Best quotes from TapeOpCon

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: Best quotes from TapeOpCon

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:50 pm

cgarges wrote:"(On) some of the early punk stuff I recorded, the guitars may sound good simply because the drums really sucked so bad."
--Don Zientara
This one rocks. Gotta love that Don Z...

yeah, i know cosmo's heart was in the right place, i just wasn't sure...
;)

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:57 pm

I didn't take exception to Cosmo's lesbian comment. But then again I'm not a lesbian! I only play one on TV. I don't think he meant it in a disparaging way, tho, and he certainly spoke fondly of her. I think there is a tendency in older folks to attach descriptivephrases to people that don't necessarilly contribute to the story. My grandmother, for example, would ALWAYS include the ethnicity of a person when speaking of them... "Oh grandma was just visiting the Armenian down the street... grandma just met this nice colored gal... have you met the new Germans in the neighborhood?" Whether racist or not, I think the intent was to convey a certain attribute. We are so far removed from that now (or at least SOME of us are) that it seems not only foriegn, but shocking to hear someone speak that way. I remembered thinking to myself at the time "who cares if she was a lesbian, if she could do the job, she could do the job." But then I also thought there were so few openly gay people in that day, let alone woman recording engineers that maybe it was somehow germaine to his story. Then I thought I was overanalyzing the fuck out of it and why don't I just sit back and enjoy Cosmo's stories. Then I left the building and got very drunk. And blacked out. And don't remember anything of the next two days. Can someone come and pick me up in New Orleans? Oh it hurts.

S/H
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:46 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:
yeah, i know cosmo's heart was in the right place, i just wasn't sure...
;)
My girlfriend set me straight (she's got far more memory brain cells than me :roll: )

Cosmo: I used to work with this girl, well, not
exactly a girl, she was a lesbian. Her name was
Roberta, etc., etc. (Goes on to praise her incredibly.)

... just for the record because I got it wrong before.
I think we are all in agreement that this does not reflect on his heart...

Spy Boy
audio school graduate

Post by Spy Boy » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:23 am

... just for the record because I got it wrong before.
I think we are all in agreement that this does not reflect on his heart
I'm not sure about using the quote feature, but I'm certain you are right about Cosmo's heart. I wouldn't want anyone who doesn't know him or heard about this second-hand to think otherwise about Cosmo.

The fact of the matter is that Cosmo lived in a very segragated deep south and yet defied the Jim Crow segregation laws and the unions of the time to run an integrated studio and integrated recording sessions. He has been absolutely respectful and accepting of everyone since way before "diversity" was promoted as the right thing. He is however, pre-PC. He's an Italian guy, I'm a Jewish guy, he works with black guys, lesbians, whatever.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:36 am

I'm glad Hillary brought up the quote though. It's through individual conversations that the world slowly grows better... and Cosmo certainly did a lot of great things non-audio

climbing off soapbox now... time to work :rockin:

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:06 am

scott anthony wrote:It's through individual conversations that the world slowly grows better...
:^:

S/H
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:59 am

ahh, the love from the con has found it's way to the board...
:hearts:

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:20 am

TapeOpHillary wrote:ahh, the love from the con has found it's way to the board...
I owe you a lapdance Hil! :lol:

S/H
-Hunter S. Thompson

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:27 am

sissy_hankshaw wrote:
TapeOpHillary wrote:ahh, the love from the con has found it's way to the board...
I owe you a lapdance Hil! :lol:

S/H
Aren't you forgetting someone? :oops:

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:05 am

wing wrote:Aren't you forgetting someone?
OK, Jon, you can have the pizza or the lapdance, but not both! Life is all about choices. However, if I'm elected president, there will be lapdances and pizza for all!

Don't vote Bush. Don't vote Kerry. Those guys are lame! Hankshaw for President! A pizza in every microwave and a lapdance at every bus stop... Working together for a better tomorrow.

(paid for by nobody, b/c this messageboard is free)

S/H
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Alan Miller
dead but not forgotten

Post by Mark Alan Miller » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:43 am

Dave Fridmann (paraphrased a bit, possibly): "Get the sucking over with early."
he took a duck in the face at two and hundred fifty knots.

http://www.radio-valkyrie.com/ao/aoindex.htm - download the new record (free is an option!) or get it on CD.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:14 am

"Get the sucking over with early."
Well that goes without saying. My only requirement for an intern has always been that they had to fit under the console. :twisted:

S/H
-Hunter S. Thompson