American Centrist Party to the rescue?

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

American Centrist Party to the rescue?

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:10 pm

An interesting site has popped up with a "patriotic" manifesto that appeals to anyone disappointed with not only the election results, but also with the way the Democratic Party is telling all of us to let go and move forward.

Personally, I'd like to tell John Kerry to his face that he's a big fat pussy for conceding the election so quickly; especially after part of his platform was that every single vote would count. But I figure it's his problem that he's an elitist aristocrat that doesn't want to rock the boat for fear of shaking things up a bit too much. Face it, all the aristocrats loose if civil unrest escalates, right?

Here's a link to the sight and I'm also posting the "mission statement":

http://www.americancentristparty.com/

AMERICAN CENTRIST PARTY

"Returning America"

It is with great anticipation that I am announcing the formation of a new political party for 21st Century America. It has always been the expectation of the Framers of the Constitution of the United States that there be multiple political parties in competition with each other when deciding the presidency of this great nation. Yes there are multitudes of political parties available for one to join. However, not many of these parties are given serious consideration by Americans, and even fewer make it to the presidential election ballot. Upon contemplation of why this is, I am convinced it is because each political party has at its heart, one or only a few "fringe" or niche issues which keep its membership low, and isolate that membership from the "mainstream" of American politics. There are even political parties whose own purpose is self-defeating, and squanders an otherwise huge potential following. The net result is that, over the decades, only two "major" political parties have kept an iron grip on the jugular vein of American presidential politics. These two parties are of course the Republican and Democratic parties.

Over the course of the last few decades, American politics has fallen into a rut of gluttony and waste. Our government "Of the People, By the People, and For the People" is little more than a slogan. Big business, Political Action Committees (PACs), and special interest groups are now the only ones being represented in Washington, D.C. The average American citizen cannot possibly hope to compete with the special interest lobbies and their funds. The average American citizen can barely make ends meet each month. Thus, our representation has been bought out from under us. However, the most dramatic changes in our government came about on one more day that will live in infamy.

In the course of one day, America was changed. I speak of September 11th, 2001. America was forever altered both here at home and abroad. Terrorism was the trigger for sweeping changes of how Americans both viewed themselves and others around the world. Lives were lost; lives were changed; and our government was changed. Since then, the lives of every American was changed either through the economy or through the security measures enacted to (allegedly) safeguard America and her population. The leadership of this great nation, acting in good faith, did what it could to both punish those responsible and protect the rest of us. Initially, the effort was brave and strong. Today however, we see a different picture emerging. Our troops are in faraway lands, surrounded by hostile people, being the sitting ducks in chaotic shooting galleries. Families of these brave warriors have not seen their husbands, brothers, or sisters in months, or even years, with no word on when their loved ones will be home. The bodycount is getting higher each day. Our economy is suffering as the current administration pumps billions of dollars into nations that are killing our husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, and sisters. Americans are out of work while foreigners take their jobs for 1/10 the price. All the while our president ignores the growing problems.

It's time for a change. The old models of politics no longer work in America. Those who have made and continue to make America great are being left by the wayside by a greedy and corrupt corporate culture, and an administration oblivious to the problems Americans, REAL Americans are facing each day. It's time for a change. Stand up and be counted for a better tomorrow and a better America. Don't be left out. Join this effort and be heard. Join this effort and send a message. Join this effort and be part of the winning team. Most of all, be proud to be an American once again! Let's return America to those who make it great-- all of you and all of us! United We Stand!

andyg666
re-cappin' neve

Re: American Centrist Party to the rescue?

Post by andyg666 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:39 pm

So instead of the lesser of two evils, we've got the slightly less evil parts of both evils? WTF?? We've got that now! What we need are ALTERNATIVES!

:evil:

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:46 pm

This proposed party is just the democratic platform with a different name slapped on. Karl Rove will have 1 person show up on Fox News saying that the ACP is more liberal than the democratic party and it will instantly be de-legitimized.

Changing names around doesn't change the make-up of the country, either. Right now if you live in a suburban or rural area you are more likely to vote republican because you live isolated from alternative cultures, ideas and lifestyles. The future of our society can only be secured by taking drastic measures. Imposing a $50,000,000 tax on developers who build homes or buildings under 5 stories is the answer. This would encourage urban development and, in turn, breed tolerance.

Tell me that isn't a good idea.....

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:00 am

jdsowa, that's the nicest avatar I've seen here yet. Very nice.

What do we do then, as Americans?

What I used to do is stay out of politics completely. I'm 40 years old and had never voted in a Presidential election in my life until this election. I never saw a reason to vote, but felt that I had to this time because of the constitutional battle that's being waged against us (IMO) by Bush.

The Centrist party at least seems to be centered around the constitution and the protection of our bill of rights. Neither the Democrats or the Republicans seem to be too concerned about the "war against the people" right now and both parties are willing to vote in favor of destroying the bill of rights all together.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you know of another organization out there that's pushing a radically different agenda?

And if not, what are your thoughts on what should be different? And what is your idea of a political philosophy that could propel real change and would interest a majority of Americans?

