Anyone here want to leave the country? (or lives in another)

stillafool
re-cappin' neve

Re: Anyone here want to leave the country? (or lives in anot

Post by stillafool » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:43 am

Maybe I could hook you up with my brother in Amsterdam. After having an asshole accountant for a roommate, you'll begin to realize that everywhere else is either as bad or worse than America.
magritte wrote:I want to get out of the states. This election really disenchanted me. I can't live here anymore. Looking for a roomate, or someone in like...sweden, who will let me stay for a while.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:40 pm

Well, provisionally I'm sticking around, but if somebody offers me a job in another country... well, probably I'm taking it. Looks like I might already be spending a month working on hardware/network device drivers with my bro in Norway...

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:51 pm

Sco, I recently read that Norway is one of the top 5 places to live in the world.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:06 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Sco, I recently read that Norway is one of the top 5 places to live in the world.
It's pretty nice. My brother has been there for almost 12 years now, and he's got his complaints, especially about the same kind of blockheads we have here. But I sure like visiting.

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:20 pm

I just read Maureen Dowd's column in the NYTimes (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/04/opinion/04dowd.html
) which had this paragraph:
Tom Coburn, the new senator from Oklahoma, has advocated the death penalty for doctors who perform abortions and warned that "the gay agenda" would undermine the country. He also characterized his race as a choice between "good and evil" and said he had heard there was "rampant lesbianism" in Oklahoma schools.
"Rampant Lesbianism"!?!? What a problem to have!? Fuck leaving the US! I'm taking the nearest Greyhound to Oklahomo! Where there is girl on girl action on every street corner! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:57 pm

sserendipity wrote:
superluminalmagus wrote: Also, I hope they reinstate the draft. That outta wake some of these motherfuckers up. I only hope they snatch some rich kids and put them in GI along with the rest. Put the rich kids' asses on the battefield, not just the poor and minorities.
Don't worry - that is simply not going to happen.
Interestingly, this morning I got a message on my answering machine from an Army recruiter asking me to call her back. I haven't, and I'm not sure if I will, even if only to tell them to leave me the hell alone. But I imagine she'll try again.

Obviously, getting a call from a recruiter for the volunteer army isn't the same as hearing from the draft board, but it does give me a little pause--I am still of military age, after all, but why did they call me, an anti-war democrat with a career, a wife, and a 4-month-old child? How did they get my number?

I understand the idea that compulsory military service could force the rich kids to serve along with the poor, but here's a problem: if you serve in the military you're pretty much obliged to not only put yourself in harm's way but also to kill other folks if requested to do so--and if you feel that you're not fighting for a just cause then you're in an impossible moral dilemma. I'd advocate mandatory conscription only if there was an option of non-military national/community service akin to the Peace Corps or America Corps. I would gladly do that.

There ya go.

TrumpsHair
buyin' gear

Post by TrumpsHair » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:02 pm

Interestingly, this morning I got a message on my answering machine from an Army recruiter asking me to call her back. I haven't, and I'm not sure if I will, even if only to tell them to leave me the hell alone. But I imagine she'll try again.
I see this as ominous. The writing is on the wall.

dumbangel
pushin' record

Post by dumbangel » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:08 pm

stillafool wrote:you'll begin to realize that everywhere else is either as bad or worse than America.

This is so relative to the actual criteria you're considering. Level of violence? General level of education? Quality and price of public health services?, etc...

The US are a much nicer place to live in than a lot of countries in the world. Ever thought of living in Argentina or Columbia? But overall, i think Holland, France, the Scandinavian countries, and some others are just more peaceful places to live in. There's so much violence in America, and as a result the US as a country tend to bring that violence outside their own frontiers.

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:33 pm

TrumpsHair wrote:
I see this as ominous. The writing is on the wall.
Yeah. Interesting timing that I should get this call the day after Bush declares victory.

Here's an editorial, pretty convincing I think, by Paul Krugman:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/19/opini ... ugman.html

He basically suggests that Bush's promise not to re-instate the draft is unrealistic and compares it to his 2000 pledge that tax cuts wouldn't drive the budget into deficit. Remember that?

