Interesting take on red state/blue state graph

YOUR KONG
buyin' a studio

Interesting take on red state/blue state graph

Post by YOUR KONG » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:32 am

Found this on BoingBoing.net - some insightful guy decided to represent states not as red or blue but on the spectrum BETWEEN red or blue.

Pretty interesting. Remember, this was a 51% victory.

jdsowa
pushin' record

Re: Interesting take on red state/blue state graph

Post by jdsowa » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:00 pm

Yeah. No major cities = more red.

here's another way to look at the country:

http://chrisevans3d.com/files/iq.htm

digital19
alignin' 24-trk

Post by digital19 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:03 pm

That's funny!

I think someone could do a whole thesis paper on that chart.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:51 am

Here's another interesting take:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/s4/86092.html

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:16 am

This is news? That the coasts and industrial northeast votes Democrat and the heartland and bible belt/sunbelt votes Republican? Why do you think they redistricted 10 years ago!

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:27 pm

sissy_hankshaw wrote:This is news? That the coasts and industrial northeast votes Democrat and the heartland and bible belt/sunbelt votes Republican? Why do you think they redistricted 10 years ago!

SMH
Naw, chaeck out the county-by-county. I'm too lazy to find it right now. Pretty much every major city went Kerry, and everybody else went Bush.

I love my party, but we f-ing suck at getting our message heard in places where people drive pick-up trucks. I don't blame the Rep.s at all. I live in a very rural area and I know the truth: we suck. We have great common-sense policies, but our message delivery just blows: "Well, it's a little more complicated than that..." Identity politics has killed our party. As has our uncanny ability to select the most humorless elitist snoremasters as candidates...

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:03 pm

Trashy wrote:As has our uncanny ability to select the most humorless elitist snoremasters as candidates...
:^:

Now that's just about the most intelligent thing I've ever heard on this topic! Y'know, Trashy, I voted almost exclusively Green and Libertarian this time. I was going to vote for Kerry but I just couldn't do it with a clear conscience. Trust me, I wanted Bush gone as much as anyone else and if I didn't live in CA, where Kerry was guaranteed our 55 votes, I would've surely voted for him. But it is so time for a change. The last Democrat I sincerely believed in (even worked on his campaign) was Paul Wellstone when I was a student at the University of Minnesota. He was, IMHO, the epitome of a public servant. And he was a very engaging and principled individual. Even Newt Gingrich called him the "conscience of the Senate." He's dead now. What a loss- it still stings, in fact.

Anyway, the next four years should be interesting to say the least, eh? I myself am going to work to help some good 3rd party candidates come to the fore. I voted my conscience and it felt great and I want more Americans to be able to do that. "Anybody but Bush" is not democracy.

Kickin it down south,

SMH
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

coniferouspine
re-cappin' neve

Post by coniferouspine » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:15 am

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I thought this was another interesting map here.

Now Vs. Then

(I'll editorialize a bit, and say that as a Southerner living in one of the most racially tense cities in the country if not the world, this map shows me basically who the Republican party is, and what they're *really* all about, when you get down to the core of the issue of right-wing conservative vs. liberal ideology. There's no question that beneath the veneer of right-wing conservaitve "moral values" lies the skeleton of racism and hatred for the freedoms granted minorities due to Democratic-sponsored Civil Rights lesgislation of the 1960s.)
"Every song needs a cranked marshall for mojo, even if decorum requires muting the track."