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:21 am

jdsowa wrote: Right now if you live in a suburban or rural area you are more likely to vote republican because you live isolated from alternative cultures, ideas and lifestyles. The future of our society can only be secured by taking drastic measures. Imposing a $50,000,000 tax on developers who build homes or buildings under 5 stories is the answer. This would encourage urban development and, in turn, breed tolerance.

Tell me that isn't a good idea.....
Cripes, dude. Cripes.

So your idea of tolerance to cultures is to eliminate differences? Rad.

Your thinking blows my f-ing mind. Seriously. I'm blown.

Rick Hunter
dead but not forgotten

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:29 am

dude, Phil, since you live in rural america, do you like go to klan rallys and stuff? Can you score me a shirt?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:51 am

Rick Hunter wrote:dude, Phil, since you live in rural america, do you like go to klan rallys and stuff? Can you score me a shirt?
small town california = klan rallies? heh...

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:10 am

Rick Hunter wrote:dude, Phil, since you live in rural america, do you like go to klan rallys and stuff? Can you score me a shirt?
Also, is there a factory that makes the klan uniforms or are they all handmade? I've been wondering that for a while. "We got a fact'ry. Bigg'st 'ploy'r 'n Miss'sippi." :wink:

Oh, no offense to anyone in Mississippi. Unless of course you are a bigot.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.

jdsowa
pushin' record

Post by jdsowa » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:30 am

trashy wrote:Cripes, dude. Cripes.

So your idea of tolerance to cultures is to eliminate differences? Rad.

Your thinking blows my f-ing mind. Seriously. I'm blown.
That plan was a joke. But I'm also not clear on how having people of different ideologies, lifestyles and cultures living closer together would "eliminate differences". I live in a suburban area. I can't remember the last time I saw a gay couple here. In NYC I would see one almost every day. The fact is, the less you're around 'different' people, the less tolerant of them you'll be. That is illustrated clearly by doing a sie-by-side comparison of the electoral map and the population density map.

KennyLusk wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is, do you know of another organization out there that's pushing a radically different agenda?

And if not, what are your thoughts on what should be different? And what is your idea of a political philosophy that could propel real change and would interest a majority of Americans?
In 1992 the conservatives got burned because of a 3rd party candidate who took away votes that otherwise would've been theirs. In 2000, the liberals had the same experience. I think the memory is all too recent for both sides. 2008 will be seen as far too important to have either side split up their votes again.

If controlling the power of government, safe-guarding the constitution and protecting civil liberties are your priorities then this is really a question of how to keep the neoconservatives out of power. Neocons are neither conservative nor liberal. They want increased power to spy on and control the populace. Increased authority to re-reoute your tax dollars to a couple big corporations run by their friends and associates in the form of construction contracts, and increased power to inflict their personal religious ideology on the population.

Over the next four years the battle should be fought on 3 fronts:

1. Public attention needs to be shifted to the US's foreign policy for the last 20+ years and how it has brought us to this point. This is the toughest part as people don't like to hear about this kind of thing and newspapers try their damnedest to avoid writing about policy. Jewish Americans have also put up a great defensive front where any policy critical of Israel is immediately branded 'anti-semitic'.

2. You have to out-meme the neocons. They're incredibly successful at getting simple ideas out there and subverting other ones. Why is "liberal" a dirty word, but "conservative" not? Liberals should stop trying to explain their ideas in detail and take their cues from the neocons. Look at how they've handled the question on whether we should've invaded Iraq:

"How can you not support the troops?"; "How anyone can say the world isn't safer with a tyrant like Saddam no longer in power?"

These answers avoided the real issues such as "why Iraq and not North Korea?"; "Why should we spend $200 billion to re-construct someone else's country rather than spend it domestically?"

Brilliant stuff. Liberals need to get their act together.

3. Lastly, I think it's just as important this next time around (both in 2006 and 2008) to get out and campaign for traditional conservatives and progressive, socially liberal conservatives to wrest the power away from the neocons.

trashy
dead but not forgotten

Post by trashy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:55 pm

jdsowa wrote: The fact is, the less you're around 'different' people, the less tolerant of them you'll be.
I'm bored of arguing this. You're right: rural people are ignorant rednecks with no real concerns of their own. No one can be taught tolerance, you have to actually encounter every single variation of the human race to be tolerant toward them. We should ignore the fact that large numbers of rural voters did vote for Kerry, and blame this on voting machine problems. The only reason to vote Republican is because of their rascist policies, and the only reason to vote Democratic is because you really believe all people are equal. All people except rural whites, that is...

superluminalmagus
gettin' sounds

Post by superluminalmagus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:10 pm

trashy wrote:
jdsowa wrote: The fact is, the less you're around 'different' people, the less tolerant of them you'll be.
I'm bored of arguing this. You're right: rural people are ignorant rednecks with no real concerns of their own. No one can be taught tolerance, you have to actually encounter every single variation of the human race to be tolerant toward them. We should ignore the fact that large numbers of rural voters did vote for Kerry, and blame this on voting machine problems. The only reason to vote Republican is because of their rascist policies, and the only reason to vote Democratic is because you really believe all people are equal. All people except rural whites, that is...
Agreed. And living in a metroplex or whatever the hell you wanna call your cities does not automatically mean you're a tolerant person.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Franklin.
The second is this: `Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these. - Jesus Christ.