maz
buyin' a studio

Girl Fight

Post by maz » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:04 pm

Lavigne Says Fake Pop Starlets Are 'Pathetic'

Fri Oct 29, 3:58 PM ET

Entertainment - Reuters

By John Benson

CLEVELAND (Billboard) - With Ashlee Simpson (news) in the news this week following a disastrous lip-synching appearance on "Saturday Night Live," Canadian pop singer Avril Lavigne (news) says it's "pathetic" that some young artists don't sing on their own record or on stage.

While she can relate to the pressures of learning how to play live and work an audience for the first time, Lavigne says she takes exception to the practice of lip-synching.

"You know what? There are a lot of people out there today, who have become stars or famous musicians -- I wouldn't really define them as a star -- with a record only because they have connections and only because they have money and for the wrong reasons," Lavigne, 20, told Billboard.com.

"And it sucks. Actually, I know for a fact there are some young female artists who don't even sing on their own records and who don't sing live. And that is pathetic."

Ashlee Simpson, the younger sister of fellow reality TV starlet, Jessica Simpson (news), was caught out during her "SNL" appearance when a pre-recorded vocal track started playing as she held her microphone to her side. She initially blamed her band, and then a sore throat that prevented her from singing live.

Lavigne, who is six days older than Simpson, added, "I got signed because of my voice. That's what (then-Arista head Antonio) 'L.A.' Reid signed me on. He said, 'Wow, you are only 15 and you can really sing. I'm going to sign you.' And I've never lip-synced once."

Lavigne is in the midst of a North American tour to promote her newly released second album "Under My Skin," which has sold 1.8 million copies to date in the United States. She drops in on Hampton, Va., Oct. 30.

She says she's more confident than ever. On stage, she's singing, playing piano and even showing off her drum chops on one song.

While she has been doing a little writing on tour, and live material is being gathered for an eventual DVD release, there is no timetable for her next project. Said Lavigne, "No, I'm going to be out here for a while."

Lavigne recorded the theme song for the upcoming "SpongeBob SquarePants" soundtrack, due Nov. 9 via Sire.

"I sang the theme song but did my own version for the movie," she said. "I had never done anything like that before so I said that would be kind of cool. You know, a good experience. I just did a rockier version -- a me version of it."

Isolation
steve albini likes it

Re: Girl Fight

Post by Isolation » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:37 pm

'a me version of it', hahahaha...twunt...
if it'll wang your chung then it'll thompson my twins...

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:20 pm

That is like a politician criticizing another politician in the same party.

Various wafts of the same turd.

O-kay, sure. Avril before Ashlee, but after everything else.

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Post by YOUR KONG » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:45 pm

maz wrote:Lavigne Says Fake Pop Starlets Are 'Pathetic'
You could've stopped right there and still be hilarious. :rofl:

She must be done kicking Hillary Duff's ass...

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:45 am

i got my 10 year old and my ex gal tickets to Avril Lavigne. for the price she better fucking sing. this friday. i wonder if it's gonna be a bunch of 10 year olds? how weird. i guess the beatles were the same way. they will have a blast...but it's still not music.

MIke

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:02 am

maz wrote:"Under My Skin," ... has sold 1.8 million copies to date in the United States.
How does this happen? :evil:
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:11 am

No Wave Casio Kitsch wrote:
maz wrote:"Under My Skin," ... has sold 1.8 million copies to date in the United States.
no shit?!!

DD
audio school

Post by DD » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:51 am

very simple. 12-17 year olds are a major part of the record buying public.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:01 am

DD wrote:
very simple. 12-17 year olds are a major part of the record buying public.
That is true, but it's also true that 12-17 year olds of yesteryear were buying Beatles and Nirvana records. There has been a major disconnect most likely due largely to media consolidation.
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

maz
buyin' a studio

Post by maz » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:20 am

That is true, but it's also true that 12-17 year olds of yesteryear were buying Beatles and Nirvana records. There has been a major disconnect most likely due largely to media consolidation.
Yeah, but somewhere between the Beatles and Nirvana they were buying New Kids On The Block and Milli Vanilli. And Tiffany.

djdrake13
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by djdrake13 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:42 pm

I'm surprised people are rippin on Avril.. She isn't that bad.. She might not be your thang, but she does sing and have a band.. and kinda rocks... She appeals more to girls but i can deff. dig some of her songs. sometimes i wonder why everyone has to bitch about famous/mainstream music.. is it only cause your jealous that someone else made it??

On a different note.. I saw a hilarious picture of Avril at a club with Anna Nicole Smith and Courtney Love, what a wild crew that would be!!!!
Shut up and Strip Productions
"Always Hiring"

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:55 pm

I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:56 pm

bigtoe wrote:i got my 10 year old and my ex gal tickets to Avril Lavigne.
That's nice of your ex-gal to take your 10 year old to a show.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:03 pm

djdrake13 wrote:I'm surprised people are rippin on Avril.. She isn't that bad..
No. It's isn't that she's that bad or that we're jealous. It's that other people, kids, whoever, think she's interesting enough to give her that level of success. If you're selling a couple million records, you're in the top club, and you should be raging merit at that point...

theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Post by theslumlord » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:12 pm

Honestly, I don't think people rip on her because their jealous of her commercial success. I think it has to do with the way she presents herself as a "rebel, punk rock girl".
I think I'd have more respect for her if she just came right out and said that she needs a lot of help to write her songs, and she loves to frequent Hot Topic. Oh yea, also to stop acting like her "look" is so unique, and not fabricated.

Maybe liz phair, jewel and avril can go on tour together. they can call it "Rock for Success".