The NFL (American Football)

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

The NFL (American Football)

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:13 am

I'm so proud of my Missouri post, I thought I'd try again.

I hate the NFL. Boring, pseudo sport played by specialized "humans," watched by NASCAR grad-students, waspy yalie-types, and a good many of the American obese. (Sweeping generalization are so great!)

I'm 37 and grew up in Minneapolis. I loved the Vikings when I was kid (maybe 4 failed super-bowl attempts have led to this feeling of mine?).

I can't watch a regular season football game now to save my life. I can maybe watch the 4th quarter of playoff game... maybe. It's... so... slow...

Chicago was my home for about 8 years, all the time I was amazed at the media coverage of a shitty team like the bears. It was Bears this and Bears that. The sports page would cover trainning camp for chrissakes! Now I'm in the DC area and it's pretty much the same for the poorly named "Redskins."

The NFL is mysteriously this country's largest professional team sport by about a million miles. Argh. The only thing that I like about it is when one of these stars quits early to pursue ganja and other activities (Robert Smith, Ricky Williams, Sanders, et al). All the fans and writers wring their hands into useless collections of sticks. I can only imagine how dreary it would be to actually play in the NFL. Surrounded my idiots in bad shorts all day. Taking drugs that give you breasts. Buying inane cars and never reading a book. It must be the ultimate "dumbing down" experience.

That's it. That's my useless rant today.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Re: The NFL (American Football)

Post by trashy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:06 am

What sports do you watch?

I actually like football. Quite abit.

I don't find the players, coaches, writers or fans to be any stupider than those of any other sport. I like baseball and soccer, and I follow almost every other sport. The only thing I won't watch is pro basketball... talk about boring!

I read books.

Football hasn't had an indie rock renaissance yet. Maybe that's what you're waiting for? Pavement was at one time rumored to be working on an album with a song for every NFL team, but it never happened. Both basketball and (to a lesser extent) baseball have plenty of kids in suede pumas checking them out, but you could be ahead of the hip curve by pretending to like the NFL right now.

Go browns.

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:22 am

Pssshhht. Football is for pussies! :P

College hockey - that's where it's at!

Sis
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:41 am

I love college football and pro baseball.
Everything else...ehhh...

The NBA, thats where the real suck is at....

Shabbadoo
pushin' record

Post by Shabbadoo » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:59 pm

I agree that there is quite a bit of messed up-ness about the whole NFL thing, but they're not dumb. Even the linemen have to know a lot of plays and subtle different blocking schemes. They may not know anything else but football, but they have to know it well, and it's complicated stuff really.

My dad was a college band director as a kid so I grew up going to football games as a result. I learned how to support the home team through good times and bad (mostly bad, it was TTU - just put that in for jca83) but it gave me a love of the game early on.

I was a fan as a kid, like many. I decided it was bullshit when I was an "angry young man" because when it's at it's worst it can be all about violence and drugs and thugs and egos and excess, and I'm not a fan of the players who I feel are bad reps of the league. But now I've become a fan again, beause I just can't help but love the game and the strategy and the strength and skill and trickery and passion and sportsmanship and all that stuff that the NFL is about when it's at it's best.

Plus, about 5 years ago a this baby blue team from Houston moved to our little ol' state and even though they went to Nashville instead of coming here, I see them as the home team, and have been folowing them ever since. Now around this time of year I get that little exited feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think "this could be the year they do it"

There's a lot of bullshit in NFL, but there's also courage and integrity and all that heroic stuff too. Just look at Steve McNair. I'm sorry, but seeing the way he plays through pain and is so determined and courageous, it chokes me up :cry:

Whoo hooo! - Go Titans!
<< [] > || ? >>
minivan studios

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:23 pm

sports=bad
music=good.

the end.
that devil bastard protools

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:22 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:Pssshhht. Football is for pussies! :P

Sis
Amen... I grew up the son of University of Minnesota professor. Season tickets for hockey for 35 years. That is serious fun.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:54 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:Pssshhht. Football is for pussies! :P

Sis
Go Wolverines!

sonikbliss
buyin' a studio

Post by sonikbliss » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:15 pm

I can understand why you hate football if the Minnesota Vikings are your home team. Yuck

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:25 pm

Check out a Rhodes Scholar's weekly take on the NFL. http://www.nfl.com/writers/easterbrook

Not all music is good.
Not all sports are bad.

Besides, I'm nothing without female pole vaulters.
http://www.vaultgirls.com/
http://www.tatiana.com.au/
I get satisfaction of three kinds. One is creating something, one is being paid for it and one is the feeling that I haven?t just been sitting on my ass all afternoon.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:26 pm

seeabove wrote:Check out a Rhodes Scholar's weekly take on the NFL. http://www.nfl.com/writers/easterbrook

Not all music is good.
Not all sports are bad.

Besides, I'm nothing without female pole vaulters.
http://www.vaultgirls.com/
http://www.tatiana.com.au/
well, then.
that devil bastard protools

swingdoc
tinnitus

Post by swingdoc » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:49 pm

Ahhhhhh...cant wait...

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'