Hip-Hop in St. Louis...

Piotr
tinnitus

Hip-Hop in St. Louis...

Post by Piotr » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:55 am

There's a great article in this week's New Yorker magazine about the Trackboyz and the current hip-hop scene in St. Louis. They are now producing one of the hottest up and coming acts in hip-hop in J-Kwon, with his single "Tipsy."

I couldn't find a URL, but the New Yorker issue is April 5, 2004.

Here's an excerpt, just for fun:

"Both (Mark) Williams, who is twenty-five, and (Joe) Kent, who is twenty-six, started out as performers. Williams rapped, buying his background music...from a producer in North St. Louis, who charged three hundred dollars for a four-minute track--too much, Willimas thought, and decided that he needed to get his own equipment. He raised the money any way he could: "I had a job, sold drugs. I worked everywhere--bagging groceries, cutting the grass in the summer, handing out flyers. Anything that was a hustle, I did." He bought a keyboard and a drum machine and began selling beats at a discount--two hundred dollars a track--undercutting the competition. "That is basically how I cornered the market in St. Louis, selling beats to everybody for cheap," he says.
Williams was into drum machines, raw beats, and hard-hitting rap lyrics. In 1997, a rapper friend introduced him to Kent, who was raised in a family of musicians (his younger brother is an opera singer, his sister plays piano, and his father plays guitar), and preferred gospel music, percussion instruments, piano, and singing. "My old dude was a minister," Kent says. "When I was a kid, we went to church three to four times a week, in the evenings." Kent played drums for the church choir from the time he was seven, learned keyboard when he finished high school, and thought for a time of becoming an R&B singer. The combination of Williams's hip-hop and Kent's R&B worked, so they named themselves the Trackboyz, and started making beats in an impromptu studio that Williams had set up in his mother's basement. Soon they were doing a brisk business. "Our name started getting around," Williams says. "It was almost like selling drugs. You don't advertise, but the word gets out and people find out what you do. Before long, everybody was buying beats from us."
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Re: Hip-Hop in St. Louis...

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:22 am

I read that. I thought it was pretty cool, but parts of it made it seem like the "engineers" were doing all the work, and all they did was promote the artists they work with.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:23 pm

What is this St. Louis?
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

clamp
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clamp » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:53 pm

Hey so like I work in a music store in St. Louis man. I know and have talked to people working with the up-and-coming and all I have to say is start grabbing old drum boxes and assemble some retarded beats. Then kick some mics and make gold platnum diamond.
Also have a fucking greedy connected lawyer ready to go and never work without a contract. 'Cause the spirit of smash and grab' is alive and well.
As far as the engineer doing all the work...WTF...of coarse the engineer is doing all the work.
The scene is pre-assembled. If you're looking for cred go to a third world nation where people carry real weapons and are really desperate. Or just be really impressed with tough looking 'urbans' (be they black or white) who just barely bore you.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:00 pm

I expected to see 'word' and 'represent' a lot more in this thread.
I am wangtacular.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:16 pm

word.

better represent, son.

j-shizzle.
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:19 pm

Much better.
I am wangtacular.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:41 am

"I think my butt's gettin' big (it's gettin hot in herre, so take off all yer clothes)"

That shit is retarrrrrrrded.

Yo.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:11 am

What?!?!
that devil bastard protools

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:12 am

Oh KAY!
that devil bastard protools

Kilroy
buyin' gear

Post by Kilroy » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:50 am

YEEAAHH!!!!

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:19 am

I kinda dig that song 'Tipsy.' That shit is all over the radio. That dark kick drum and messy loud handclap sound. It's kinna cool.

Err body inna club get Tipsy

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:27 am

Errry body in the club writen' hikus

St. Louis Rap sucks.
Nelly spawned a monster that
makes my skin crawl, dog.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:02 pm

I don't understand all this supposed new St. Luis slang the rappers use. I never heard any of this shit when I lived in KCK. But then again, the scene was more guys wearing shower caps and boom boxes on their shoulders back then... but come on...

Errry body I know over thur don talk like that. I dun axed 'em.