Old Phone Numbers

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Old Phone Numbers

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:33 am

How do old phone numbers, like "Jackson 8902" work. What did the jackson part mean, and was the number just as random as ours was today?? How did you dial it on a rotary phone??? What should I keep in mine when coming up with an acurate fictional old phone number??? What was the "555" equivilent of that day??? What was the 976 equivilent?
also, how did a giant switchboard, like new york city, operate efore dialing??? It wasn't just like calling Sarah on the Andy Griffith Show, was it??

Curiouser and curiouser....

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Re: Old Phone Numbers

Post by signorMars » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:14 am

the "jackson" part was just a mnemonic device standing for the first two digits of the number. for example, in the movies you will always hear them say "Klondike 5, 2849" or something to that effect. Written out, klondike 5 is KL5. K & L are both on the number 5 on a phone, so Klondike 5 = 555. As for the switchboard, i THINK... not sure since i wasn't even close to alive then, that you pick up the phone and tell the operator what number to connect to, and they patch you in. and at that time, there werent really enough phone numbers to necessitate an area code, i guess.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:37 am

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:03 am

No, that didn't help at all.

wenzel.hellgren
buyin' gear

Post by wenzel.hellgren » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:27 pm

There were not area codes because there wasn't any long distance. Each town had it's own exchange that wasn't connected to anybody else.

Girl Toes
carpal tunnel

Post by Girl Toes » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:52 am

Ah. That was some great information. Thank you.

The only thing I would be confused about is, that would still make for a 7 digit number. Annd there is a what's his name... Allen Sherman?? Its slipping my mind, you know "Hello Mudda, Hello Fatha," he has another song complaining about AT&T's forcing us to now use long 7 digit numbers, and then area codes for long distance as well. It was from the early 60's, so I had the impression that numbers were shorter. I would wonder why if the numbers continued to be 7 digits, then why would we cease to use pnumonic deviced anymore.

Thank you.