Pixies obeservation/question

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Pixies obeservation/question

Post by bedbug » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:57 am

Now, I love the Pixies. Listened to 'em half my life. They were the third band I ever saw in concert. But ...

Does a group with 4 studio albums, one EP and various singles need 5 non-studio albums? Count 'em:
Death to the Pixies - Greatest Hits and Live (I know it's out of print but humor me)
Pixies at the BBC - Live
Complete B-Sides - (Okay, I'll admit, it's nice this one is available)
Pixies - Outtakes
Waves of Mutilation - yet another best of

Maybe I'm bitter that the live footage on the upcoming DVD only contains one song post-Surfer Rosa ("Hey"), or that my 2nd favorite Pixies release - Trompe Le Monde - never got the credit it deserved.

They'll always be one of my favorite bands, and I hope I get the chance to see 'em on this tour. But does anyone else find something a little fishy in this whole reunion thing?

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Re: Pixies obeservation/question

Post by concubine » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:13 am

bedbug wrote:or that my 2nd favorite Pixies release - Trompe Le Monde - never got the credit it deserved.

They'll always be one of my favorite bands, and I hope I get the chance to see 'em on this tour. But does anyone else find something a little fishy in this whole reunion thing?
I'm with you on the Trompe Le Monde thing. Most reviews I've come across for that album range from scathing to lukewarm. But for me it's my favorite out of the bunch. I've never, ever understood why it got slagged so much. I think the songwriting was incredibly strong, the energy was totally there, and to me it's arguably the most cohesive album of their career.

The reunion thing might be the result of dwindling bank accounts, sure. Reuniting the Pixies would be the best remedy for that, obviously. But, ultimately, who cares? I wasn't really a fan of the Pixies until Trompe le Monde came out, and I missed them in concert back then, so I wouldn't mind just getting the opportunity to see them now. The only thing to worry about would be if they started recording new music and it sucked. Not that I'm saying that would be a foregone conclusion, but it would be kinda sad if they took a stab at it and it just didn't work.

Cynical update/correction: I forgot to mention that although it would be nice to see them now, the fact that their only Northern CA appearance (in Davis) allegedly sold out in 5 mins to thousands of fans with DSL is rather disillusioning, given that I won't be able to attend as a result. I just hope they come back to the Bay and play a few nights. If there's one thing I hate, it's fighting hordes of obsessive fans just to get a few tickets.
Last edited by concubine on Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:22 am

concubine wrote:I'm with you on the Trompe Le Monde thing. Most reviews I've come across for that album range from scathing to lukewarm. But for me it's my favorite out of the bunch. I've never, ever understood why it got slagged so much. I think the songwriting was incredibly strong, the energy was totally there, and to me it's arguably the most cohesive album of their career.
but the sound of that record! oh the tragedy!

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

junokane
pushin' record

Post by junokane » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:22 am

You bring up an interesting point, but take a look at the example you are giving, that of thePixies, and I'm not sure it holds water. I agree that a lot of bands seem to crap out a lot of excess product (although in many cases it's out of their hands, with ownership of masters going to other entities, publishers, etc.). But This list doesn't strike me as odd for a band with a devoted following who would love to own most of what's listed --

I don't think any Pixies fan would begrudge them a live album.

Death to the Pixies was as close as they will likely get to a box set, and lots of bands do that stuff. Doesn't bother me -- I own it.

B-sides you admitted yourself is pretty cool

"Outtakes" -- are you referring to the Purple record? If so, it's the remains of a demo that produced "Come On Pilgrim", their first EP. It's been a sought-after boot forever. And it was original stuff, recorded in a studio. It had just never been properly released. Maybe the reason you include it as part of the list is because they weren't together when it was released, so it smacks of cashing in. In this case, though, I don't think so. The band decided to make it sound good and release it, and maybe get a bit of the cash floating around on bootleg copies on eBay. I don't blame them. Besides, it was released on spinArt, a pretty good indie.

As for "Waves of Mutilation", well, I dunno. It's a collection for greatest hits buyers, and nobody but a Pixies fan is going to buy "Death to...", so why not?

Ah, maybe it's because I like the band (I know, so do you, that's fine), and I'm feeling a bit defensive. Still, they did put out a good deal of material, and most of them are busy with new projects, so it's not like they are desperately trying to wring a few cents out of their legacy, at least not in my eyes.

As far as the reunion, I'm looking forward to it. I don't pretend to know the scoop on why they are doing a couple of shows with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (a source of much clothes-tearing in a recent thread), so I refuse to pass judgement on it. It's just a couple of shows. I'm hoping they'll have a cool bill here in Boston. If they suck, then I'll think there's something fishy.
Juno Kane
---------------------------------------------------
used to be nobody did, but now people are starting to tell me squat

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:28 am

aurelialuz wrote: but the sound of that record! oh the tragedy!

alex
True, I know what you mean! But then I think you could say that about everything post Surfer Rosa. Those three albums were all victims of seriously glossy overproduction that was difficult to get away from in the late 80s/early 90s. Especially Bossa Nova, which I think is definitely their worst *sounding* record, but is still really good musically, if that makes sense. I think the worst is the drums - were those all midi-triggered or something? Yuck.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:41 am

concubine wrote:

alex
True, I know what you mean!
Could you elaborate? I just record at home, and don't pretend to know as much about sound as some of the experts on this board, but Trompe Le Monde never stood out as a bad sounding record to me. The only one that ever bugged me in terms of production was Bossanova (ugh). I know TLM is slick sounding. But if you listen to it especially in terms of Santiago's guitar playing, I think there's a lot more "inherently Pixies" qualities to it than the album before it.

