Quicktime

antilog
george martin

Quicktime

Post by antilog » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:36 pm

Ok whats the deal?

So much Quicktime content out there, which makes me want to install it again, but last couple installs it totally hijacks settings even to the point that uninstalling won't fix it.

Any tricks? I just wish I could use Winamp...
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Quicktime

Post by wing » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:42 pm

wha? winamp is a great audio player, but about the worst video player i've ever used.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:44 pm

yes, but has anyone used quicktime w/o it penetrating the holy regions of your registry?

Last time I installed it, it hijacked playing audio content through web pages, even after uninstalling it, even after setting it to not do that.
Last edited by antilog on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:45 pm

what i want to know is why, when using quicktime pro (or whatever it's called) to resize an .mpg (during an export to a qt movie), does the audio track go away???
frustrating...

Current Resistance
gettin' sounds

Post by Current Resistance » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:57 pm

Quicktime is nice to my computer, but i'm on a mac.

it's WMP and real player that hijack me.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:58 pm

i think in the preferences of every program like that you can select them to be your primary device for viewing media. just deselect that. is that what you're referring to? or, select the device of your choice to be the preferred viewer.
that devil bastard protools

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:07 pm

jca83 wrote:i think in the preferences of every program like that you can select them to be your primary device for viewing media. just deselect that. is that what you're referring to? or, select the device of your choice to be the preferred viewer.
i went through plenty of detail when I troubleshot it, in ie settings, quicktime settings, windows sound settings, file associations, etc

i don't like proprietary formats too much

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:57 pm

Use Quicktime Alternative. There's also Real Alternative, for RealVideo/Audio. You can learn more about them here.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:57 am

Quicktime works fine on both my mac an pc. On the pc, if you want it to play specific content with some other player, get properties on the type of file, then change it to 'open with' and choose the app you want to open that particular type of file. You can also change the setting in IE or other browsers to play certain mime types (file types associated with web pages) with a certain player. I believe QT asks you during install if you want to change those mime types - just say no and things will work as usual.

Hillary - are you having that QT export problem on PC or Mac?
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:22 pm

bombastique wrote:Quicktime works fine on both my mac an pc. On the pc, if you want it to play specific content with some other player, get properties on the type of file, then change it to 'open with' and choose the app you want to open that particular type of file. You can also change the setting in IE or other browsers to play certain mime types (file types associated with web pages) with a certain player. I believe QT asks you during install if you want to change those mime types - just say no and things will work as usual.

Hillary - are you having that QT export problem on PC or Mac?
yes yes yes. believe me. i have done all of this.

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:41 pm

evan wrote:Use Quicktime Alternative. There's also Real Alternative, for RealVideo/Audio. You can learn more about them here.
Damn, thanks! I just installed these, and they work fine. Fast, too.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:53 pm

bombastique wrote:Hillary - are you having that QT export problem on PC or Mac?
i'm on a mac. os x...