Pixies, the DVD

matttherat
gettin' sounds

Pixies, the DVD

Post by matttherat » Thu May 20, 2004 1:09 pm

I got the new Pixies DVD last night and watched the documentary segment so far.

All I can say is Holy Crap! I've always been a fan, but they were/are simply amazing.

The documentary is interspered with live footage that SOUNDS like, if not better, than the studio recordings. Simply amazing.

David Lovering is a monster.

That's all. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Anyone else see it?

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: Pixies, the DVD

Post by bedbug » Thu May 20, 2004 1:19 pm

matttherat wrote:
That's all. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Anyone else see it?
I was a little disappointed to see that the concert portion of the DVD was so heavy on the early songs. It's this damn revisionist history that says Surfa Rosa was their only important album. Am I the only one who digs Trompe Le Monde?

I am a sucker for a good documentary though, so I suppose I'll pick it up.

SpockPicasso
gettin' sounds

Post by SpockPicasso » Thu May 20, 2004 1:19 pm

They were watching this in my neighborhood video store the other night, and I got totally sucked in. Can't wait to see the whole thing.

Why is everybody down on Bossanova? I love that record. Some of the folks interviewed in the dvd were kinda hard on it.

-sp
Down in the basement we hear the sound of machines...

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu May 20, 2004 1:26 pm

SpockPicasso wrote:
Why is everybody down on Bossanova? I love that record. Some of the folks interviewed in the dvd were kinda hard on it.

-sp
Hmmm ... can only speak for myself here, but obviously the production is quite dated sounding. Still though, great songs, Dig for Fire, Allison ... although it gets off to a weak start, IMHO. I'm down with covers. I'm down with instrumentals. But to kick off an album with a cover of an instrumental ... and don't even get me started on the Death to the Pixies "best" of.

Mostly, I'd say it gets ragged on because of the production which is such a shame considering there's some really good material on it.

matttherat
gettin' sounds

Post by matttherat » Thu May 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Yeah, it's too bad there wasn't other footage from different periods. But still.

I loved Trompe Le Monde when it came out. I listened to constantly that year. I still love those songs.

My entry point to the Pixies was Doolittle. Come on Pilgrim was actually the record I discovered last.

I also think it's funny what an impact they had on the UK, not only fan wise but so many bands.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu May 20, 2004 3:02 pm

there was this bar in alicante spain called Pixies. it was filled with pictures of the Pixies. i think it is still there.

it is a strange strange place.

i put the pixies DVD #1 on netflix. thanks for the heads up.

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Thu May 20, 2004 3:36 pm

bedbug wrote:Am I the only one who digs Trompe Le Monde?

Nope! I've forever been of the opinion that Trompe le Monde is without question their best album. From a songwriting standpoint, I think it's the most consistent and cohesive. Perfect balance of slashing rockers - Planet of Sound, Sad Punk, the title track, etc.. and immaculately crafted pop - Letter to Memphis, Motorway to Roswell, Navajo Know, and lot's in-between, like Distance = Rate times time, Palace of the Brine. I've never understood what people have against this album.

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Post by markee2004 » Thu May 20, 2004 4:21 pm

Yeah I love bossanova to. I think the production on that record was great, especially the drum sounds. this record does have some really nothingy songs on it though ("all over the world" etc...). And I would have to take issue with the guy that says "although it gets off to a weak start" cause I thought the first 4 or so songs where the best. "Velouria" is deffinately my favourite Pixies song.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Fri May 21, 2004 4:29 pm

There's very few bands that I'd consider myself to be a "fanatic" about. The Pixies is one of them. In my oh-so-humble opinion, they never wrote a bad song. I broke out Trompe le Monde the other day, and had the best time singing along to it in my car. I forgot how great the album is.

Like the post above me, I came in at Doolittle; went back to sufer rosa/come on pilgrim, and then followed the rest. I've never felt even close to being let down by that band.

I think all of it was inspired.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Fri May 21, 2004 9:19 pm

Yea, F the naysayers. It is all good. I agree on so many points you all have mentioned. I agree Trompe Le Monde is probably their best album from a song writing standpoint. And Bossanova does indeed rock, especially because it contains "Velouria". Shit, I could go on forever about this band.

I remember the very first second I heard the Pixies actually. It was when Doolittle had just been released and a friend of mine let me hear it. We were sitting on the bleachers in the gymnasium of my old high school and I wouldn't give him his headphones back. The first song I heard was "Hey" in fact.
-GABE

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Sat May 22, 2004 8:51 am

i was in a car with my old girlfriend and she was listening to tromp le monde, I was hooked. I made her copy it for me cause I knew we werent gonna last long...hehe

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat May 22, 2004 9:08 am

Velouria was the first i'd really heard of the pixies, found it in a bargain bin in woolworths for when i was about fourteen for next to nothing. Got home and played it to death, don't think i'd ever heard anything quite like it (well you wouldn't have would you?), put it on cassette to listen to on holiday that year in jersey and just listened to it over and over. I don't think they made a bad record. Trompe Le Monde has the only valid use of finger-tapping ever as far as i'm concerned (it is tapping isn't it?). Every record's unique to itself, they moved about lyrically and musically whilst remaining true to what they were, no big jumping about music-wise, just interesting themselves in different areas, seems like it was totally for their own benefit.

A couple of years ago i started playing their stuff again and now my missus is a fan too. They were just great. Are they still? Anyone seem them live since they got back together? Is it a permanent thing or just a tour or whatever? I'm out of the loop these days.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com