I don't think the slickness is so bad if you consider it's (in theory) the final album of their career. I think it's only right that a band goes out having progressed a bit from their earlier days.

Also, I originially bought the album in the 7th grade, and had the opportunity to approach it with a child-like innocence, that I think helps me appreciate it today. It's the same reason I haven't been able to stop playing the Dead Milkmen's Soul Rotation :cry: this week.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:43 am

the complete b-sides is awesome

just thought i'd say

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:59 am

junokane wrote:
Death to the Pixies was as close as they will likely get to a box set, and lots of bands do that stuff. Doesn't bother me -- I own it.
I had a couple of gripes with the song selection.

1. It not only includes, but opens up with not only a cover, but a cover of an instrumental song! I'm not against bands doing covers or instrumentals at all, but I just think a "greatest hits collection" should come out the door with a rounder representation of the band. (I do have to admit the song is cool for being featured in a Get A Life episode)

2. Planet of Sound. Um, okay it's a cool tune, but I'll tell ya this. It will be included on every Pixies greatest hits from here to eternity, because it's about "space" and that's their "thing." IMHO, every other song on Trompe Le Monde is better than "Planet of Sound." "Motorway to Roswell?" "Lovely Day." "Palace of the Brine?" Come on.

3. Tame. Not my favorite song of theirs. Never understood what the big deal about it was. If you want to hear Black Francis screaming, you can take your pick of many other Pixies tunes. A minor gripe except for the fact that 3 songs into the collection, and no a one woulda been my choice.

4. Nimrod's Son. Anything with the word "fuck" is worthy of a greatest hits CD, right?

5. U-Mass. See Planet of Sound.

6. Songs I wish were on the Disc 1:
Break My Body/ Broken Face/ I'm Amazed/ Mr. Grieves/ Hey (why the fuck was this not on there?/ Alison/ Motorway to Roswell/ Lovely Day/

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:00 am

re: the slickness, i think it's just the time they were doing these records. in fact, i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that 'Surfer Rosa' was the only good one production-wise. i don't even like the sound of 'Come On, Pilgrim,' as much as the the band and the songs themselves are just off the hook. bossanova is def. the worst, IMO, but they were just a victim of the times. i thank the maker they even got a good one in at all frankly.
bedbug wrote: Also, I originially bought the album in the 7th grade, and had the opportunity to approach it with a child-like innocence, that I think helps me appreciate it today.
i can't count the number of records i can say this about. with some music, it's best not to think too much and just love what you can.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:04 am

bedbug wrote:Does a group with 4 studio albums, one EP and various singles need 5 non-studio albums?

I dunno. Maybe they should ask The Stone Roses. :?
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

sunsetyellow
buyin' a studio

Post by sunsetyellow » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:19 am

marqueemoon wrote:
bedbug wrote:Does a group with 4 studio albums, one EP and various singles need 5 non-studio albums?

I dunno. Maybe they should ask The Stone Roses. :?
:rofl:
The revolution will not be... not if you berks have anything to do with it.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:24 am

bedbug wrote:
concubine wrote:

alex
True, I know what you mean!
Could you elaborate? I just record at home, and don't pretend to know as much about sound as some of the experts on this board, but Trompe Le Monde never stood out as a bad sounding record to me. The only one that ever bugged me in terms of production was Bossanova (ugh). I know TLM is slick sounding. But if you listen to it especially in terms of Santiago's guitar playing, I think there's a lot more "inherently Pixies" qualities to it than the album before it.

I don't think the slickness is so bad if you consider it's (in theory) the final album of their career. I think it's only right that a band goes out having progressed a bit from their earlier days.

Also, I originially bought the album in the 7th grade, and had the opportunity to approach it with a child-like innocence, that I think helps me appreciate it today. It's the same reason I haven't been able to stop playing the Dead Milkmen's Soul Rotation :cry: this week.
Well, for me, I don't even mind the relative slickness of Trompe le Monde that much. The only thing I could really do without is the drum sound. The guitars are awesome; really slashing and dense a lot of the time, and other times apprioately clean/melodic. To me it's a very coloful sounding album, which is a good thing.

My gripe is really the drums, which I agree sound the absolute worst on Bossanova, but still have that synthetic midi-triggered/gated sound on Trompe le Monde. Ultimately, I think any of Trompe le Monde's production flaws are easily cancelled out by insanely good/consistent songwriting.

Trompe le Monde came out when I was in the 11th grade, so I probably approached it with a similar kind of naivety as you did, bedbug.

And like we've all said, the *sound* of these records really reflects the time they were made. A lot of records sounded kinda like that back then, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Jeff

VeronicaSawyer
gettin' sounds

Post by VeronicaSawyer » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:37 am

I agree with the above points- i.e, I tend to gloss over any production quibbles I may have and bask in the glory of Frank Black's songwriting genius. I'd probably plump for Surfer Rosa over Trompe le Monde or Bossanova though.
Mystery train
3-way plane
Expressway...
To Penkhull

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:34 pm

I know I'm in the minority here, but, aside from a few songs like Dead, Fame, and There Goes my Gun, the Pixies annoy me, and can fuck right off!

Or put it this way, MY favorite Pixies record is Kim's "Pod".. HA!!

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:57 pm

Man I'm sooooo tired of Modest Mouse and all the hype!!

...oh cool, we actually talking about the Pixies.....rock on
boobs are life's fountain