This shit don't PLAY in L.A. homies

SoundScene
audio school graduate

This shit don't PLAY in L.A. homies

Post by SoundScene » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:41 am

Man, the way some guys go on about gear. Strictly amateur hour. Let me tell you something: in L.A., we'll eat you alive. We fuckin eat "aficiondos" like you guys for breakfast. "Tell me about the latest AKG piece of crap..." I'll tell you what it is: IT SUCKS. Your RODE? It sucks. Your little ProTools rig? Sucks. In L.A. ProTools is the standard, and we fucking KNOW it sucks. How do we know it sucks? We fucking use that shit EVERY DAY with these creatures known as CLIENTS who PAY US MONEY for RECORDING their "MUSIC."

You guys know anything about that?

If you do, welcome to L.A., baby. If you don't, see you fuckin clowns in fuckin' Palookaville.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: This shit don't PLAY in L.A. homies

Post by wing » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:44 am

sounds like LA sucks... thanks for the warning.

my perspective is it's about the music... and it doesn't matter where you're from, or what gear you have, or who can eat you for breakfast. who cares? i'd rather go hang out in a home recording studio with some small 4 track and just make music all day than ever go to a "nice studio" in a place like LA. but whatever.

HoneyBear
audio school graduate

Post by HoneyBear » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:45 am

Judging from your demeanor you must have great client relationships. There are some heavyweights on this board (admittedly not me) who could teach you some stuff and humility will get you much further than being a punk. By the way - great music can be made anywhere.

rauri76
takin' a dinner break

Post by rauri76 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:46 am

I agree with the Winger,
What in sam hell spawned that rant anyways.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:47 am

HoneyBear wrote:By the way - great music can be made anywhere.
No. This is false. Great music can be made only in LA with the hottest shit on the planet by the biggest stars ever.

:roll:

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:00 pm

Holy crap, this has got to be a joke.
If that's what you actually think, soundscene, you are
definitely in the WRONG forum. I suggest http://www.prosoundweb.com/forums/ .
The people tend to be a bit more intolerant and arrogant over there. More
your speed.

And word to your, mother, Soundscene, definitely word.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerp!

SoundScene
audio school graduate

Post by SoundScene » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:01 pm

wing wrote:
No. This is false. Great music can be made only in LA with the hottest shit on the planet by the biggest stars ever.

wing wrote:[ :roll:
No shit Sherlock. That's why WE do it. And we do it every freaking day. Tell me something, I'm standing there with a Schoeps wide open, we're talking Mr. Neve, were talking Mr. API, Mr. Studer, we're talking major label bucks, A&R pressure, agents, girlfriends, and, oh yeah--PROFESSIONAL engineers and SIGNED musicians: do you think the first thing on my mind is what cheap piece of shit to order from Chuck'sHotGear.Com? Am I drooling over a new mackie mixer?

Answer in a nutshell: HELL NO.

I'm fucking getting as good a sound as I can as quickly as time allows for and printing that shit ASAP. I'm not sitting on my ass cutting out pictures of Behringer's latest criminal monstrosity and wondering how fucking Ringo managed to sound so shitty and everyone still likes him. Capish?

And THEN if I manage to get home by 1:00 A.M. the last thing on my mind is the new fucking POD piece of crap.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:02 pm

can you say "troll".....

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

stuntbutt
pushin' record

Post by stuntbutt » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:07 pm

L.A.? Awesome! Man, did you record that song from that action movie? You know, the one where the veteran cop and the rookie cop run at the camera slo mo and the veteran cop says "I'm gettin' too old for this shittttttttt" right as there is a big explosion behind them. Man that song rocks.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:08 pm

man, all we missed out on was "who's trip-trapping across my bridge?"

thanks for the info, troll. don't let the door hit you in the ass...
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:10 pm

SoundScene wrote:
wing wrote:

wing wrote:[ :roll:
No shit Sherlock. That's why WE do it. And we do it every freaking day. Tell me something, I'm standing there with a Schoeps wide open, we're talking Mr. Neve, were talking Mr. API, Mr. Studer, we're talking major label bucks, A&R pressure, agents, girlfriends, and, oh yeah--PROFESSIONAL engineers and SIGNED musicians: do you think the first thing on my mind is what cheap piece of shit to order from Chuck'sHotGear.Com? Am I drooling over a new mackie mixer?

Answer in a nutshell: HELL NO.

I'm fucking getting as good a sound as I can as quickly as time allows for and printing that shit ASAP. I'm not sitting on my ass cutting out pictures of Behringer's latest criminal monstrosity and wondering how fucking Ringo managed to sound so shitty and everyone still likes him. Capish?

And THEN if I manage to get home by 1:00 A.M. the last thing on my mind is the new fucking POD piece of crap.
As I'm sure everyone knows, this attitude completely the opposite of what TapeOp is about.

We don't care about cookie-cutter radio fodder made on the same standardized high-dollar gear in egregiously expensive rooms by arrogant douchebag engineers who could give a shit about the music, and are only in it for the money and basically just lucky enough to be in that semi-enviable position.

We are regular folks, some pro, many not, who are trying make and record music on our own terms, the best we can, with what we can afford.

We are punk rock engineers, and we don't care what you think you know, cause your attitude sucks.

None of this matter of course, since you are a complete troll.

Next, please.

|<|>|

SoundScene
audio school graduate

Post by SoundScene » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 pm

stuntbutt wrote:L.A.? Awesome! Man, did you record that song from that action movie? You know, the one where the veteran cop and the rookie cop run at the camera slo mo and the veteran cop says "I'm gettin' too old for this shittttttttt" right as there is a big explosion behind them. Man that song rocks.
I've done some work for what is known as the motion picture industry. Bit more workaday, but it's more chill too than the usual drama of a session for what is known as the recording industry.

Ever have to replace the caps on some "vintage" piece of shit that everyone genuflects before, and since everyone says it's A1 they want to add it to their special sauce? Youre standing there with a soldering gun in your hand as the VP from Capitol is fucking asking when his arugula salad is going to somehow magically appear?

L.A.'s a funny bitch. She'll shit all over ya one minute. The next she's coming at you with a contract for the biggest fucking paycheck you're ever likely to see. Then she asks you to A. Walk on water B. Eat glass C. Spit fire D. Lunch. Not necessarily in that order.

O, you think it's glamorous? Yeah, if your idea of "glamour" is being holed up with a bitter old hack trying to make some fucking rapper sound as if he has a shred of anything interesting to say, think, feel, do, whatever.

It is a state of mind, no question. But it's the only one I know.
Last edited by SoundScene on Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 pm

SoundScene,

Your words are those of an insecure punk. I hope you stay in L.A....with an attitude like that you'd never make it in New York.

monkeyboy
gettin' sounds

Post by monkeyboy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:15 pm

*sssssh! be really quiet*
maybe the troll will think no one is here and go home.
Nerp!

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:17 pm

kdarr wrote:arrogant douchebag engineers who could give a shit about the music
well, remember, he's not recording music, he's recording "MUSIC" - it must be different, check the capitalization and quotes.

dunno, maybe it's an L.A. thing.

or does he mean LA - it's really D-Funk, come back to haunt us.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's