Best new group you've found or been turned on to lately...

markee2004
takin' a dinner break

Re: Best new group you've found or been turned on to lately.

Post by markee2004 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:07 pm

I'm really turned on by polly harvey at the moment. But that's another thread altogether.

I think there is no good original new music around at the moment it's all retrofied rubbish or indie cliche, and I'm sorry but franz ferdinand are the biggest piece of crap I've heard in years. No real music fan could ever like them. I litteraly thought broken social scene were a joke band?

Although there not particuarly new theres a couple of english bands that are unknown in America. that are better than any band formed in America in the last 10 years. ie "Queena Dreena" and "nought".

I don't mean to sound like "this band is better than that band" sort of mentality. I'm just writing it straight as I think it.
you can buy all the equipment in the world but it won't write the music for you.

markrpaulson
audio school

Post by markrpaulson » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:01 pm

gotta do it-

ticonderoga

www.ticonderobics.com

all the music is free to download, so have at, y'all. and yes, they record themselves.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:30 am

markee2004 wrote:I'm really turned on by polly harvey at the moment. But that's another thread altogether.

Although there not particuarly new theres a couple of english bands that are unknown in America. that are better than any band formed in America in the last 10 years. ie "Queena Dreena" and "nought".

I don't mean to sound like "this band is better than that band" sort of mentality. I'm just writing it straight as I think it.
What do you like about these two bands?

Re: your last statement, it's kinda hard to avoid here. I always think to myself, 'don't judge, describe', but it's pointless.

you like what you like and you don't what you don't.

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:36 am

The Franz Ferdinand CD is catchy as anything. I like it. And oddly enough, I'm a musician. Go figure.
-GABE

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:23 am

Yeah - I think it has some character. I'm sort of sick of seeing them everywhere and my god they were shite supporting Interpol. But the singles're ok, imo.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:26 am

I bought the Franz Ferdinand CD a couple days ago to hear what the fuss was about. Yeah I like it. Damn good CD. My head is nodding right now. Plus my girlfriend likes it, which is good cause I dont get yelled at when I put it on.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:52 am

So I keep on hearing about this Franz Ferdinand, I will have to check this out and get the skinny myself.

I just got Particle, and I dig it, but as many who already have seen me in public with clothes on, I am really big on funk. Unfortunatley one of my favorite musicians is now on the can't fuck with it list. I just heard a track with Bootsy and Fat Boy Slim. What the hell is this world coming to?
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:18 pm

Monkeyfist wrote:I just got a copy of Porterhouse Quintets: Thumbs Up Little Buddy.
They are as Bear would say Wangtacular! Blazing tight funk and groove. If you get a chance check em' out!

https://www.pcez.org/porterhouse
A friend of mine used to play bass for them, though I'm not sure if he's on the disc. Great band! Last time I saw them, they were doing a tribute to Herbie Hancock's Headhunters that was totally mind blowing!

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:50 pm

Franz: I saw the single's video on MTV, and dug it. Even dug in on the radio. Heard a few more songs (I think off their website? Amazon.com? Don't remember now), and I was really put off. But then my musical tastes are spastic at best.

New: Been digging on The Streets (A Grand Don't Come For Free) and a few free Part Chimp tracks (think Bleach-era Nirvana meets... um, Nirvana, if they had been slightly obsessed with Godflesh, in a dark, loud alley, sans all that cool dynamics play. Fuck, I can't describe it worth shit.). Oddly enough, I found them by reading Entertainment Weekly-- how weird is that?!?

To the fellow who mentioned The Kills: right on. I found them about the same time as The Black Keys and The White Stripes; they all seemed to fit together, somehow... all good stuff!

Rediscovered: Skinny Puppy, The Cure, Ministry. All three came out with new CDs within weeks of each other, and all are good! You know, for bands that have more or less been around for 20 years.

omegatr0n
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by omegatr0n » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:05 pm

ataraxia wrote: PELLETGUN from portland, the cd they recorded at jackpot. genius!
Yeah, Pellet Gun is awesome. They are actually from Eugene but yeah they've recorded at Jackpot and more recently at Revolver here in Portland as well. I went to their final concert ever in Eugene last weekend and they were great as always. They are going to be putting up a bunch of their music at http://www.pelletgun123.com soon. Oh and I have a copy of two songs that they gave away at the last concert. The recordings are gooood.
Tapeop or die.

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:29 am

The British Sea Power are pretty good. I've seen them a couple of times when the blew through town here.

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:59 pm

The Fiery Furnaces -- Blueberry Boat.

some great sounds on there.

Monkeyfist
re-cappin' neve

Post by Monkeyfist » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:03 am

[/quote]A friend of mine used to play bass for them, though I'm not sure if he's on the disc. Great band! Last time I saw them, they were doing a tribute to Herbie Hancock's Headhunters that was totally mind blowing![/quote]

The album I got was burned from a friend who burned it from a guy in Mini-soda. I got a bunch of stuff from him. Particle, Sound Tribe Sector Nine, a really good copy of Old And In The Way. I'd like to hear that Herbie Hancock album, that would rule me.
If you have legs and are on fire you are never blocking a fire exit.

M. Hedberg R.I.P.

www.10lblibido.com
www.hotlaundry.net
www.myspace.com/10lblibido
www.myspace.com/hotlaundry

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:27 pm

okay, this is old stuff but i've been turned on to it lately thanks to net radio...

Coil's Scatology album, namely the song 'Panic' really drew me in with that eletric violin sound used so creatively...i'm currently awaiting the album in the mail along with a t-shirt that i bought off of ebay...

The Venus In Furs' version of Brian Eno's 'Baby's On Fire'...i've never heard the original but it's an awesome song, it's got that whole Gary Numan 'Cars' feel to it and the lyrics are simply fabulous and vivid...

there's an old industrial band that formed before punk did in the 70's out of San Francisco called Chrome, i don't know if anyone here has ever heard of them but i became a huge fan of this band several years ago from buying an industrial compilation that happened to have a song of theirs called 'Firebomb', before i left cali for texas i bought one of their hard-to-find albums '3rd From The Sun & Into The Eyes Of The Zombie King' and have been hooked on it for years, and now since i have a credit card and everything i've been shopping ebay for hard-to-find things and have bought a lot of their albums, one of my favorite songs they do is 'Meet You In The Subway' and 'New Age', they have some of the best cover art too reflecting punk rock/dadaist times...if you've never heard of the Chrome i suggest you check them out...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

evan
buyin' gear

Post by evan » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:33 pm

I recently started listening to Deerhoof. Insane stuff. Especially the drummer. A 3-piece? Cymbal, snare, and bass drum? Barefoot? On a milkbox? The man's a whirlwind. They got a nasty guitar sound on Apple O' too.