For all you vinyl junkies!?

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Re: For all you vinyl junkies!?

Post by spideyjack » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:53 am

I had been looking for 20 years for the Harry Partch records from the 40s & 50s that contained I Am A Peachtree. Found it on Ebay just last month

Mostly I have a list of things that i want and since most are not so rare i will find them in a few years.

Sometimes I have to rebuy an alum. I sold off my copy of Close To The Edge by Yes 4 years ago figuring that i would never want to listen to it again, then found myself wanting to hear it so I had to search for a clean copy for two months, cost me $3.99!!!

I am almost never in a hurry to find records and i start to get nervous when I pay more than $50 for something.

Right now I am bidding on a 45 by Porter Wagoner that I didnt even know existed. and if the bidding gets out of hand I will have to make a descission as to how much i want it.

spideyjack

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:52 pm

I've got that Snakefinger album (as seen on your avatar), and other records by him. I had no idea they were so rare!

I was never a rare-record junky, but I once found a copy of the Dictators' first album at "Sounds" on St. Mark's place for just a few bucks. That was a pretty cool find.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:55 pm

I had been looking for 20 years for the Harry Partch records from the 40s & 50s that contained I Am A Peachtree. Found it on Ebay just last month
I'd like a copy of "On the Seventh Day Petals Fell In Petaluma". I had that on cassette and lost it somewhere.

The most I've ever paid for a record is Jimmy Reed's first album, "I'm Jimmy Reed". It was $80.

I'd like all the original Sue records of Ike and Tina, but those sell for $200 each. I can't bring myself to pay that much..

Rob, I've never even heard Low, but now I'm curious.

I also want a copy of Bo Diddley's Beach Party.

And "The Further Adventures of Charles Westover", Del Shannon's "psychedelic" record.
beware bee wear

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:15 am

joeysimms wrote:Rob, I've never even heard Low, but now I'm curious.
Gosh - really? I actually think they're pretty ground-breaking. Their sound is so utterly restrained. The silence is kind of more important than the sound. Some people claim they can feel their finger nails growing when listening to them. Because it's so slow and boring, I suppose. I see that, kind of. I'm no devotee, for one thing. However, when they're at their best, they are almost as good as it gets. 'Curtain hits the Cast' is surely their best effort - I would definitely point to that one as a starting place. Albini produced one of their later LPs - I think it was the one before 'Things We Lost in the Fire.' I think it's called 'Secret Name' - that too is a good place to start. As ever Albini does a great job, engineering wise. I really wish they had done more of their subsequent recordings with him - especially the latest LP 'Trust'. I don't much like the production on that at all.

I think what I'd say is that you could make an awesome comp tape of Low stuff - songs like Immune, Over the Ocean, The Plan, etc. But there are a lot of tracks that annoy me too, either because they're too long or else there is just no tune to speak of. Their live audiences piss me off too - so crushingly precious. I remember at Nottingham someone dropped a coin on the floor during one of their songs. It was like a hand-grenade going off!! All these people turned around and glared at the place in the audience where the 'offence' took place. I thought fuck this shit and went into the next room where the bar was.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:52 am

NewYorkDave wrote:I've got that Snakefinger album (as seen on your avatar), and other records by him. I had no idea they were so rare!

I was never a rare-record junky, but I once found a copy of the Dictators' first album at "Sounds" on St. Mark's place for just a few bucks. That was a pretty cool find.
Hey Dave!, are you selling your Snakefinger records?....these are on 'Ralph records', which was the label set up by The Residents, all self financed, so a fairly limited release...what others do you have??

Al

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:08 am

Hey Al, I wish I'd known you were looking for that. I just saw it in one of my local record stores in Berkeley a few weeks ago. I didn't realize how rare that Snakefinger stuff was.

Jeff

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:33 am

bout the most i'll pay is $50.

record i'm *still* looking for, if anybody has a lead, is verve's "storm in heaven." to be honest, i'm not altogether sure it came out on vinyl...

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:11 am

well,i waited about ten years for a copy of the atomic cafe soundtrack.my friend bought it off ebay for 150 quid.......i was in a little vintage store near my house,in upstate new york, and they had it.in great condition.for $10!!
i haven't told andrew how much i paid for it yet.......
i have a 7" of verves "all in the mind",their first record.......
i waited a while for tom waites "nighthawks at the dinner".something about tom waits,can only listen to him of vinyl.......
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:37 am

concubine wrote:Hey Al, I wish I'd known you were looking for that. I just saw it in one of my local record stores in Berkeley a few weeks ago. I didn't realize how rare that Snakefinger stuff was.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, if you come across any of the Snakefinger stuff please do give me a shout!?, actually my copy of 'Chewing Hides The Sound' came from Music Obsession in L.A.

Al

dictaphone
pushin' record

Post by dictaphone » Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:03 pm

5 years and still waiting for the Shellac Live album. It's a Japan only release. I've seen it once on eBay, and got outbid at 40 bucks.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:41 pm

Keep hunting, they'll turn up eventually, vinyl rules!

Al

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:28 pm

spideyjack wrote:
Sometimes I have to rebuy an alum. I sold off my copy of Close To The Edge by Yes 4 years ago figuring that i would never want to listen to it again, then found myself wanting to hear it so I had to search for a clean copy for two months, cost me $3.99!!!
Totally. I spend most of my time when I'm in a used record store re-buying stuff I got rid of years ago. I've decided to stop getting rid of stuff.

pauly
pluggin' in mics

Post by pauly » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:53 pm

I waited for Repo Man to come out on cd when I was younger:)lol I had(have) the vinyl, but I really wanted to hear it in glorious digital.........bleh. Also, I have a PILE of radio station sound EFX record.heavy vinyl, very clean and quiet........I was told that scratch djs LOVE these.....where can I sell them? Thanks! Big Black Atomizer was hard to find on vinyl.....LOVES me some old Replacements soon!

Pauly
Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.