more succesful than they were. If anyones going to check them out I'd recommend getting "downwards is heavenwards" first.

The reason I don't like Broken social scene is that they are a 5'th rate, cobbled together, tin-pot, mornic collective of turds. But most importantly there music is boring, derivitave, aimless, and lacks direcion.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:41 am

Lightheavyweight - I think they are now Slendermeans, at anyrate, early Cure, Smiths and Jeff Buckley falsetto. Just good pop overall.
boobs are life's fountain

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:54 am

theslumlord wrote:The British Sea Power are pretty good. I've seen them a couple of times when the blew through town here.
I've seen them live too (supporting the sisters of mercy) and thought they were cac. I thought they had some good ideas in some of their songs but they didn't have the discerning taste to make said songs work as songs, all there songs have really stupid sections in them. It was pretty funny when I saw them supporting the sisters cos there'd only be about 2 or 3 people clapping them after each song. + they had a very srerile, boring stage show.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:57 am

trodden wrote:
WTFLOLOMGBBQ. once again, I am a poseur.
So what your bassically saying is what the fuck laughout loud oh my god barbecue. :lol: WTF dude.

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:00 am

Monkeyfist wrote:
markee2004 wrote:I'm really turned on by polly harvey at the moment. But that's another thread altogether.

I think there is no good original new music around at the moment it's all retrofied rubbish or indie cliche, and I'm sorry but franz ferdinand are the biggest piece of crap I've heard in years. No real music fan could ever like them. I litteraly thought broken social scene were a joke band?

Although there not particuarly new theres a couple of english bands that are unknown in America. that are better than any band formed in America in the last 10 years. ie "Queena Dreena" and "nought".

I don't mean to sound like "this band is better than that band" sort of mentality. I'm just writing it straight as I think it.
I'm not looking to layt status on to anyone group with better or not. Just want to get little more of a fresh repitiore' of music. I stopped listening to the radio (save KEXP and justly so). So I asked the brute squad what they listened to. By the way, there is a ton of good music out there, at least I think there is.
I didn't say there was no good music out there. I was just saying there isn't any good new bands out there. I mean new as in the last couple of years (Apart from my band natch).

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:30 am

Isolation wrote:there's an old industrial band that formed before punk did in the 70's out of San Francisco called Chrome
I bought a pair of PA speakers from one of the guitar players (Buz Deadwax) a few years ago and promptly blew out a 15" woofer. Damnit, not industrial enough! ... but they do have that cool metal cross-hatch grill, so that makes up for it. :)

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:32 am

markee2004 wrote:
trodden wrote:
So what your bassically saying is what the fuck laughout loud oh my god barbecue. :lol: WTF dude.
your fuckin' brilliant!
or
YFB!!!
:wink:

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:44 pm

ok, totally not "new" but really awesome that i just put in today for the first time in a while, steel pole bath tub: the miracle of sound in motion - totally awesome mix of samplers and a garage band. imagine hot snakes with samplers and wierd experimental shit going on behind it. totally awesome.

get it cheap and hear samples here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

jp76
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jp76 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:50 pm

Animal Collective - Sung Tongs

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:10 pm

trodden wrote:
markee2004 wrote:
trodden wrote:
your fuckin' brilliant!
or
YFB!!!
:wink:
DMY

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:29 am

also check out "My Way My Love" from Japan..they stayed with us last week..they rocked hard!! and they even say thank you when they do something for you!!

http://www.mywaymylove.com/

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:39 am

I bought a pair of PA speakers from one of the guitar players (Buz Deadwax) a few years ago and promptly blew out a 15" woofer. Damnit, not industrial enough! ... but they do have that cool metal cross-hatch grill, so that makes up for it. :)
nice! i heard somewhere that certain members of the 80's new wave/punk band Romeo Void had done some projects with Chrome...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:57 am

this thread inspired me to pick up Chrome's half machine lip moves/alien soundtracks over the weekend, and fuck me is it great. lots of crazy tape manipulation stuff and crazy delay/panning and stuff, like a predeccessor to early 6FS. it turns those 2 songs from the jesus lizard 7" are on this, they are "TV As Eyes" and "Abstract Nympho". kinda like early Butthole Surfers, wacked out retardly brilliant stuff.