wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

KRS-ONE loses right to complain

Post by wayne kerr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:34 am

From Arizona Central

Rapper: Some Blacks 'cheered when 9-11 happened'

Knight Ridder Newspapers
Oct. 14, 2004 03:08 PM

If Osama bin Laden ever buys a rap album, he'll probably start with a CD by KRS-One.

The hip-hop anarchist has declared his solidarity with al-Qaida by asserting that he and other African-Americans "cheered when 9-11 happened," reports the New York Daily News.

The rapper, real name Kris Parker, defiled the memory of those who died in the terrorist attacks as he spouted off at a recent New Yorker Festival panel discussion.

"I say that proudly," the Boogie Down Productions founder went on, insisting that, before the attack, security guards kept Blacks out of the World Trade Center "because of the way we talk and dress.

"So when the planes hit the building, we were like, 'Mmmm - justice.' "

The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."

Parker also sneered at efforts by other rappers to get young people to vote.

"Voting in a corrupt society adds more corruption," he added. "America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."

--

If you don't vote, you can't complain, right?

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: KRS-ONE loses right to complain

Post by bobbydj » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:39 am

My dad never votes - but he complains like a bastard. I ask why he doesn't vote? He says because they're all a bunch of wankers. How can he vote if no one represents what he believes?? That's his angle. I don't have an answer for that.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:58 am

Because a democracy is a compromise! Unless you are a rediculous single issue voter there is not likely to be one person who you will agree with 100% on policy. You pick who most closely matches what you would like. I don't get why it's such a hard concept for people to not be 100% right but "right" to a varying degree and to pick who is more "right" for you.

Instead of picking a leader look at it as filling a position at a job. You pick who i most qualified and who will best fill the position. This is a critical position and someone has to be there so you pick the best man out of the candidates.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:31 am

wow krs used to be cool too. now he's just a self centered asshole it seems

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:38 am

Sad... What's also sad is that this is an article that appeared in a paper:

"The rapper, real name Kris Parker, defiled the memory of those who died in the terrorist attacks as he spouted off at a recent New Yorker Festival panel discussion"

Where do people learn to be journalists these days?
Last edited by comfortstarr on Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:42 am

sissy_hankshaw wrote:The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."
Wow. I always knew KRS-1 was an idiot, but damn.

Let's forget about all the poor blue-collar schmucks who died in the towers for a second (like the radio engineer on top of tower 2, the waitstaff at Window On The World, the cops & firemen, etc) and consider the phenomena of fecal gravity.
That's right folks- shit runs downhill. Shit like the Patriot act, the erosion of civil liberty, the war in Iraq, and the fact that this country is fast becoming a police state. That's not just happening to rich people. Guess who's gonna get drafted to go to Iraq and fix Gerogie's boo-boo if he gets elected in November? Not rich people. Po folks. Hip hoppers. When you're up to your ass in sand and dodging mortar shells, you're gonna wish you'd voted.
Steve Albini used to like it

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:59 am

someone tell KRS-1 to move out of America if he thinks it sucks that bad and we deserve 9/11

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:00 am

word

lutopia
pushin' record

Post by lutopia » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:11 am

lobstman wrote:
sissy_hankshaw wrote:The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."
Wow. I always knew KRS-1 was an idiot, but damn.

Let's forget about all the poor blue-collar schmucks who died in the towers for a second (like the radio engineer on top of tower 2, the waitstaff at Window On The World, the cops & firemen, etc) and consider the phenomena of fecal gravity.
That's right folks- shit runs downhill. Shit like the Patriot act, the erosion of civil liberty, the war in Iraq, and the fact that this country is fast becoming a police state. That's not just happening to rich people. Guess who's gonna get drafted to go to Iraq and fix Gerogie's boo-boo if he gets elected in November? Not rich people. Po folks. Hip hoppers. When you're up to your ass in sand and dodging mortar shells, you're gonna wish you'd voted.
"the phenomena of fecal gravity", i love it! But the stuff about the police state and the draft, that's hyperbole right? To illustrate your point? :?:
lfg

bad_dude_69
re-cappin' neve

Post by bad_dude_69 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:47 am

KRS-ONE wrote:"America has to commit suicide if the world is to be a better place."
On the contrary, KRS-ONE has to commit suicide if America is to be a better place.
medicate? oh, i thought you said "meditate."

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:49 am

KRS-One wrote: The atrocity of 9-11 "doesn't affect us the hip-hop community," he said. "9-11 happened to them, not us," he added, explaining that by "them" he meant "the rich ... those who are oppressing us. RCA or BMG, Universal, the radio stations."
I may be mistaken, but weren't many of the uppy-up fatcats elsewhere when the attack happened?

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am

Well, the World Towers housed the financial branches of many banks (ie, the part that moves money around within the bank, not the teller branches). Probably a few vice presidents and CEOs, if you want to call them "uppy up fatcats."

But bankers are working stiffs, too, IMO. KRS-1 may feel a a banker's priorities and worldview are out of whack, but does that really mean he supports them being killed?

By Islamic fundamentalists?

What the hell?

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:59 am

Damn that radio song, hey hey hey.
Werd.

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:01 pm

Wow. I don't think I've seen a rapper shoot himself in the foot that idiotically and self-destruct this badly in the media since the days of Professsor Griff.
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:24 pm

I'm not saying anyone deserves be killed..or the tragic events of 911 were just..but KRS has the right to think anything he wants and to publicly express it..Our country has done its fair share of killing, often slow and torturous via depleted uranium artillery, food and supply embargos, assassinations, wars, etc. etc. etc.

We lack the common sense to see the real deal,
That we ain't nothing but crumbs in a pimp's meal.
Cause to them the war is just another business,
Rich folks don't give a damn, which side wins this.

Yeah, "Nigger",
Rememba that when ya squeezing the trigger,
A title,
The name that America gives ya,
Not the Arab,
They didn't play that,
Uncle Sam is the man that say that.

check out KRS's human education against lies :

http://www.graffiti.org/ups/heal/