yeah yeah yeahs

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

yeah yeah yeahs

Post by ubertar » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:04 am

I just saw a video of theirs of a song called "rich"... this is the first time I've actually heard what this band sounds like, tho I've heard the hype for a long time.
Is this song typical of what they do, or can they really play?
It just seemed really amateurish and uninspired, and it's hard to imagine they'd have the following they do if their other stuff sounds like this. If I saw this in a club I would leave. Maybe this was just a clip from early in their career before they knew what they were doing?

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Re: yeah yeah yeahs

Post by Shabbadoo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:37 am

they aren't fancy or technical, their stuff is simple and direct and they're a trio, so that usually means no bass.

The reason people like them so much is they play with total abandon and crazy energy. And Karen O is a total spastic freak, which is entertaining.
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:46 am

Sirius plays their stuff regularly. A couple of songs were just awful, but that "they don't love you like I love you" song I like a lot.

The same goes for Belle & Sebastian. Some songs are super catchy and fun and some are boring and tedious. It bugs me when that happens.
-GABE

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:53 am

They're entertainers, not musicians - or at least not terribly talented ones.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:34 am

Very good rock music, which means they care not, 'cept to get you pregnant. I've gotten pregnant many times over, listening to YYYs... and I have a penis.
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:34 am

oh man, i totally disagree. that guys drumming and the guitar playing is great. totally interesting parts. if you don't like it you don't like it, but i think fever to tell is a great record. the drum parts are pretty creative in my mind and the guitars are cool how he does so many textures (remember, it's drums, guitar and vocals). working within those confines they're pretty awesome.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:02 pm

I'd say the minimal effect, yet not that minimal, along with the energy and style make Fever To Tell one of my fave records over the past year. Karen O's vocals are great, the guitar parts are catchy as fuck. Its raw and stylish without pretense. Live show was energetic and a hell of a lot of fun. If you can get seattle jumping up and down, you're doing something right.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:10 pm

I really like the first ep, the one with Art Star and Our Time. I agree with xonlocust, the guitarist gets some nice parts going, and the drumming is solid. Karen O is a great singer.. I bought the Fever to Tell, but so far nothing much on it has grabbed me.
beware bee wear

digdug
pushin' record

Post by digdug » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:16 pm

I really enjoy this album now, but it probably took 3 months of repeated listening before anything stuck. Cept the "they don't love you like I..." song. That one got me pretty immediately.