PJ Harvey on Letterman I think

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

PJ Harvey on Letterman I think

Post by DryCounty » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:18 pm

Jesus, I leave one channel-surfing post and now I leave another...

I simply don't have anything better to do with my time.

Anyway, PJ Harvey is on Letterman in a few minutes, should anyone be up and reading and wishing to see it. I think it's new. Bill Murray is on now, dressed as a clown.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

whatchamachicken
gettin' sounds

Re: PJ Harvey on Letterman I think

Post by whatchamachicken » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:44 pm

I just finished watching that. Bill Murray is one goofy son-of-a-bitch. He was pretty funny as always. PJ Harvey was pretty cool too.
If it sounds good, it is good.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:38 am

How many pedals does that guy really need for a three minute rock song? Her lips kind of creep me out. That guy really has the prep-school rebel thing going. He needs to spend more time getting in touch with his feelings I think. Isn't she ronald reagan's daughter? oh wait that's patty

1) i'm working from home at 12:30 at night
2) I'm watching TV at the same time

zing

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:42 am

Didn't notice the pedals. The lips are hard to miss. She really punked out. Did the bass player even get to play?
A.L. wrote:How many pedals does that guy really need for a three minute rock song? Her lips kind of creep me out. That guy really has the prep-school rebel thing going. He needs to spend more time getting in touch with his feelings I think. Isn't she ronald reagan's daughter? oh wait that's patty

1) i'm working from home at 12:30 at night
2) I'm watching TV at the same time

zing

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:19 am

Yeah, I don't know if I actually enjoyed the track or not, but this has happened with a lot of PJ's stuff in the past. I won't think I like it until I find myself humming it later on.

I didn't hear the bassist either.

But I did enjoy those yellow dish gloves for some reason.
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:15 am

She's still doing the dishgloves? Wow - Marigold veteran.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:03 am

yeah, i wasn't sure if I liked it or not. His guitar tone bothered me in the beginning, but then i really started digging it. The bass player was plinking away but i didn't hear anything.

(begin objectifying)
I think the idea of PJ is really hot - like when you combine her music and some of her prominent attributes in your head. But when I see her, I always think it is a tracy ullman skit. And he has a bit of a moustache (unless it is just the shadow from her nose), and in that dress her bod kinda screamed 65 year old new yorker lady.
(end objectifying)

I can tell you that i LOVED the song after it was over and i switched over to crappy leno and the F*ckin' Calling was on. One of the guitar players was also playing an orange (like the PL guy), but sounded terrible. And that SINGER, makes me ill - I mean he is a joke right - getting all up into the camera, looking all serious and half jumping around saying some crap like "these are the times of our lives". Fuck, fuck, fuck. Long live PJ.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

cashed checks
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cashed checks » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:04 am

i don't know how i feel about the actual song, and have never owned a PJ Harvey record but they souunded great for a talk show. and... THATS THE EXACT FREAKIN' GUITAR SOUND I'VE ALWAYS BEEN LOOKING FOR! i've heard Orange amps, but i think the sound was more the guitar and mic-ing(not your typical talk show mics as far as i could tell). I kept trying to see what kind of pickups were on that thing. The sound i'm looking for can best be described as "shitty," but a good kind of "shitty." they nailed it.

I would love to play bass on that song, i mean, get paid to play 4 notes the whole song, rediculous!

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:33 am

i thought a big part of the sound was the guitar, which was a national i think - the guitar du jour given the white stripes connection. i have an affection for crappy guitars and that was key to the sound - crappy guitar with lots of bassy overdrive.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz