Jandek Revealed?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Jandek Revealed?

Post by wing » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:16 pm

What the? Someone posted this on a local music messageboard: http://members.boardhost.com/hands_up/msg/126307.html

I refuse to believe it... why would he break the mystery like that after so many years?

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Re: Jandek Revealed?

Post by bedbug » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:46 pm

He's on the left playing bass
That's not him playing bass, but the guitar player does look a little bit like him.

Jandek's real name is most likely Sterling Smith. Google searches turn up conspicuous listings for a higher up exec for the Dave and Busters Corporation, oddly enough based out of Texas. The one published Jandek interview does mention him having a corporate job, and that being one of the reasons for his identity being secret.

As for the 'dek making a public appearance, there's been speculation about clues dropped in songs that his current album will be his last. That could have something to do with him "revealing" himself, but I still doubt it.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:59 pm

i actually thought the drummer looked the most like him, from the album covers we've all seen (and speculated that being him)

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:59 pm

Check out the news section on this page
http://www.tisue.net/jandek/

p.s. I thought the drummer looked like him too, but keep in mind those pictures from the album covers are like 20 years old.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:01 pm

well i guess it may be true: http://tisue.net/jandek/ (see the latest news posting)

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:02 pm

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:06 pm

wing wrote:well i guess it may be true: http://tisue.net/jandek/ (see the latest news posting)
I think it's safe to say everything on the Internet is true.

jca83
carpal tunnel

Post by jca83 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:08 pm

oh geez. i just googled for sterling r. smith. the dude's loaded! :) and wow. playing live. i'm shocked..... what does all this mean?!?!
that devil bastard protools

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:31 pm

jca83 wrote:oh geez. i just googled for sterling r. smith. the dude's loaded! :) and wow. playing live. i'm shocked..... what does all this mean?!?!
Well, I'm not really sure it's the same guy. But how many Sterling Smiths can there be? And Dave and Busters is a Texas based company. Whoever Jandek is he would have to be fairly well off to keep putting out all those records and never make money off them.

As for the show, thanks for posting this Wing. I can't believe it. It's like finding out who deepthroat is. Anything that screws with the hardcore fans is pretty cool.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:34 pm

bedbug wrote:
wing wrote:well i guess it may be true: http://tisue.net/jandek/ (see the latest news posting)
I think it's safe to say everything on the Internet is true.
well, hence the reason i used the word 'may', as in there is a possibility.

i still have a hard time believing it... kinda like how on the internet andy kaufman supposedly came back a few months ago... which was absurd.

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:57 am

Thanks for posting this. I love stuff like this. I love the guy's music too, seriously and truly. But the idea that people are going to be chatting on various messageboards about this mysterious public appearance just cracks me up. Did anyone see the Jandek movie? The "talking heads" aspect of it just had me in stitches. All these people theorizing endlessly about the personal life and characteristics of a person they know nothing about and have only heard through records. One magazine writer was basically saying "well, I believe he is mentally unbalanced because he's never sought a wider acceptance for his music". How the hell do you know? But that's what's fun. :lol:

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:18 am

awolski wrote:Thanks for posting this. I love stuff like this. I love the guy's music too, seriously and truly. But the idea that people are going to be chatting on various messageboards about this mysterious public appearance just cracks me up. Did anyone see the Jandek movie? The "talking heads" aspect of it just had me in stitches. All these people theorizing endlessly about the personal life and characteristics of a person they know nothing about and have only heard through records. One magazine writer was basically saying "well, I believe he is mentally unbalanced because he's never sought a wider acceptance for his music". How the hell do you know? But that's what's fun. :lol:
they should have hired a psychic for that movie like detectives do in murder cases..that would have been golden..

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:43 am

awolski wrote:One magazine writer was basically saying "well, I believe he is mentally unbalanced because he's never sought a wider acceptance for his music". How the hell do you know? But that's what's fun. :lol:
On that criterion, I'm a fucking PSYCHO!!!!!

Rah...rah, I say.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

awolski
buyin' gear

Post by awolski » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:37 am

Heh heh. I want to hear your stuff now. Better yet, I want to COLLECT it. Must...have...every...recording...of...obscure...guy.

The writer actually continued on too...I wish I could remember the publication because it's relatively high profile. He continued on (and I continue to paraphrase based on memory) "He wants to reach out to others, but he can't figure out how to bridge the gap. His entire work is a document of his attempts to communicate with the outside world but he never quite succeeds". I was just flabbergasted at the faulty logic on display, but I guess that's where rabid fandom can lead someone.

Part of the movie talks about how Jandek put out an album with a picture of an Irish cathedral on the cover and within days fans had identified it and the internet was abuzz about Jandek's "mysterious trip to Europe" :roll:

A psychic would've been great: "I can see...a room. With...some drapes covering a window. And...a drum kit. Or is it a guitar?"

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:40 am

I'd like to see Jandek
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas