TapeOp's Rain Dogs

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: TapeOp's Rain Dogs

Post by trashy » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:26 pm

here we go...

my "Clap Hands" which started out as a raggae cover, but got horribly horribly off track,

my briefcase, it's the only song in it

Your friend,
Phil

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:32 pm

cheers Madpie & Shabbaddo.
I like it, it's minimal and clear, but the feeling is there. Hard to think of a better way to do it. A difficult song to cover for sure, but you did a great job.

is that your chair making the sound at the end? There's some little pop sounds like edit points I heard in the middle
Yes very minimal. I recorded a second piano part and some single note guitar and synth stuff but couldn't get them to work in the mix so I dropped them out.

Yes the creaks at the end are my piano stool, I'm not much of a piano player and took forever to play it without fucking up and didn't want to track it again. I kinda like it now. As for pops? I'll check it again (my monitoring setup sucks) but yes there are a couple of edit points on the bass.

Ben, Alex. fantastic job, really sweet.
Madpie your version is really creative. I likes!

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:44 pm

trashy wrote:here we go...

my "Clap Hands" which started out as a raggae cover, but got horribly horribly off track,

Your friend,
Phil
that is the business!! Damn I love it. It really feels kinda like The International Noise Conspiracy. Awesome

magnetictape
audio school graduate

Post by magnetictape » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:57 pm

ok folks, here's my stab at Blind Love. everyone's recordings are sounding just lovely. I'm excited to be a part of this...

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:25 pm

OM15.2 wrote:...Yes the creaks at the end are my piano stool, I'm not much of a piano player and took forever to play it without fucking up and didn't want to track it again. I kinda like it now. As for pops? I'll check it again (my monitoring setup sucks) but yes there are a couple of edit points on the bass.
Your piano playing sounds super OM15.2, I like your stark version alot!
beware bee wear

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:49 pm

trashy wrote:here we go...

Your friend,
Phil
Awesome. Really fucking super Phil. The first guitar riff, the one that comes in on the right and plays that pattern all the way thru, what did you use? It sounds exactly like the opening of the Who's "A Legal Matter".
beware bee wear

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:59 pm

joeysimms wrote: Awesome. Really fucking super Phil. The first guitar riff, the one that comes in on the right and plays that pattern all the way thru, what did you use? It sounds exactly like the opening of the Who's "A Legal Matter".
Thanks! That's a tele through that little solid state "checkmate 16 bass and organ amp" that I'm always going on about. Neck pickup only. I used a 635 running through my tascam board on the amp, and a tapeop omni as a room mic.

Thanks again. When's yours done simmsy?

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:41 pm

magnetictape wrote:ok folks, here's my stab at Blind Love. everyone's recordings are sounding just lovely. I'm excited to be a part of this...
awesome-great job! we're getting closer

Heave away joeysimms, heave away!
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:23 pm

man! this rocks. you sound like damien jurado... :)
magnetictape wrote:ok folks, here's my stab at Blind Love. everyone's recordings are sounding just lovely. I'm excited to be a part of this...
i'd like to add that everyone else's is amazing. i'm very impressed here folks. i'm kinda scared to keep working on rain dogs, though. i need to reverb some things up, i think. i kinda suck. :)
that devil bastard protools

magnetictape
audio school graduate

Post by magnetictape » Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:16 am

jca83 wrote:man! this rocks.

thanks jca and shabadoo :) jca, don't be so self-deprecating! your abbey road piece was damn cool. looking forward to what you're putting together. shabadoo, gunstreetgirl is off the hook. I was like, whoa.

thecongostudio
steve albini likes it

Post by thecongostudio » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:39 pm

Sorry about delays. Things here are still insane. I hope to get something done really soon.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:23 pm

Wow, some pretty cool tracks so far. But... everybody has such *young* voices! After years of cultivating a Waits voice it's weird to hear the vocals any other way. :)

magnetictape
audio school graduate

Post by magnetictape » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:34 am

Scodiddly wrote: But... everybody has such *young* voices!
yeah, I'm not a smoker, and I'm young, so any attempts to gruff up my voice are at best a passable cookie monster. so I go with what I have ;)

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:21 am

Scodiddly wrote:Wow, some pretty cool tracks so far. But... everybody has such *young* voices! After years of cultivating a Waits voice it's weird to hear the vocals any other way. :)
Yeah, I can actually do a pretty good Tom Waits/Louie Armstrong style growl/sing, but I figured that would just be doing an imitation. To make the cover more my own, I decided to sing it pretty much in my own style and then use effects to roughen up my voice.

But I did get drunk before singing the vocals, which helped.

oh yeah.... BUMP! :D
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:32 pm

Dear God why have I never spent time in off-topic? That is one of my all-time top five favorite albums. I feel like a big chunk of life has passed me by while I sat there filling out a NAMBLA subscription form. I would have been so on that shit!
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com