pushin' record

Re: your last show.

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:30 pm

i'm digging all these stories.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:12 am

I actually just finished up playing at The VooDoo Lounge in San Francisco. It was pretty cool. One of those shows that while I was playing I was counging all these fuck ups. But when we were done everybody was still there and looked pretty into it.

Okay thats all not very exciting.

Justin

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:10 am

Last show was Monday. 2nd in a series of 4 Monday's the month of July here in sunny El Lay. Let's see, this time I didn't get as drunk, we had a slightly better vocal sound than the previous week, and the drummer was sick, but all went well. We even got offered a few more shows because of it.

The first show I was much drunker and my bass jack fell apart on the last song, so I "played" the static in rythym while the drummer and guitar cut it off neatly.

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:47 pm

Hmmm, I think our last show was at the Casbah like a year ago, but it was just a standard uneventful evening. The one before that (i think) was at the Makeout Room up in SF, and it was VERY memorable in a "why us?" sort of way. We drove up there to play a magazine release party for an ultra-hip, indie label/zine, but were mainly there because we were talking to the label about doing something, and they wanted to see us live. Anyhoo, as cool as the place is, it was a HORRIBLE place for a loud indie rock band. The soundman stood in front of us with a fucking sound level meter, and bitched at us through the entire set. The drums were too loud, the bass was too loud, the guitar was too loud... ayayay. I swear that when I play guitar at home through my lil' Squier 15 at 2 a.m. on the lowest audible level possible... its louder than we were that night.

So, the night ended with the band after us saying "Fuck You" to the soundman as they played at regular volume (until he shut em
down), and me drinking way too much PBR.:) Everyone (except the soundman) was very apologetic, and all was good.

Last "good" show was probably at the Surfside 7 in Fort Collins, CO... tiny stage, big fun.

-mark
I'm goin' to the store, anybody need anything?

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:24 pm

My last show was sunday night with Little Wings from San Luis Obispo and Bobby Birdman from Portland, at my house in rural Langley BC. We invited a bunch of friends, put up a few posters, and had a big barbeque on the porch followed by bands in the basement. Playing to a big pile of friends in your practice space with horses and cows around outside is absurdly fun. Our banjo player sat and played on the stairs next to his 3-year old son, I drank too much whiskey, Bobby was so good I had to turn up his laptop, and some of us in the band plus a few audience members ended up in Little Wings. The show then moved back to the porch where people traded off songs till 1:30. However, I was asleep by then because I had to get up in time to drive our drummer to catch the 7 am ferry to Victoria. Also, asleep from the whiskey.

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:28 pm

Man, THAT is what it's all about. Good stuff Jay.

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:50 pm

Hooooo yes it was sure fun. I'm super into this Bobby Birdman song right now so it was actually extra fun. We're gonna do another one before too long.
You know, mentioning whiskey + banjo makes us seem like an old country band! It's not... though I do like Gram Parsons and Willie Nelson. Um, just sayin'.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:51 pm

Last show I played was opening for OrangeTree (ex MU330 singer band), and the drummer for my band took the guitarist's wah-pedal, accidentally thinking it was mine. (Why someone takes a wah to a ska show is beyond me, by the way.)

So, Orange Tree guitarist dude, I have your wah, by mistake. Sorry :oops:

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:03 pm

Jay wrote:I'm super into this Bobby Birdman song right now so it was actually extra fun.
I knew Bobby Birdman rang a bell, but I just realized where I'd heard it. My bass player does reviews for a few zines, and I guess he got a birdman CD sent to him. I remember liking it A LOT when I heard it (on tour, drunk at like 4 a.m.). I think we were pulled into a rest stop about to crash when he played it. Very nice.:)

phat-ass
ass engineer

Post by phat-ass » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:24 pm

Last show was here in Lincoln playing with Shesus. They rocked pretty hard. That singer knows how to put on a show. We weren't that bad. Probably the best set we've had yet. Tomorrow it's a show with Victoria Williams and Marc Olson. I'm terrified.

phat

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:00 pm

My most recent gig was last Saturday at Cal's in Chicago, a Bike (messenger) bar. Cool place. The owner is really nice and plays great tunes while you are setting up (Butchies, 7-year Bitch, John Cale, etc.)

Last time we played there it was so packed we had trouble getting our gear together and I had to set up behind the bar. This time there were about 14 people and 4 of them came for us. There were two more bands on the bill. Slum City from Texas was the headliner.

We had to do the unforgiveable and leave after our set because two band mates had to work. I hate doing that. I try to stay and check out what is going on. Especially when the only people there (minus the bartenders and your 4 friends) are the other bands.

Next gig: Springfield Illinois, in a building they call "The penis on the prairie." It is the only high-rise in Spfld. It has a flared top, and there is a two-lobed circular parking garage at its base. I shit you not.

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:46 pm

haha penis on the prairie.

playing behind the bar....a good way to get some extra drink.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:58 pm

Let's see, last show we played, or last show we showed up at intending to play?

Last show played: 2 gigs in one day in Seattle, at the Fremont Fest in the afternoon and at TOST in the evening. Our first trip to Seattle, went over well, had lots of fun.

Last show: We were asked at the last minute to play at a gallery opening in Portland. I won't name the gallery or other bands. We were supposed to play at 11. There's a poetry slam going on as well as 3 bands and more. Missed the first band, sat through some really bad poetry while the 2nd band takes a million years to set up (keyboards, computer, guitar, vocals). They play, it's nice. They finish at about midnight. Instead of tearing down, they show 2 really pretentious (and long) artsy videos. Plus more poetry. Band tears down, it's after 1 in the morning, we go to the cars to get our stuff, get back to find another band setting up, and it's the guy who organized the gig is in this band. Try to convince them to let us play first (we had to drive about 80-120 miles to get to the gig), but was told, "we have a scheme", and these guys just HAD to play their set then. No way would we be on before like 2:30 am, I went semi ballistic on the artsy little fuckhead organising the gig, and we left. Fun!

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:47 pm

oye, that would be lame. where did you drive from?

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:13 pm

Been playing bass and lap steel for Chris Lee on an all Misra (label) tour with Summer Hymns (a really great psychpopsomethingorother band from Athens GA) and Will Johnson (an amazing singer, guitarist and songwriter from Denton TX who leads Centro-Matic). I did 6 dates last week, ending with a show in Chapel Hill attended by about 10 people including, as fate would have it, an ex-girlfriend of mine :shock: who I haven't talked to or seen since the nasty "fuck you" phone message I left her about 8 years ago and who surely would not have attended had she known I was going to be there. Jeeezus - I thought all that kind of shit would've ended now that I've been married for 6 years!! :crazy: Best show on a Monday night at The Social in Orlando, sparsely attended also but great because the club is killer. Sound was amazing and the people were really nice. We ate watermelon after the show.

This week I'm hopping back on the tour on Thursday and doing Chicago (Schuba's), St. Louis (Off Broadway), Norman OK (The Opolis), Denton TX (Dan's Silverleaf), and Austin (The Carousel Lounge) Come say hello and hear some damned fine music by my friends. Also you don't want to miss Summer Hymns' cover of "Eye in the Sky" by the Alan Parsons Project...