Whoops! (a.k.a. Milli Simpson)

markpar
george martin

Whoops! (a.k.a. Milli Simpson)

Post by markpar » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:50 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6322824/

I never saw the Elvis Costello thing they mention at the end. Can anyone clue me in on what that was about?

-mark

maz
buyin' a studio

Re: Whoops! (a.k.a. Milli Simpson)

Post by maz » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:54 pm

idylldon
pushin' record

Post by idylldon » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:00 pm

markpar wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6322824/

I never saw the Elvis Costello thing they mention at the end. Can anyone clue me in on what that was about?

-mark
As someone so eloquently put on another board, the Elvis thing "wasn't a fuck up, it was a 'fuck you.'"

Seems SNL didn't want Elvis to play "Radio Radio" because it was "too controversial," so he started another song, stopped it, and launched into "Radio Radio."

Cheers,
--
Don

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:06 pm

You totally missed out on an opportunity to "UTFSF" mark's ass!
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:24 pm

yea and supposedly, the whole time during "radio, radio", lorne michaels had his middle finger way up at him behind the camera, until it ended. then he was banned. hehe. i love that song. long live rock and rebels.

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:37 am

I thought the Ashley Simpson thing was hilarious. I think if she had more than about 4 months of time on stage, she'd have been able to roll with the glitch like her band did. And then when she came back with that excuse at the end-- "My band started playing the wrong song and..." it stopped being entertaining and just got annoying.

I think I've seen clips of the Elvis thing. Brilliant. That guy is cooler in his sleep than most people ever dream to be.

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:49 am

No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:
You totally missed out on an opportunity to "UTFSF" mark's ass!
does it count if i thought it but just didn't type it?

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:19 am

I saw the Elvis thing live....I am that old....
The story was that he wanted to play Radio Radio, but since SNL is on NBC, which is in the radio business, they told him to pick another song. If you don't know...Radio Radio is a song that slams the whole radio business, etc....
So, Elvis agreed before hand and had done another song in rehearsal. So, when the cameras were rolling on live TV, he did a measure or so of the rehearsed song, then turned around to the band and waved the song off. They then counted off Radio Radio......pure genius. It was definitely one of the more classic music moments on TV.

This Ashlee Simpson thing is music moments on TV at their worst. It was painfully obvious that the backing track for the previous song was still live on the computer...or whatever and still on a dedicated fader on the board. (explain that one....) When the band started the song, the piped in vox for the other song started. The band then, swung into that song to try to cover.
I was laughing my arse off.....
later,
m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:57 am

I saw the clip on the news and it appeared that the entire band was playing the "wrong" song which prompts the question - Were any of them playing?

Here is another one (hope this isn't hijacking) What do you think of semi-live shows? Queen used to be known for playing live with tape. And on a smaller scale I saw a small rockabilly show where they played with backing tracks (Deke Dickerson)

Personally, I think it is weak. Sadly weak.

J7

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:02 am

johnny7 wrote:I saw the clip on the news and it appeared that the entire band was playing the "wrong" song which prompts the question - Were any of them playing?
They actually started playing to the backing tracks (which were clearly some loop percussion and the vocal) and you could tell that they were really playing. They were being pros, and just going with the flow.

I'm actually not terribly bothered by the fact that this happens, because at this point, I know that most pop stars like Simpson are doctored up so much that they can't POSSIBLY sound as good as their overproduced records. I'm more bothered by the fact that they're still trying to cover it up.... "oh the band screwed up" "it was supposed to be some taped percussion tracks...." Come on. It was a friggin' Protools session that someone forgot to open up to the right song!

Someone must have gotten fired in a hurry for that one.

If people would come clean about this stuff, I don't think anyone would care. I really don't.

Roger

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:51 am

The band was acutally playing. You can tell that just by the sounds, definitely not pre-recorded sounding. If you notice when the percussion starts in the stage left guiarist looks back at the drummer and the drummer is REALLY hesitant the first couple beats.

I really think the band got an evil laugh out of it. They had also better be given a BIG freaking bonus for taking the fall like that.

Why didn't she just put microphone to mouth and start singing the "wrong" song?

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:06 am

Rodgre wrote: If people would come clean about this stuff, I don't think anyone would care. I really don't.

Roger
I totally concur. I think they should just say "that's the way this type of music is, and if you don't like it, tough titty." 8)

I also think these swindlers should hire more competent (or non-vindictive) sound people.

Just think of the chaos that would have ensued if one of them had a "wardrobe malfunction" in addition to the performance malfuction.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:17 am

i bet that if they (including ashlee) had continued with the same song, no one would have noticed. they all sound the same anyway.

object88
takin' a dinner break

Post by object88 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:34 pm

spankenstein wrote:Why didn't she just put microphone to mouth and start singing the "wrong" song?
Because not only is she not an artist, she's also not an entertainer.

psytechguy
ass engineer

Post by psytechguy » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:42 pm

hee hee!!!:)

"From Lucky Magazine interview:

LM: What are your takes on lip-synching?

AS: I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real
talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never
lip-synch. It's just not me."