Brian Wilson's SMiLE cover and whatnot

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Brian Wilson's SMiLE cover and whatnot

Post by spectralgrey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:00 am

Has anyone else seen the cover art for SMiLE? Looks like clip art pieced together in an awful greeting card program. Probably the most anticipated record ever, and this is the best packaging they could put it in?!

If you haven't seen it, go here:
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/index.html
and click on "view album cover"

at least the music will be good. right? right?!?!

I just bought some pricey tickets to see Brian Wilson in Madison on October 1st, so it had better be good.

Kyle Motor
takin' a dinner break

Re: Brian Wilson's SMiLE cover and whatnot

Post by Kyle Motor » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:14 am

They should've just used the original cover art.

How much did those tickets run you? I'm in Madison and I'm thinking about going to that, but I just bought a 1/2" 8 track and I'm poor for awhile.

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:07 am

Well, I can tell you that Smile was amazing live. Ok, his voice isn't what it used to be, but if you're a fan and you know a bit about what Smile was supposed to be, you won't be disappointed. I saw it in London, one of the first shows. It was in no way a let down. I'd built it up so much in my mind and still I was blown away.

I was prepared for the cover to be terrible after what you guys said, but it's not too bad. Well, it could be worse, right? It vaguely sticks to the feel of the original 1967 cover (i.e. corny). Could probably do with a bit more going on though....
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

HypCo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by HypCo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:31 am

Probably the most anticipated record ever, and this is the best packaging they could put it in?!
Isn't that pushing things just a bit? A modern recording of Brian doing the Smile stuff sounds interesting and hopefully very cool, but "most anticipated record ever"? I'm a big fan, but his modern stuff to me is tinged with a bit of sadness of what was.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:36 am

Smile is really good; I'm assuming this is the stuff that was recorded back in the day, right? Not re-recorded now? I've heard most of the stuff (there's different track listings and stuff out there, I think I've heard the double album version with Surf's Up. That song rules.)
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

HypCo

Post by HypCo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:40 am

No, a newly recorded studio version. VD Parks helped out which is cool and just.

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/press_releases.html

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:49 am

They shoulda gotten an actual storefront and then recreated the original cover drawing as an actual photograph of an actual store -- Smile made real etc. That would have been really cool.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:27 am

coniferouspine wrote:
They shoulda gotten an actual storefront and then recreated the original cover drawing as an actual photograph of an actual store -- Smile made real etc. That would have been really cool.
WOW :shock:

that is a great idea..or would have been

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:26 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:How much did those tickets run you? I'm in Madison and I'm thinking about going to that, but I just bought a 1/2" 8 track and I'm poor for awhile.
I'll trade you my tickets for the 8 track. Deal?

My tickets were $50 each for row R, and I guess the price range is $40-$100. I've never been to Overture Hall, but it looks like a small venue. The kind of place where there aren't really any bad seats.
Isn't that pushing things just a bit? A modern recording of Brian doing the Smile stuff sounds interesting and hopefully very cool, but "most anticipated record ever"? I'm a big fan, but his modern stuff to me is tinged with a bit of sadness of what was.
I haven't really heard any remnants of the album except Smiley Smile, so I'm anticipating it a lot. The most famous record that never was is finally being released in an official form, so it seems pretty major. Now we just need Kevin Shields to finish that My Bloody Valentine record.

HypCo

Post by HypCo » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:47 pm

A lot of the stuff ended up seeing the light of day on Smiley Smile, 20/20, Surfs Up and the box set. Not to mention the bootleg material that is out there. If they could put together the original tapes with Brians guidance to deliver Smile that would be amazing.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:01 pm

What the hell??? That cover is cool! For an artist with a history of bad album covers, that definitely ranks up there as one of the best. Remember "The Beach Boys Love You"? Ha ha!!!
HypnotistCollector wrote:A lot of the stuff ended up seeing the light of day on Smiley Smile, 20/20, Surfs Up and the box set. Not to mention the bootleg material that is out there. If they could put together the original tapes with Brians guidance to deliver Smile that would be amazing.
Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen. There's much argument about what constituted SMiLE, and I'm not really sure if at this point Brian even knows. Plus, not everything was finished and/or saved.

There's lots of places to get the songs, though. The best collection was done by Ryan Guidry, but he closed his site down. This one is pretty good, and almost exactly like Adam's collection:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/oboe/210/id21.htm