Green Day confusion

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Green Day confusion

Post by flanneljammies » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:37 pm

So, I got the most recent Guitar Center catalog in the mail yesterday. Green Day are on the cover hamming it up with a birthday cake and a bass... My four-year-old looks at and exclaims: "Look, it's the Wiggles." I busted up.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Green Day confusion

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:43 pm

That's effing priceless!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:12 pm

I didn't even know Green Day existed past about 95. Is this their reunion tour?
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:17 pm

I didn't even know Green Day existed past about 95. Is this their reunion tour?
Hope I die before I get oldest!

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Actually, I just read somewhere that they're about to release a "punk concept record." Seven-minute songs. Overarching themes. The whole shebang.

I'm not shitting you.

Joe

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:29 pm

Awwww... let 'em have their hot topic.

Sis
-Hunter S. Thompson

xSALx
pushin' record

Post by xSALx » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:11 pm

Unfortunately, Green Day has two great albums, Dookie and Nimrod, so I wouldn't talkt too much shit. But their last two albums have been total crap. No one even knew when Shenanigans came out. But I wouldn't mind listening to this punk concept album thing, it actually sounds kind of cool. But NOFX did something like it with "The Decline". 25 minute long song, pretty good actually. But the whole concept album thing comes from Billy Joe Armstrong's love of the Who.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:43 am

Anyone who starts a song with "Do you have the time to listen to me whine" in a copped British punk accent isn't worth anything. One or the other are survivable but both...

Greenday are scat.

fuckface
steve albini likes it

Post by fuckface » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:47 am

i heard 'american idiot ' -their new single- on the radio and it sounds just like any other green day.........

not that i expected it to be different

poop

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:49 pm

sonichue wrote:Anyone who starts a song with "Do you have the time to listen to me whine" in a copped British punk accent isn't worth anything. One or the other are survivable but both...

Greenday are scat.
Ha! Couldn't agree more. I like to call them, and the slew of nth generation "punk" bands that came up around the same time, kiddie punk. I guess mall punk works too.

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:17 pm

I'm not a Green Day fan, But I feel I need to stand up for them a bit.

Nobody can argue they sold a shit load of records ripping off all our favorite bands from the 70s & 80's but these guys I will say have really earned their place.

Way back in the late 80's when these kids were really just kids, they could be always found in any given town in California any night of the week putting on a awesome show, usually for free, rocking the house for a bunch of their friends.
If you ever got to see them before MTV got a hold of them you might admitt they put on a really tight show.

just my flame starting rant.

P.S. I thought they got their look from the Wiggles. Now thats an awesome band. Saw 'em at the collusium in Oakland this year. Wow is all i can say.
I have some really horrible gear!!!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:22 pm

OneZero wrote:I'm not a Green Day fan, But I feel I need to stand up for them a bit.

Nobody can argue they sold a shit load of records ripping off all our favorite bands from the 70s & 80's but these guys I will say have really earned their place.

Way back in the late 80's when these kids were really just kids, they could be always found in any given town in California any night of the week putting on a awesome show, usually for free, rocking the house for a bunch of their friends.
If you ever got to see them before MTV got a hold of them you might admitt they put on a really tight show.

just my flame starting rant.

P.S. I thought they got their look from the Wiggles. Now thats an awesome band. Saw 'em at the collusium in Oakland this year. Wow is all i can say.
i agree..

i thought it was stupid when my friend stopped liking them when they hit the big time..though i do like the early years and dont care too much for the music after they got big..

littlebrothersclothes
pushin' record

Post by littlebrothersclothes » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:34 pm

I was doing a college radio show at the time they were still on Lookout! (Kerplunk-era), and it was obvious that they were going to be huge, because they were (by far) the number-one requested band by adolescent females. (Number-one by adolescent males: Slayer, dude!)

Doug

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:47 pm

Anyone else find it lame that the 'Day took the name of their B-Sides collection, Shenanigans, from the name of an EP by another Lookout Records band, Squirtgun?

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:33 am

sonichue wrote:Anyone who starts a song with "Do you have the time to listen to me whine" in a copped British punk accent isn't worth anything.
that guy needs to blow his nose.

And I don't have the time to listen to him whine.

The Wiggles though, that's hilarious!

Kiddie rock is good, but toddler rock is where the big money is anymore... You just have to keep going for a younger audience.
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios