new punks vs. old punks

clamp
alignin' 24-trk

new punks vs. old punks

Post by clamp » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:14 pm

I saw some cookie cutter version new punk wearing the skeletal gloves and wondered would Glen just brake his wind-pipe for old time sake? Whiny Disney friendly hand-holding punks super-dissed by their mean-mean soccer-mothers denying them attendance to a chapperoned Good Charlotte performance because of their recent sub A + performance record.
Anytime I let down my guard some fucking souless engineer pitch corrects the next 'tough-kid' band that's got all the balls of the Muppet-Babies.
Here's my next 'Battlefield 19XX' game Ramones vs. AFI or Misfits vs. Story of the Year or whatever the grand league of pussies wants to put out.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Re: new punks vs. old punks

Post by jca83 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:24 pm

black flag v. good charlotte.

henry rollins would pound some hurt into those kids, and he would do it with only his voice and scary muscley tattoos.
that devil bastard protools

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:45 pm

Here are a few awesome recent punk bands (from just looking at my iTunes library, which is decidedly unpunk). Note that some of these bands may be broken up, but all existed within the last few years or so:

1. Assault
2. Asshole Parade
3. Assuck
4. Black Print
5. Born Dead Icons
6. Bucket Full of Teeth
7. Cavity
8. Crucial Unit
9. Dillinger Four
10. Down In Flames
11. E150
12. Find Him And Kill Him
13. From Ashes Rise
14. Fugazi
15. Gauze
16. Guyana Punchline
17. High On Crime
18. His Hero Is Gone
19. I Hate Myself
20. In/Humanity
21. John Brown's Army
22. Lack
23. Left For Dead
24. Los Crudos
25. Organ!
26. Pelican
27. R.A.M.B.O.
28. Red Scare
29. Reversal of Man
30. Tragedy
31. Twelve Hour Turn
32. Wake Up On Fire
33. Yage

So there are 33 awesome punk bands that have been active over the last three or four years, and leaves off dozens of older bands and a few bands I left out for various reasons and all of the tons of other cds that I haven't bothered to put into iTunes yet and my hundreds of vinyl records. I am pretty sure that with the exception of D4, you'll probably never find any of those other cds at the mall, and you definitely won't see any of them on MTV.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:38 am

Yeah - I had to turn Radio One off yesterday 'cos it seemed like every other song was some bunch of daft fucking twats doing insanely auto-tuned covers of Basket Case. I want to maim these fucks. I want to insert lengths of red-hot barbed wire into their navals.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:45 am

bobbydj wrote:Yeah - I had to turn Radio One off yesterday 'cos it seemed like every other song was some bunch of daft fucking twats doing insanely auto-tuned covers of Basket Case. I want to maim these fucks. I want to insert lengths of red-hot barbed wire into their navals.

I'm an old school punk that takes severe umbridge to such matters as well, i shall join you in your crusade Rob...now lets get this torture apparatus together... :lol:

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:19 am

I'm coming around to the idea of cutting their fingers and toes off with a pair of rusty bolt-cutters.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:53 am

bobbydj wrote:I'm coming around to the idea of cutting their fingers and toes off with a pair of rusty bolt-cutters.
LOL! I like it!, it was the rust bit that got me! :lol:

Al

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:04 am

The radio was really pissing me off though! It really did seem like every other band was that style of CACK. Agh. :twisted:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:07 am

That's why i dont listen to the radio a lot, way to much of that drivel for my liking.....it actually makes me feel like killing someone.. :x

Al

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:20 am

Al wrote:That's why i dont listen to the radio a lot, way to much of that drivel for my liking.....it actually makes me feel like killing someone.. :x

Al
Believe it or not I actually listen to Radio Four all the time - even though it's relentlessly bourgeois fucking tripe I have to say that all those middle class accents have a soothing effect on me. I also love the shipping forecast on long-wave. I don't have it very loud - just a murmur in the b/ground. But I do literally have it on ALL the time. It's in the periphery of a lot of my recordings too, especially the quiter accoustic songs. I've become so used to it being there - murmuring away to itself - that if I turn it off the house suddenly sounds lonely and empty. So that's why I leave it on even when I'm recording - 'cos I just feel totally unnerved if it gets switched off; I can't relax into the performance thing.

But obviously sometimes even I get pissed off with Radio 4, and that's when I switch to Radio 5. But generally it's a bit too Radio Bloke - sport, etc.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:25 am

bobbydj wrote:
Al wrote:That's why i dont listen to the radio a lot, way to much of that drivel for my liking.....it actually makes me feel like killing someone.. :x

Al
Believe it or not I actually listen to Radio Four all the time - even though it's relentlessly bourgeois fucking tripe I have to say that all those middle class accents have a soothing effect on me. I also love the shipping forecast on long-wave. I don't have it very loud - just a murmur in the b/ground. But I do literally have it on ALL the time. It's in the periphery of a lot of my recordings too, especially the quiter accoustic songs. I've become so used to it being there - murmuring away to itself - that if I turn it off the house suddenly sounds lonely and empty. So that's why I leave it on even when I'm recording - 'cos I just feel totally unnerved if it gets switched off; I can't relax into the performance thing.

But obviously sometimes even I get pissed off with Radio 4, and that's when I switch to Radio 5. But generally it's a bit too Radio Bloke - sport, etc.

I usually have the T.V. on with the sound turned down when i'm sitting noodling or writing with my guitar, strange that, a similar kind of thing...

I only listen to the radio in the car, never bother in the house.....

Right, off to do some work now...pip pip

Al

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:03 am

I gotta say that punk is alive and well over here in the US. And the thing is, it's not just whiny rich kids. The Pittsburgh punk scene is among the best I've seen anywhere. There's an amazing nonprofit/DIY performance space: http://www.therobotoproject.org, there are tons of bands, and there are people of all ages in the scene. Of course, it's mostly white, but that's punk for you.

Now me, I'm not really partial to most of the music. I like my rock more processed, but I've had a string of people involved in the scene come through my classes, and I have much much respect for them.

Best,
--JES

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:10 am

Punk is dead. It died 1977.
Werd.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:17 am

Glib fucker.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:48 am

oi!