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:21 pm

schnozzle wrote: I understand the idea that compulsory military service could force the rich kids to serve along with the poor, but here's a problem: if you serve in the military you're pretty much obliged to not only put yourself in harm's way but also to kill other folks if requested to do so--and if you feel that you're not fighting for a just cause then you're in an impossible moral dilemma. I'd advocate mandatory conscription only if there was an option of non-military national/community service akin to the Peace Corps or America Corps. I would gladly do that.

There ya go.
Hell no - the killing others is the best part of it. It means that all those people who voted for Bush realize exactly what he meant by 'familiy values', now that little Jimmy and Buffy have blood on their hands.

No more hiring a butcher to kill your dinner for you.

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:24 pm

jdsowa wrote: "Rampant Lesbianism"!?!? What a problem to have!? Fuck leaving the US! I'm taking the nearest Greyhound to Oklahomo! Where there is girl on girl action on every street corner! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Simmer down. That's Oklahoman girl on girl action...

Nothing worth seeing here, move along, move along....

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:24 pm

Don't forget, capitalism requires markets. :ar15:

And isn't particularly interested in human needs.

Yeah, we're weird. We have a lot of egoism that doesn't really make sense because it requires having each other to look at. It's like caring about fashion when you're the last person on Survivor. Did the lawyer really make his BMW? The contruction worker his big shiny 4x4 that doesn't see any duty? It's all related to violence. Though trying to take those things away involves a lot of violence too. I guess people have to accidently agree that it's all nonsense.
dumbangel wrote: The US are a much nicer place to live in than a lot of countries in the world. Ever thought of living in Argentina or Columbia? But overall, i think Holland, France, the Scandinavian countries, and some others are just more peaceful places to live in. There's so much violence in America, and as a result the US as a country tend to bring that violence outside their own frontiers.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:30 am

Good news., New Mexico hasn't conceded it's electoral vote yet.

Bernalillo County qualifies 13,000 provisional ballots

Last Update: 11/05/2004 7:55:59 AM
By: Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - Bernalillo County Clerk Mary Herrera says officials are qualifying about 13,000 provisional ballots.

That means county officials are checking to see if the voters were eligible for Tuesday?s general election.

Provisional ballots are paper ballots used by people whose names aren?t on the voter roster at a polling place or by first-time voters who registered by mail but didn?t send in the required identification.

Such ballots can?t be counted until officials determine whether the voter was eligible. For example, if the person wasn?t registered or registered after the deadline, the vote won?t be counted.

Herrera say she should know how many provisionals are good by late Saturday. She says they won?t be counted until the county canvass November 12th.

Bernalillo County absentees cut Bush?s lead by a few hundred votes

Workers in Bernalillo County check and count absentee ballots.

Last Update: 11/04/2004 4:11:17 PM
By: Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE (AP) - Democrat John Kerry picked up 3,885 votes and President Bush picked up 3,268 votes in Bernalillo County?s count of about 7,000 absentee ballots.

That?s a net gain of 617 votes for Kerry.

Bernalillo County finished counting absentee ballots Thursday morning.

Do?a Ana County also finished their absentee ballots, where Kerry picked up about 4,500 votes and Bush won 2,600 absentee votes.

Before the absentee count, Bush had been ahead in Dona Ana County by about 460 votes.

The absentee tally put Do?a Ana County into Kerry?s column.

Bush remains ahead in the state by more than 8,200 votes.

Several thousand provisional ballots remain to be tallied during county canvasses.

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:46 am

sserendipity wrote:
Simmer down. That's Oklahoman girl on girl action...

Nothing worth seeing here, move along, move along....
Now, now. Just because they're a little bit on the substantial side doesn't mean they ain't hotties. If an OK schoolyard looks like a Reubens painting then I'm on my way:

Mmmm, hot muse-on-muse action. Yes please!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:59 am

There's your next album title schnozzle: 'Muse-On-Muse action!' featuring the hit "Hardcore Pants"!
beware bee wear