piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

kcrusher
tinnitus

Re: questioning Rummy

Post by kcrusher » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:20 am

Mr PC wrote:Oh no, not a critical assessment of the war from the Guardian!!!!

It's doomed for sure, now.

The effort in Iraq could surely worsen and could fail, but I can't believe what I read in the NY Times these days concerning Iraq. The news section is so relentlessly anti-war, yet another negative story about Iraq doesn't mean much to me. Again, the bad assessments could surely pan out, but I'm not going to trust the NY Times to tell me about it.

PC
Dude, yer killin' me! The report was from the CIA!

As for the comment about how the defense department can't make the armor fast enough - give me a friggin' break. It's been 3 years since this war started, congress has approved billions upon billions for the war and you're saying that they can't make the armor fast enough? that has got to be the biggest crock of shit i've hear in a long while. in ONE MONTH alone before the Normany invasion U.S. industry made over 12,000 planes and vehicles for the assault and now you're saying we can't come up with some armor for a few thousand vehicles after 3 YEARS?

yeah, right.

as for your post high tek - right on to the first half, but i don't really agree with the 'racist' and other comments in the second half...
America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.
- Hunter S. Thompson

Greenlander
steve albini likes it

Post by Greenlander » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:45 am

Mr PC wrote: In the reporting I saw the military was doing all it could to remedy the armor problem, but they can't make the stuff fast enough.

PC

It's just a pity that invading Iraq was such a an urgent necessity. If Iraq hadn't been such an "imminent threat", they could have waited until they had sufficient equipment.
My setup: brain into muscles into hands into fingers into guitar into cable into pedal into cable into amp into air into mic into cable into box no 1 into cable into box no2

space_ryerson
steve albini likes it

Post by space_ryerson » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:09 am

I love it how the US allotted tons of money for this war, but has only spent something like 13% of it. What happens to all of that money when the war is over? (rhetorical) Shouldn't they be spending on something like, oh, the war?

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:15 am

bombastique wrote:Dude, yer killin' me! The report was from the CIA!
Those goddamn hippies at the CIA!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:54 am

Oh, wait, I thought you meant the Culinary Institute... and dammit, now I've got that stuck in my head to the tune of "R O C K in the USA" by Mr. Mellencougar.

Goddamn hippies in the CIA! Goddamn hippies in the CIA!

Oh shit, sorry-- now you'll ALL have that stuck in your head. :oops: :P

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:27 pm

ubertar wrote:
bombastique wrote:Dude, yer killin' me! The report was from the CIA!
Those goddamn hippies at the CIA!
Best laugh I had all day.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Mr. Weallicker
audio school

Post by Mr. Weallicker » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:56 pm

:evil: :ar15: :worthy: :nonono:
I hate these fucking things.
http://www.ifilm.com/viralvideo?ifilmid=2651126
"Listen, the next revolution is gonna be a revolution of ideas. A bloodless revolution. And if I can take part in it by transforming my own consciousness, then someone else's, I'm happy to do it."
-Bill Hicks

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:01 pm

high tek wrote:
Mr PC wrote:It's great to live in a country where a soldier would have the chance to question the Secretary of Defense and feel comfortable enough to ask a gutsy, critical question, and then that incident would be shown all over the media.

Mr. PC
its BETTER to live in a country where a government doesnt purposely allow terrorist attacks to happen so he then in turn can attack any country for oil and have his peoples support on the basis of fear.

its better to be in a country where the leader doesnt change the constitution, turning the country into a police state where people dont even have a right to a lawyer, open trial, and require evidence to proove one guilty.

its better to be in a country where the leader DOES NOT raise the threat of terrorism by attacking anyone he wants premptively, and ultimately starting WW3.

its better to have a leader that doesnt ruin the economy and destroy the environment.

its also better to have the person in charge to have an IQ higher than 12.
seriously.
shit on a stick would be better leader.

welcome to colombia 2

==========================

regarding this whole topic of soldiers giving rumsfeld 'tough' questions.

please.

who fuckin cares.

their objective is to kill more people......who cares that they dont have the right tools to do it.
or that they 'spoke up' to rummy about it.

big deal.

its almost as if this issue is there just to keep our minds OFF THE REAL ISSUE .......that this war is totally illegal.

anyone that feels any less for the innocent civilians that died in this war than the soldiers that died... is plainly racist.

I think you are a lunatic and I don't care what you think--

Mr. PC

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:04 pm

I know that the story sourced people in the CIA. What I don't trust is the judgment of the writers who put it together. Yes, I can easily believe that there are some in the CIA who think the war is going badly.

PC

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:08 pm

Mr PC wrote:I can't believe what I read in the NY Times these days concerning Iraq.
Aiming for a rebirth of the Know Nothings? I guess if you don't trust the Times to report facts, the Nation must be pure propoganda, eh?

Seriously, this is called "burying your head in the sand". Don't do it.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:39 pm

The New York Times is not the only news source. I get news from a variety of other sources. I agree that one should never bury their head in the sand.

PC

BTW- Just saw a report about the armor issue on News Hour on PBS. They had a retired general and a soldier with the group Operation Truth. The soldier aired similar grievances forcefully. The gist I got is that the tactical situation on the ground post-regime change presented threats that weren't anticipated, requiring armor on vehicles that didn't before have such heavy armor. The troops are improvising to meet the new threat until the Defense dept. gets the newly designed vehicles to the battle. At this time most of the vehicles have been delivered.

Would it have been great to anticipate the threats and have the right gear? Yes, but I didn't see any compelling information to support the idea that the higher-ups didn't care or weren't acting on the problem.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:18 pm

ubertar wrote: to the tune of "R O C K in the USA" by Mr. Mellencougar.

Bastage.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:44 pm

dwlb wrote:
ubertar wrote: to the tune of "R O C K in the USA" by Mr. Mellencougar.

Bastage.
:twisted:

BWAAHAAHAAAAHAHAHA!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:46 pm

Damn, now it's stuck in my head again. And I had forgotten all about it, too.

If it wasn't for those meddling kids...