The worst decade ever?

foley
pushin' record

The worst decade ever?

Post by foley » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:02 pm

So I am almost convinced that the last four years are the start of the worst decade ever. After figuring Bush will probably win the white house again, and watching the Video Music Awards, it seems that this decade is destined to be mocked and ridiculed years from now - similar to how we treat the 70s - disco, Nixon, Vietnam, the Ford Pinto - who would ever want to replay that era?

Of course I also know that this is a great time to be alive - that there is fantastic music being made, and the spirit of political dissent is vibrant. But still, when I see Usher singing those shitty-ass songs, and watch Bush lie to us to secure four more years, it makes me wonder if this might not just be the worst decade ever.

Maybe I need a joint?

Tim Casey
pushin' record

Re: The worst decade ever?

Post by Tim Casey » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:45 pm

Agreed. Nothing more can be said, except that this doesn't feel like a low point in the cycle. It feels like an ending.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:02 pm

foley wrote:Maybe I need a joint?
Couldn't hurt. 8)

Gunfuck
pluggin' in mics

Post by Gunfuck » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:48 pm

Worst decade ever, yeah I agree. But let me tag on few more things:

-the third world are slaves to the first
-our natural resources are almost all used up
-OIL OIL OIL
-There are camera's everywhere
-I'm not so sure we will be looking back at the decade, especially after the Furor is "RE-ELECTED"

***I try to work
I keep thinking of world war three
I try to talk to girls
I keep thinking of world war three
The god damn six o?clock news makes sure I keep thinking about world war three

I?ve got a mile of numbers and a ton of stats
The warheads, a million Chinese warheads

I don?t worry about crime anymore
So many god damn scared faces
I keep thinking of Russia Russia***
Put your socks on....this ain't no pillow fight!!

LTA
gettin' sounds

Post by LTA » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:38 pm

Gunfuck wrote:-I'm not so sure we will be looking back at the decade, especially after the Furor is "RE-ELECTED"
Even though furor doesn't mean what you think it means, it is funny that you mispelled it that way. "A fashion adopted enthusiastically by the public; a fad." Really defines your vast expanses of knowledge concerning the final point in that sentence.

2004 is a little early to write off the decade. We aren't even halfway through it yet.

But since you brought it up, i bet maybe 1933-1945 was a worse decade (and then some). This whole iraq/afghanistan/terrorist/saddam thing is (hopefully) a drop in the ocean compared to WWII. I would almost think that more Americans died due to obesity and smoking related health issues plus car accidents than iraqis and americans combined in this current action, during the same time frame. Even american obesity-related deaths alone probably are higher than the civilian and military deaths in iraq. So, if you are worried about innocent people dying, fat people are a bigger source of premature termination than the current iraq war. Just as an educated guess, i bet it is 250,000 to 14,000. The McDonalds lifestyle has killed and will continue to kill far more people than this little gun battle in the desert, especially because nobody is doing anything to "combat" it.

Hell, we'd probably kill more iraqis over time by putting up a golden arches, starbucks, and a walmart in every city and town than we would by shooting at them. No offense meant towards McDonalds and Starbucks, of course.

(Don't even get me started by the current wave of glorification of "cosmetic surgery" that has sprung up on US television. Barf. Wait, sorry for offending those with eating disorders. If you spent even 30 hardcore minutes at the gym 3 days a week, you wouldn't have to worry about it as much. Walk or ride your bike a few miles to work instead of hopping in your car and even the gym might not be necessary. Oil + Oil + Oil + single passenger commutes (+ sport utes) = paradox)

There are bigger issues out there than if you think Al Gore was actually elected president (which he wasn't, even if bush "wasn't" either).

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:46 pm

So, if you are worried about innocent people dying, fat people are a bigger source of premature termination than the current iraq war. Just as an educated guess, i bet it is 250,000 to 14,000. The McDonalds lifestyle has killed and will continue to kill far more people than this little gun battle in the desert, especially because nobody is doing anything to "combat" it.

Hell, we'd probably kill more iraqis over time by putting up a golden arches, starbucks, and a walmart in every city and town than we would by shooting at them. No offense meant towards McDonalds and Starbucks, of course.
This is brilliant. Obesity, high-blood pressure and type 2 diabetes is the real killer that no one talks about. And it's all self-inflicted. Fat fuckin', hi-fructose corn syrup eating, trans fat consuming, super-sized Americans.

I just watched Bill Maher on Larry King and he said something that made me feel better, in a sad way. Maher, who agrees with me that Bush is a dunce, said that maybe it would be better if Bush won the election - and then be held accountable through the coming years, regarding that abomination in Iraq. Right now, about a half-dozen cities (and growing) are out of our control.

