Let's critique eachother's websites.

phait
takin' a dinner break

Re: Let's critique eachother's websites.

Post by phait » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:03 pm

nlmd311

I really don't mean any offense with my 'kidding' statement it's just I would expect a more professional look from a record label. Sure you could still do the robotic 'mascot' and such but I could see that and the site as a whole done much better while still including the theme you wanted.

ubertar

What I've been starting to do is have the Bio or About page as the first page, and usually the updates as a sidebar on every page instead of an individual section, so we kinda share the same idea there. As for the photo being pretentious, don't worry about it... I admit to being pretentious but I make light of it so either way I don't take myself *too* seriously. I just like working with such lighting and contrasts in photos and I thought it fit overall. I think plain photos can be boring, so I like to toss it around. Anywho, thanks for the crits!

luktown.org

I kinda like the 'map' idea even though it's just a background. It's easy to find info on the site (even though it's not complete), and the different BG colors to pick from are welcome except I didn't realise you even had them until I saw this suspicious icon in the lower right of Firefox... I clicked it and was able to change the colors, then I saw the little square links. One thing that could confuse visitors a little is the couple links that go to different sites... in the 'listen' page - the link to soundclick, and the link to bridgeport. I'd of had them open in new windows instead of breaking the general site theme but not a big deal.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:40 pm

phait wrote:So where's my critique, my sites aren't perfect, but if that's the impression I should leave with.... *runs with it!* :biggergrin:
run with it. they all look great. I really like http://written.phait-accompli.com/

you appear to be a pro designer so STOP using tables! ;)

will

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:45 pm

I'd say not even semi-pro. I have a service but I don't make my living doing it. Personally I think the tables issue is subjective. They work well, but I should probably at least explore the CSS alternatives, but I'm not converting entirely to them. Thanks.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:54 pm

phait wrote: it and was able to change the colors, then I saw the little square links. One thing that could confuse visitors a little is the couple links that go to different sites... in the 'listen' page - the link to soundclick, and the link to bridgeport. I'd of had them open in new windows instead of breaking the general site theme but not a big deal.
thanks, good point. I'll note that next to the links. not really into links that pop open new windows though, it's a little obnoxious.

will

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:05 pm

nlmd311 wrote: I really like the map on the homepage of the luktown site. There is just something about it. Really neat. Did you draw it, or is it a scan of a map you manipulated?
thanks. manipulated scan of Wailuku (luktown). that's weird about the bridgeport site. you're not missin that much.

nlmd311 wrote:What are the x, and c on the top of the homepage of the luktown site? Just curious. Seems like some type of source code or something.
it's cause I'm anal and obsessive about being standards compliant. I orta make them more invisible. really just there for me while I'm designing. they are links to the w3 validator and which will tell me what's wrong with the page. I actually found it helped solve a lot of problems for me as I was learning css so now it's just habbit. anyway, the x checks xhtml and the c checks css.

god I'm a dork.

will

chsept
audio school graduate

Post by chsept » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:43 pm

Cool thread! Just like music, you always wonder about other people's impressions. I concur with most of the observations so far (side scroll, red color, etc.) If I can grab some time tomorrow, I'll see if I can add anything to what's been said.

Craig
September Audio
Creative Recording, Editing, Mixing & Restoration

TELE 503.295.1277
www.septaudio.com/music.html

Mr. Dipity
carpal tunnel

Post by Mr. Dipity » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:34 pm

chsept wrote:Cool thread! Just like music, you always wonder about other people's impressions. I concur with most of the observations so far (side scroll, red color, etc.) If I can grab some time tomorrow, I'll see if I can add anything to what's been said.

Craig

Yes, I'm amazed by the amount of useful response, and very thankful I start the thread.

I'll get to checking out everyone else's site and critiqueing this weekend, I promise :>

phait
takin' a dinner break

Post by phait » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:55 am

Redesigned.

Is the body text too dark? I had one complaint of that so far... (typical complaint).

http://www.thecarbonflaw.com

right
audio school graduate

Post by right » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:05 am

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:21 am

Hey, I've paid my dues with writing 5 reviews. How 'bout some for mine?

www.geocities.com/ubertar

foley
pushin' record

Post by foley » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:25 pm

wing wrote:http://www.headexplosion.com/jonathan/

just random art i've made
I like this site a lot, mainly because the art is cool. And the Sufjan just makes me happy.

Nice use of the navigation buttons - they force you to see parts of the art you might not normally see.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:48 pm

foley wrote:
wing wrote:http://www.headexplosion.com/jonathan/

just random art i've made
I like this site a lot, mainly because the art is cool. And the Sufjan just makes me happy.

Nice use of the navigation buttons - they force you to see parts of the art you might not normally see.
thanks! it's all pretty old... this winter break expect some new stuff... check back sometime.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:13 pm

HAH!
WWRHS?

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:40 pm

Here's mine if anyone cares to take a peek:

http://www.weswillenbring.com/

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:17 pm

Mine wasn't working in my first post. But she's all brand new now. Here.

www.Istramusic.com

Mike