Beer Suggestions

zarcharius
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Beer Suggestions

Post by zarcharius » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:50 am

I just tried the Ithaca brewery stuff, a friend is a grad student there and he came home with a samlper 12 pack. That was some good beer, but I don't feel right drinking anything called "Flower Power Pale Ale." I ain't no damn hippy.
Before feast there must be famine.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:49 am

I forgot to add one that definitely deserves its place amongst North America's best beers: Vermont's Long Trail Ale. Great brewery, and their Double Bag Ale is especially good.
Now that I've moved to the midwest, I'm really missing the micropubs on the east coast. I'd give my right nut for a Smuttynose Old Brown Dog these days.

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Post by Isolation » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:52 am

mjau wrote:Double Bag Ale
i swear to god that i misread that as Douche Bag Ale, thank the patron saint of assorted lunchmeats for the ability to do a double take when needed...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:40 pm

Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Its the best, and i drink it all the time and never get a hangover!!
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:18 am

I gotta chime back in with three more I had this week:

Snowplow (or maybe Snowplough--I'm not sure). It's a milk stout. It's really terrific. Not as coffee-like as Murphy's, Guiness, or Dragon, but still rich and flavorful. I had it at a bar in Boudler, Colorado. I found out a few days later that this was made by Budweiser, but I'm still in denial. It's pretty hard to believe, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

Also, Never Summer Ale, which I had at the Monarch Ski Lift. Sort of dry and dark, but not terribly filling. Really nice.

Also at Monarch, I tried the Isolation Ale, which was quite good. A little more "hops" tasting than the Never Summer.

I believe the last two are Colorado regional beers.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:46 am

When I lived in DC I was really into Dominion Ale. I dunno if it's still available. Pilsner Urquel or any beer I dump Wild Turkey into are my favorites. I was, against my better judgement, romanced by PBR on my last trip to the mainland. fucking tape op ads worked.

dolphin quest
audio school

Post by dolphin quest » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:01 am

Delirium

Chimay (red label)

Anything from Bells

CKD
audio school graduate

Post by CKD » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:45 pm

Anything from Bell's is the greatest, esp. Two-Hearted Ale...super strong but sneaky about it. Anchor Steam is pretty good too.

For you Pilsner Urquell lovers, Staropramen is pretty easy to find too, and just as good, a little different, though, for when you're bored.

But Budvar from the tap in a bar in Prague...that can change your life. In a "I know it's a cliche but it's so good I don't even care" kind of way.
"I could talk talk talk talk talk myself to death
But I believe I would only waste my breath"

Stephen B.
gettin' sounds

Post by Stephen B. » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:10 pm

ooooh, I have some...

Pretty much anything by Avery (which is in Colorado) - Try The Reverend, Salvation, Ellie's Brown, Ten, or, if you think you're ready for it, The Beast.

I'll second (or third) the Rogue Shakespeare stout.

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale - it is by that Chef Morimotu guy; one of my all time favorites

I like the Chimays - blue, red, or white

Corsendonk - another Belgian, they have a pale and a brown ale, both delicious

I really like this time of year for the seasonals. You're probably going to laugh at me, but don't knock it 'till you try it: Shiner Winter Ale. Don't think Bock, that stuff is nasty. Also Anchor's yearly "Our Special Ale" is really great.

I've always wanted to try some of Brooklyn Brewing Company's beers, but since TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) sux, you can't get it down here.
"Badness is only spoiled goodness."

C.S. Lewis