so... i'm not gonna vote.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: so... i'm not gonna vote.

Post by ubertar » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:02 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:
ubertar wrote:Sis, I know it's a metaphor. But to say "it speaks volumes" means it tells you something, that some information is being conveyed. I don't think that people not voting is something that can be clearly interpreted.
Well, I guess we could split pubes all day long. Let's just say that you're wrong and I'm right. :lol:

Just kidding. Seriously, in the overall grand scheme of things I can report at least one fact, though empirical, about the American electoral system: there are at least 85 million people (that's a third of the population) who are, for whatever reason, disengaged from the political process. I hawe at times been one of them. I know there are 85 million reasons, but I have to believe that a big part of the reason is that when faced with the choice of a baseball bat to the head or being forced to eat a nice steaming plate of poo, most folks would chose "none of the above." Unless we are talkign about 85 million GG Allin's, of course. By the way, that's the language I want to see on the ballot. Talk about getting out the vote! Think of it as the ultimate vote of no confidence.

SMH

Well, maybe you're right. I'd be curious to see if adding "none of the above" to the ballot would have any effect on voter turnout. My gut tells me if there would be an effect, it would not be significant. Apparently your gut tells you otherwise. So be it.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:33 pm

ubes wrote:Apparently your gut tells you otherwise. So be it.
Man fuck you. :lol:

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:15 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:
ubes wrote:Apparently your gut tells you otherwise. So be it.
Man fuck you. :lol:

SMH
My gut says "tacos" and "beer". does that speak volumes or what? :)
beware bee wear

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:49 pm

My gut says...
pudding.

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:07 pm

schnozzle wrote:My gut says...
pudding.
I thought it said HARDCORE PANTS!
beware bee wear

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:11 am

joeysimms wrote:
pudding.
That's it. There's my write in!

I even have some great campaign slogans:

PANTS '04 - WHO COULD ASK FOR MORE?

PANTS '04 - MY RUNNING MATE'S AL GORE!

PANTS '04 - I FUCKED DINAH SHORE!

PANTS '04 - YOU CAN BUY ME AT THE STORE!

PANTS '04 - I WON'T LEAD THE COUNTRY INTO A FRAUDULENT WAR!

Yeah, I gotta go now...

There's a knock at the door. :lol:

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

joeysimms

Post by joeysimms » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:57 am

I wonder who it's for?
beware bee wear

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:19 pm

Yippee! It's my mail-order whore!
-Hunter S. Thompson

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:37 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:Yippee! It's my mail-order whore!
nice score.
that devil bastard protools

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:15 pm

Oh... it's Tipper Gore. :kotzen:
-Hunter S. Thompson

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:37 am

joeysimms wrote:
pudding.

Hard. Core. Pants.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:07 pm

so someone made a good point to me the other day-- when knowing what your state is going to go to, is there much of a reason to vote? in other words-- say I don't vote for bush. Say I do. We all know Texas is going to go to Bush, so why would it matter? I will be involved in my local politics of course, but still why would it matter at a presidential level as the winner take all system can pretty much already declare bush the winner of texas (just as kerry is probably the winner of CA and NY, etc)...?

just wondering...

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:20 pm

wing wrote:We all know Texas is going to go to Bush, so why would it matter?
because maybe 85% of the citizens will eel that way and the democrats can steal the state :P

Seriously tho, it is a bogus part of the electoral college. That's why some are watching Colorado's legislation....it would divy up the electoral votes from the state proportionally according to the popular vote of the state. So The Loser would still get some votes..not winner take all. If that passes, and affects the election, expect a lawsuit to overturn it...to the Supreme court, which will once again decide the outcome.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:36 pm

joeysimms wrote:
dirty wrote:Actually, no. A vote for him is a vote for Bush...
No it's not. A vote for nader is a vote for nader. you jump me for saying there's little difference between the dems and pubs, yet you troll this shit out.. Look: 100 million people in this country did not vote last election. Nader got less than 3 million votes. GoreBush got 50 mil each. Of Naders 3 mil, how many do you think were from registered dems vs. registered pubs?
If you think about it, Ralph really isn't running FOR anything, as much as he's running AGAINST the 2 party system.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:54 pm

schnozzle wrote:
syrupcore wrote:Yes, I mean joe republican and jane democrat. the Heritage Foundation and similar orgs are the architects of divde and conquer strategies. make sure we're split on a few key issues (abortion, capital punishment...) and you've got yourself an army - and an enemy. Where can a pro-choice/anti-abortion voter go? gotta pick a side.
Will, can you clarify, I guess I'm not following you. Are you saying that you feel there's no difference between AVERAGE democrats and republicans, but that it's the Neocons that are creating the differences between the two parties at the moment?
Yes about the average party members: same goals, different implementation strategies. As far as orgs, not just the neocons but the neolibs (can I coin that?) as well. Moveon.org and the like are dividing as well. Put your matches away, I've forwarded a few moveon requests as well but they are very much a neoliberal org that's in the business of partisan troop rallying.

Will