"Bush has always had other people clean up his mess," says Maher. "They did it with his oil company (which he put out of business) and with his baseball team (which traded Sammy Sosa)

Why should Kerry have to clean up Bush's mess? This is the only thing that I take comfort with. Maybe a few thousand more mothers, after losing their sons, will realize what they got. The people get the kind of government that they deserve. I think I can make peace with that. :cry:

Gunfuck
pluggin' in mics

Post by Gunfuck » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:49 pm

I completely agree with you on the whole fat ass golden archesand thanks for the meaning of the word. But fuck off about about the spelling it's late and my brains have been fried all day long. :D
Put your socks on....this ain't no pillow fight!!

Mark67
gettin' sounds

Post by Mark67 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:11 am

TrumpsHair wrote:I just watched Bill Maher on Larry King and he said something that made me feel better, in a sad way. Maher, who agrees with me that Bush is a dunce, said that maybe it would be better if Bush won the election - and then be held accountable through the coming years, regarding that abomination in Iraq. Right now, about a half-dozen cities (and growing) are out of our control.

"Bush has always had other people clean up his mess," says Maher. "They did it with his oil company (which he put out of business) and with his baseball team (which traded Sammy Sosa)

Why should Kerry have to clean up Bush's mess? This is the only thing that I take comfort with. Maybe a few thousand more mothers, after losing their sons, will realize what they got. The people get the kind of government that they deserve. I think I can make peace with that. :cry:
Trumps, it's a cynical point of view, but one I think I share. As if Reagan wasn't phony enough, in Bush we have a faux Reagan and all the specious thinking that comes with their supporters. 4 more years of Bush will do more damage to the so-called conservative movement than the best democratic candidate could. It practically guarantees a democrat in '08. My hope is the American people will tire of pop conservatism after seeing how messed up and divisive Bush and the GOP Congress makes things.

Then again, with Kerry in there we might stave off further damage to our international relationships and have someone who knows HOW to clean up in Iraq.
"Nutz are cracked, buttz are whacked and somewhere in the middle of all this soapin' and gropin' comes a little thing called "MUSIC."

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:34 am

4 more years of Bush will do more damage to the so-called conservative movement than the best democratic candidate could. It practically guarantees a democrat in '08
Irony of ironies, suppose we make it to '08 under Bush, and the world 'somehow' surives him for four more years. Who's on deck for us? Hillary? Edwards?

No matter who we put out there, either McCain or Guiliani will likely beat them - UNLESS - we make a minor adjustment to the Consititution and allow ol' Bill to run again.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:03 pm

i like the 70s... the art and the music... the graphic design... the books and clothes... some cool stuff from back then. when i think 70s, i don't think the things you just listed (disco, nixon, whatever). i think every decade will have its great moments and achievements dispite political happenings. think about all the technological advancements to come, all the events and happenings, all the new music and films to be made, all the art. every decade will have great stuff, every year even. i may be naive, but to me every day is full of greatness around me. to think just because of some president that all would be ruined is silly to me... i know 20 years from now i will probably look back at the 2000's and laugh, but also think of all the cool things that happened too.

LTA
gettin' sounds

Post by LTA » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:41 pm

TrumpsHair wrote:Fat fuckin', hi-fructose corn syrup eating, trans fat consuming, super-sized Americans.
If only we could get our cars to run on sugar. A good chunk of the USA's prime farmland is getting paved over every year to make more houses and shopping malls, so who knows how long the ethanol dream might be a possibility. It is fairly rare to meet a democratic farmer (especially one that doesn't routinely have his anhydrous tanks "stolen" every year).

"A democracy is always ?temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a
permanent form of ?government. A democracy will continue to exist up
until the time that ?voters discover that they can vote themselves
generous gifts from the public ?treasury. From that moment on, the
majority always votes for the ?candidates who promise the most benefits
from the public treasury, with the ?result that every democracy will
finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, ?(which is) always followed
by a dictatorship. - Alexander Tyler, 1787"

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:52 pm

speak for youselves hoes.

In this decade I have:

Got my drives lisence
Moved out of my dads house
Landed a cool job
played in a band
lived with a girl that I am not related to.

BEST DECADE EVER.
Last edited by Rick Hunter on Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:52 pm

LTA, great stuff!..

The worst decade ever?

Depends on who you ask..

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:01 pm

Decades suck.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:05 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:speak for youselves hoes.

In this decade I have:

Got my drives lisence
Moved out of my dads house
Landed a cool job
played in a band
lived with a girl that I am not related to.

BEST DECADE EVER.

Be careful, in that same decade you may

1. Get pulled over for possibly being a 'terra-ist' and have that license revoked (they checked your library records and see you once checked out a copy of the anarchists cookbook...).
2. you'll be movin' back in soon after you..
3. lose your job because the economy is in the fuckin' hole
4. good by to that band playing anywhere when no one has discretionary income. maybe you can rawk out as backup for john asscroft?
5. at least your right to marry that girl will be upheld with another attempt at constitutionally banning gay marriage.

ha ha rick - i know you're just kidding.

too bad i'm not.
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson