The Lies of Michael Moore

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: The Lies of Michael Moore

Post by trashy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:06 pm

Fuckity fuck ass cock missle bitch chips. That's what cool ranch is. It's not even a real flavor, where as nachos were invented by dinosaurs. Are you gonna argue with a scientist t-rex? Huh? He'll give you a scientific lecture, which will be boring, then eat your fucking face. Then he'll take the Pepsi can from your hand and banish to it a neaby volcanoe. You know nothing. Nothing! UTFSF indeed! 3,000 dinosaur scientists cannot be wrong! I am an emotional vampire!
Whoa! Bear has spoken...

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:06 pm

Christopher Hitchens is an ass, but he was right about Kissinger.

Michael Moore is a genius filmmaker. He gets the larger point across, and damn the details. This is like nit picking Dances with Wolves because it left out the ugly parts about the Sioux. The Sioux have been picked on for centuries, let's cut them some slack. Bush has been putting out his lies every day for the last three years. Let's kick his ass.

I like pretzels.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:34 pm

foley wrote:Christopher Hitchens is an ass, but he was right about Kissinger.
Actually, he was also right about Mother Teresa. Friends tell me that his obsession with the Clintons got downright unhealthy, though.

Sometimes a corn tortilla with some melted cheese on it is just the right thing.

--JES

ryan_c
steve albini likes it

Post by ryan_c » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:18 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie. I'm willing to bet that most of it will be accurate. I'm also willing to bet that I'll think that maybe Moore will reach too far on a couple of stupid points that I'll disagree with. He has a tendency to be too heavy-handed at times. I don't look at his movies as being documentaries. I mean, to split hairs, I guess they are, but they aren't documentaries the way a National Geographic show or Lost in La Mancha are documentaries. I would agree that his movies are the visual equivalent of an op-ed piece. He has an agenda, and I can't fault him for pushing it as long as his facts are good.

As for the article, I think that guy is a total jackass, and makes extremely flimsy non-points to support his argument. Plus, I don't trust anyone who uses the words "lugubrious" and "filmic."

All I'm hoping to get out of the movie is a couple of laughs and I'd like to learn something new. Those are my only expectations.

Also, I don't like Doritos, but I do like Chili Cheese Fritos.
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THE DANGER!

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:53 am

foley wrote:Christopher Hitchens is an ass, but he was right about Kissinger.
My sentiments exactly. That's the only issue where I thought he was speaking from clarity and not some personal agenda.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:03 am

A vote for Chili Chese Fritos is a vote for nacho cheese. HIPPY!

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:26 am

Rick Hunter wrote:A vote for Chili Chese Fritos is a vote for nacho cheese. HIPPY!
nah, cool ranch in itself describes to me cowboy hippies... and who the heck wants to be that crap?

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:55 am

anyone a fan of the "flamin' hot cheetos"?

let the jokes commence.
that devil bastard protools

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:01 am

AMY GOODMAN: So, would you say that the dissent space allowed for it has actually tightened up, has closed down now?

MIKE FARRELL (Trapper John): Very much so. "M.A.S.H." could not be on the air today. They would not put ton the air today. Secondly, if they did, it would be some sort of utterly, I think irrelevant piece of garbage that would be all about dropping your pants and doing terribly stupid and inane things, because that's what television has reduced itself to. And if we were continuing -- if we were actually on the air saying the sorts of things that we said at the time, there would be all of these protests. You know, the same people that took the Reagan movie off the air by protesting and the same people that have insisted that you cannot do this, you cannot do that, the same people that are fighting Michael Moore's movie are trying to suggest that the American public shouldn't have access to information.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl? ... 25/1539209
boobs are life's fountain

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:23 am

Look at the bag of Nacho Doritos. It's red. Look at the bag of Cool Ranch doritos. It's blue. Look at the maps of the states on election night sometime. They are colored red and blue, Democrat and Republican. Then look at the bag of Guacamole Doritos, which are newer and fewer people buy them. They are green. The Green Party?

Man, I am so deep sometimes. Really deep.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:27 am

I think your a fucking commie pinko hippy.

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:07 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:I think your a fucking commie pinko hippy.
Damn right. That commie tried to sell me a pepsi from his trenchcoat, but I told him I don't drink that commie juice. Then I jumped in the air, spread my legs and landed on the back of a giant eagle and flew away. And when I was directly over top of him, I punched the eagle in the back of the head and it threw up on him.
I am wangtacular.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:17 pm

Wow. A little piece of me is crying.

Edit: In a good way.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:19 pm

WING, what is that "staged" scene you're talking about?

I recently read both "Dude, where's my country?" and "Lies..." by Franken. Moore makes really good observations about people (America is actually liberal!), and is a very strong idealist. But I agree, sometimes he nears absurdity, and he loses me. I think he's the strongest when he sticks by the facts. That's why I enjoyed Franken's book.. he lets the facts tell the story. Clinton said on 60 minutes, I think, recently that " as long as [democrats] stick with the evidence, they won't lose" (the battle of ideals)

Michale Moore was on Comedy Central last night, and Jon Stewart asked him point blank if his movie is supposed to be fair (to all views) and he said "No, of course not".

That's much more enviable than O'Reilly, who hides behind his facade of "No Spin" Give me afucking break.

http://mediamatters.org